Reloading 6BR

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Jim Buck, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Jim Buck

Jim Buck

I was thinking of getting a 6BR. I have noticed several post relating to custom dies, and the technical aspects of loading for the 6BR. I am wondering if it is going to be a lot more work and a load that will be over my head.

I currently load for my .308 and 22-250 and it seems pretty straight forward, I neck size until they need full length resized.

So is the info I am reading on the 6 BR just from highly technical bench rest 1000 yard shooters who need the additional steps, is the 6 BR that much harder to reload, or can I treat the load the same as I do when I am reloading my other items???

2. DCRYDER

DCRYDER Site $$ Contributor

The 6br reloading is no different than loading a 308 or 22-250.

The bushing dies, neck turning, inline seaters are things that can also be used for your 308 and 22-250 to enhance their accuracy potential and extend brass life.

3. RonAKA

RonAKA

You can load 6BR just the same as your 308 or 22-250. They are small cases so no huge press really needed.

I think what you see is the fact that only a very few factory guns are chambered for it, and then tend to be the higher end stuff -- Cooper, Savage Target Actions. It is either that or a custom gun. So once you have invested that much in a gun that is capable of shooting small groups you want to do the reloading as well as possible.

You certainly could buy some inexpensive dies and make some great loads. One simple step up is to get a standard Forster FL or Neck die and have them hone out the neck so you either need no expander ball, or only use an over sized expander ball to very lightly kiss the ID of the neck. I believe Forster only charge $10 for this service. Bushing dies give you a bit more flexibility on neck tension. And the fancy seating dies are a large part convenience in seating loads to various depths easily, and also in part seating with less runout.

You can go as basic or complicated as you wish.

4. in2deep

in2deep Site $$ Contributor

I can dump in anywhere from 29 to 30.4 grains of powder and seat them anywhere from touching the lands to .080 off and any of these combos will hold an inch at 300 yards and limiting factory is reading the wind. Had to quit doing ladder tests after a while cuz there was almost no difference and was wasting ammo and barrel life looking for a ghost.

For grins even shot a few rounds jumped .100 after reading Mr. Bergers bullet seating ladder test advice and that kept them in 3/4". at 300 and only messed my mind up even more lol.
    This is my first attempt at reloading centerfire so you will be able to do better easily and the caliber was chosen as it is known to be a no-brainer and easy to load for.

5. fdshuster

fdshuster Site $$ Contributor

If you go for a no-turn neck and use Lapua brass it's no different than any other cartridge, except for one big exception: it's extremely accurate. ;)

6. bozo699

bozo699 Site $$ Contributor

That's funny right there Frank,....and very true ;)
    Wayne.

7. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Site $$ Contributor

New brass, out of the box, prime, dump your powder charge, seat the bullet to your desired length and go shooting.
    Anything more than that is on you and what you think "you" need/want to do.
    Custom dies, weight sorted brass, bullets and powder charge, turned necks. It's all in what you want to do. Me, I'd rather spend time pulling the trigger. ;) Sure glad we all don't think the same. ;D
    And you'll be surprised at just how accurate you can be with the 6BR without "too much work". 8)

8. HillbillySniper

HillbillySniper Send It!

Well said! Its all up to you on how much work goes into reloading for it. +1 Norcalmikie

Hillbilly

9. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Site $$ Contributor

And after you fire that first group that you can cover with a dime, you're hooked! It only gets better from there. ;D