Reloading Dies - Std vs High End

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Phil3, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Phil3

Phil3

I am building a 6.5 x 47 Lapua rifle and see that there are relatively inexpensive dies to more costly custom stuff. Just wondering if there is some point of diminishing return. I have a Forster Co-Ax press, and could use Forster FL die honed to my neck size and their micrometer bullet seater. Or, could opt for custom dies made by any number of makers that cost quite a bit more (i.e., Whidden).

Phil

2. Barlow

Barlow Silver $$ Contributor

Imo, hone the Forster die and go to shootin. Barlow

Laurie, Byrne and Mad_Charlie like this.
  3. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER

Phil, - The finisher chambering reamer that was used to chamber your barrel would be a determining factor on this.
    - Provided your not oversizing the body (if your rifle has a minimum spec'd chamber) of your brass and your neck is honed to give you 0.002 to 0.003 neck tension I'd say the Forester FL die would probably be a good choice. - IF your chamber is minimum then you may need to go the custom die route. - Do you have a print for the chambering reamer ? or possibly you can speak to the gunsmith who chambered your barrel & ask him if a custom set of dies are a prudent decision or if the honed F/L Forrester would be fine.

dmoran, SPJ and murray brook like this.
  4. JohnHenry

JohnHenry

Would suggest a Harrell's fl bushing die and a Wilson seater for about $125 total ex shipping. Obviously need an arbor style press for the Wilson seater.

5. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

Standard dies have been getting the job done for YEARS. Then, we really get into reloading and shooting and "just have to have something better". I think most of us have been there, done that and will never go back to the same old thing. Got to have nothing but the best. Depends on who says "this is the best".;) You get "the best" and next month, the best isn't good enough.:rolleyes:
    Vicious circle but we're already hooked.:D

New Gun, Barlow and Bc'z like this.
  6. boltman13

boltman13 Gold $$ Contributor

Accuracy costs money. How accurate do you want to be? Can you afford it?

7. dstoenner

dstoenner Silver $$ Contributor

I can only state what I have found with the FL Forster sizing die. They do size low runout cases. But what I found is that i could not move the shoulder at all because even with the normal shell holder they are too long. I bought a 6x47 L and 6BR and both will not move the shoulder. If you have a min chamber like I do then at some point the case would grow where it will not chamber

I do not know how long it really is. But for noe I am staying with my Whidden FL bushing dies with his bushings and using my redding competition shell holders to control how much shoulder set back is happening

David

8. Joe R

Joe R Gold $$ Contributor

Phil,
    That's an impossible question to answer without knowing anything about the reamer or chamber size that your gunsmith will cut. You should be talking to the guy that has the reamer, he can tell you more in 5 minutes than anyone here can tell you in a thousand posts.

Joe

dmoran and LA50SHOOTER like this.
  9. Barlow

If you can't set the shoulder back with any die, file, grind, sand,or chew some off the base of the die until it does. Call Forster and they will tell you the same. Barlow

10. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Its not just about the accuracy. A hammer from harbor freight will drive nails but a new estwing will do it easier. You can get by with a forster and load those shells but until you get a perfect fit custom whidden you just dont know what nice is

11. shtnrlse

shtnrlse

A custom sizer die ( F/L made to your chamber ) will take you way further.
    The amount of sizing done to the entire case is way less (namely the necks).
    Minimizing annealing and prolonging case life by far..... Bang for buck, easiest way to go...

vahena and Sniper338 like this.
  12. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

I witnessed a young gentleman win a 100 yard match with ammo loaded on a Rockchucker with a Lee neck sizing die and Lee seater die .

New Gun, rwj and Barlow like this.
  13. Barlow

Phil3, Here you have an opportunity to do some testing. First you can shorten the die or shell holder that you already own(I prefer the die) to get desired set back. Do your load work up and testing, and then get a custom die and repeat the process. Your targets will be the final judge. I'm betting you will see 0 difference. Good luck, Barlow

LRPV likes this.
  14. Joe R

Joe R Gold $$ Contributor

Phil3,
    At my range about 5 months bask, Fredrik Sjodin, shot 600-55X at 300 yards with a .223 Savage . The ammo was sized with a $20 Lee Collet Die. So don't fall into the trap that expensive is better. It all depends on your skill as a shooter and reloader.

Joe

15. Uncle Ed

Uncle Ed

Buy a Forster die and have the neck honed and if needed lap the top of your shell holder for more shoulder bump.

Or buy a custom Whidden die made from you fired cases, just remember to read the dies instructions.

WARNING
    Failure to adhere with below warning could result in damaged and unsafe brass!

The Whidden Gunworks Sizer Die is engineered with a shorter overall length (OAL) compared to other manufactures of sizer dies. This means you can set the shoulder back further if desired based on your specific application. This die is not intended to be used while bottomed out or screwed flush with the shell plate. Doing so will result in the shoulder being set back too far, possibly rendering the casing unusable. During initial setup screw the die flush with the shell plate then back off 1-1 1⁄2 turns, NOTE: Each full turn of the Sizer is approx. .071” so it does not have to be turned very far to make a noticeable adjustment. Instructions are included with each die set and can also be found at www.whiddengunworks.com-reloading-dies-instructions.

Barlow likes this.
  16. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

Echoes what I witnessed,Lee Collet Die and a .223...although it was 100 yards,not 300 . That is some fine shooting by Mr. Sjodin at 300 yards .

17. MislMan

MislMan Silver $$ Contributor

Have the gunsmith who is chambering your barrel make you a sizing die from the same reamer. Best match you will get.

18. TrxR

TrxR

How can you make a sizing die with your reamer? Doesnt the die have to be slightly undersized?

19. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER

The bullet seater die would be chambered with the chambering reamer that cut the rifle barrels actual chamber. And A Full-Length Sizer would be cut with a "Re-Size" type reamer that is spec'd to be the size wanted to size brass based on cartridge dimensions and brass spring-back. - So yes, a resize reamer is slightly under sized in comparison to the finisher chambering reamer.

Joe R likes this.
  20. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

Standard Dies or Custom ? My reloading life with them !
    I have had many of each . I have gotten good Ammo from most ?
    6.5x55 Foster Fl . Fine job on body and shoulder set back . Neck tension? Pull Bullets out by hand . Foster checked Die stated in spec. ?? Told me try Norm Brass your Winchester neck walk to thin ?
    Ordered a Redding FL Bushing Die . With the bushing size from a loaded round just fine ?
    The Run our from the Bushing Dies was .009 to .011 ?. Fround a RCBS Match FL Die on Close . End of Story makes every round good .
    I shoot a lot of Palma . I wanted a good .308 Die. I order Redding, RCBS , Bushing Match .
    More headaches !
    I had a very Old RCBS SB Die with Hornady Floater Ball . It make Great Brass .....

I think it can be the luck of the Draw on Dies ?
    I do have a set of Widdens Dasher Dies they are spot on .
    Good Luck

Evlshnngns likes this.