Reloading bench surface

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by snert, Feb 10, 2019.

1. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

I have a painted surface reloading bench. Gets dirty from graphite lube, etc etc. What do you guys use to cover your bench, keep stuff clean? I need to cover 20x40 area or thereabouts.

TIA,
    Snert

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

formica if youre high class or the old brown hardboard if youre like me. once the hardboard gets dirty grab another piece. my reloading bench just happens to be 4x8 so I buy a piece and throw it down without even having to drag out a saw. it has a 1x4 edge around it set up to be flush with the top so its not glued or screwed or nailed down at all- the only thing holding it down are a few presses and the shelf over the back

jepp2, JBT, jds holler and 2 others like this.
  3. riflewoman

riflewoman Gold $$ Contributor

Formica, but it chips. Hardboard (Masonite) gets dirty and can warp. Varnished “Butcher block” work tops are probably the best Compromise. Epoxy coated is better.

'Freak and Schandler like this.
  4. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

Formica. I bought a CHEAP 6' countertop at HD

rwj, mikeinct, Don and 1 other person like this.
  5. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

Anybody using a mat of some sort? the pink towel leftover from a bad bathroom color choice isn't cutting it! :oops:

6. Rsadams

Rsadams

Nothing.... I clean it up every time I load.... But I load in a spare bedroom and I don't want the carpet to become an IED....Lol..... Wet paper towels and thats about it...

300_whisper likes this.
  7. Jsjac

Jsjac

When I built my reloading bench I use the 2 part epoxy Finnish used on bar tops .
    It has worked out well for me .easy to clean and also looks great .

Rsadams likes this.
  8. Carlos Hathcock

Carlos Hathcock

Made mine from hardwood flooring. Pretty durable finish and easy to clean....
    20190105_164707.jpg

9. msinc

msinc

Mine is covered with 1/4" thick light colored Corian. Cut to size with a good sharp new carbide blade in a Skilsaw and screwed down with countersunk wood screws. Works great, stays flat and cleans very easily. Not exactly the cheapest thing to put down, but it does work very well.

10. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold $$ Contributor

I skinned a piece of MDF with a sheet of formica. Cleans up easy

[​IMG]

11. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

H. Depot sells a hard board about 1/8 thick with a white acrylic finish. SKU number is 447562. Cost is about $11 for a 4x8 ft sheet. There is also a plastic 4x8 ft sheet SKU 179646 and a fiberglass 4x8 panel SKU 121586
    Next best thing is a pre-made counter top that strong solvents or paint won't affect and can be easily cleaned.

Two under counter kitchen cabinets and a pre-made counter top makes a very good loading/work bench, leaving room for your legs and chair.

12. rkittine

rkittine Gold $$ Contributor

My bench tops are just 1 side finished 3/4 inch plywood that I stained and than coated with multiple coats of Polyurethane.

Bob

Toejoe12 and Mark W like this.
  13. Mark W

Mark W Gold $$ Contributor

Mine is plain old 3/4” plywood with stain and couple coats of polyurethane.

Edit: looks like I’m not the only one ....lol

14. JSH

JSH

I used a light colored self adhesive floor tile.
    I have put down real short carpet over the top of one bench, gets dirty or oil soaked, tear it off and replace.
    Carpet helped keep small parts from bouncing off and I to the unkown never to be found.

15. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

I have a sheet of lexan covering the top of my pine top reloading area. It's 22"x 8'.

16. rkittine

rkittine Gold $$ Contributor

I like the Floor Tile idea and may try that, Should stick to the Poly

17. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Hey Parker! I have some leftovers in my shop. I might have a thin piece of Corian that big. Let me dig around, today.
    Josh

SPJ likes this.
  18. sawcarver

sawcarver Gold $$ Contributor

I have white masonite and I keep it clean by spraying it down with simple green and wipe it off works great for me

SPJ likes this.
  19. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

Try
    Home Depot Formica should do the job, a pan head screw at each corner and your stylin !!

20. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Silver $$ Contributor

I use a piece of heavy black rubber matting, cut to fit the bench top at about 2.5 x 6 feet. It was cut from one of those inexpensive rubber hallway runners (mats) you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot for maybe $15-20. It is turned upside down to provide a more uniform surface. The bottom surface (now on top) is not perfectly smooth, but has a relatively minor "pebbly" texture. For me it has worked out great.

JBT likes this.