Rem 700 factory lug thickness and switching barrels

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by urbanrifleman, Mar 13, 2018.

1. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Gold $$ Contributor

Say I want to move a shouldered barrel from one 40x action to another. Is there an easy way to reindex the barrel and set the headspace?

What is the stock lug thickness on a 40x?

2. jpretle

jpretle Silver $$ Contributor

I have measured them from .181-.190, w/ most being .186-.189

3. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

I'm pretty sure boltfluter can make you a custom lug, if you need it. I think I remember him getting set up to do that.

4. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

some people make recoil lugs to certain thicknesses to get the barrel from another gun to headspace right. most would say you need a surface grinder to grind the lug to a thickness required. you might get lucky and the barrel headspaces correctly though.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  5. hoz53

thats good info, i assumed they were all the same (within tolerance) i wonder if they sometimes adjust headspace at the factory by using different thickness lugs.

6. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

hoz53 likes this.
  7. shortgrass

shortgrass

It appears OEM Rem "barrel brackets" (recoil lugs) are a stamping. Measurements are all over the place. Mic on one side might say .187" and straight across from there might be .188". No consistent thickness from one side to the other, or top to bottom. That is why a custom, ground lug is preferred. For the even thickness, not necessarily the added strength. The hole needs to be as close to 90* to the flat sides as possible, too.

hoz53 and hogpatrol like this.
  8. akajun

akajun

I miked all my leftover factory lugs, most were within .001 if each other. The big issue is that all were warped, you could Rock them on a granite surface plate.
    I surface ground them all, taking about .002 off each side to get them flat. When grinding it revealed some were twisted, some curled like a potato chip, etc. I think that is where the fault lies in a factory lug

boltfluter and hogpatrol like this.
  9. urbanrifleman

10. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

When I do this job, I put on a .250 recoil lug, move the shoulder back, and double check all the other dimensions involved in fitting a barrel to a bolt nose.

11. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

I use factory lugs, but I do have a surface grinder. I also have recoil lugs fitted and attached to the bottom of the receiver.

12. urbanrifleman

I had my main rifle lug pinned. I am trying to get my others pinned, and it is like a 6 month wait for an hours worth of machine work!!!

13. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Look up Rex Reneau in Okie City.

14. urbanrifleman

It is too late. I cannot send off my action now. Season is coming. Go to get to working up loads and practicing!!

TC260 likes this.
  15. hoz53

to drill a hole in a lug is pretty simple. they do have a tool you could get from brownells to keep the lug strait. to me the pinned lug is convieience. ive tightened barrels without pinned lugs lots of times by using shims. you can figure out how thick a lug you need and take one to a local machine shop and have them surface grind it for you and drill it for a pin for that matter. seems simple to me. oh and if you do this id use an after market one not one of the junk factory ones

16. alinwa

alinwa

PTG, jus' sayin'......