Rem. 700 300 blackout rifle???

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by Phil, May 3, 2018.

1. Phil

Phil Gold $$ Contributor

How is the feeding with this action and the fireball case????

I realize that it was designed for this case, but that doesn't mean that they got it right....:confused:

I have a potential project and am considering using this as a starting point for the build.....

Phil.

2. Sniper338

Sniper338 Silver $$ Contributor

isnt the 330 blk rem 700 just a 223 short action?

I hear the model 7 actions work better for fireball cases.. I had a model 7 to do a vartarg on but ended up going custom. I was advised at the time a regular 223 action wasnt the best choice.

3. dellet

dellet

Both Actions work fine. I have used both, probably prefer the Model 7 for size, but harder to source upgrades. AAC did use the Fireball bolt in the Model 7.

Both also work fine with a Bobsled.

Since this is a project, you might consider using an AI mag design if you;re using one. This gets you around the mag length limitation of 2.260" and allows you to treat the cartridge in a bolt action like any other.

Feeding lengths over 2.420" is no problem.

4. Phil

Phil Gold $$ Contributor

I may just put a single shot follower in it as the shoulder angle may cause issues feeding such a short case.

5. dryhumor

dryhumor "Travel light, arrive well balanced" Silver $$ Contributor

I have one of the M700 AAC .300BO. It feeds fine, ejects fine, and shoots really fine....

6. dellet

dellet

You won't know till you get there, but a fair amount of the feed problems is not so much bullet length as weight forward.

A lot of bullets work really well when you get rid of the magazine length restriction. But having more weight in front of the shoulder than behind, causes more feed problems than the action design.

You have only about 100 grains of case and powder, it's always nose heavy.

7. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

it has its own FB follower and mag box. feeds just fine from that combo.

8. yotehater

yotehater Silver $$ Contributor

Dusty, I've been following this thread with interest and wanted to ask you which one are you referring to? Also, is it just the bolt that is different?

9. Phil

Phil Gold $$ Contributor

My plan is to try the factory mag / follower with this rifle, I`m not sure if the combination of case length and shoulder angle will give me issues or not.

I`m hoping it will work just the way it is.....;)

10. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

remington actually has a fireball follower and mag box that is different from a 223 mag box. not saying a fireball case wont feed from the 223 set up but there actually is a different part

11. Prose

Prose

fireball r700 actions work as designed. ejection is a dribble but it works.

12. dellet

dellet

The the fireball magazine box is too short for many 30 caliber bullets. Overall length was less than 2” for the cartridges.

AAC went with a fireball bolt and 223 box. Remington was 223 for both. Both allow for 223 length of 2.260”.