Regulator and gauge mod for the Giraud annealer...

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by TerryH, Feb 18, 2018.

1. TerryH

TerryH

Thought I would share a mod I did on my new to me Giraud annealer. Love the machine but had a difficult time getting the flame just right. The stock torch valve adjustment is coarse and a bit difficult to repeat. The regulator also evens out the flow so as the pressure in the bottle decreases the flame will be consistent. I saw a few YouTube vids on regulators and thought I'd give it a try myself.

Here is the torch setup as it comes from Giraud.

[​IMG]

And after adding the reg and gauge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video showing more of the process. Links to all the parts are included in the description of the video. Total cost was $35.64. Everything was acquired from Amazon.

Edit to include the links to the parts:

The regulator: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4GTKUP/?tag=accuratescom-20

The gauge: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087UBLIK/?tag=accuratescom-20

The fittings: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQN4IS/?tag=accuratescom-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQM8IU/?tag=accuratescom-20

And a video of the machine in operation.

Hopefully this is helpful information for someone.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    DarkStar, JimSC, Nvclay and 4 others like this.
  2. Archer

Archer

Thanks for the info...I too have fought with that stock adjustment knob...

TerryH likes this.
  3. chardog

chardog Silver $$ Contributor

Great idea! Any chance you have part numbers from Amazon? Did a quick check and fittings hard to find.

TerryH likes this.
  4. TerryH

TerryH

fatelvis, ngb1787 and chardog like this.
  5. chardog

chardog Silver $$ Contributor

Thanks! Parts ordered.

TerryH likes this.
  6. Comrade Terry

Comrade Terry Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks for this, Terry. I just ordered the parts.

TerryH likes this.
  7. ngb1787

ngb1787 Silver $$ Contributor

Thanks, parts ordered!

TerryH likes this.
  8. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

looking to get a Giraud ,,with the regulator, wonder how it would work with a 25lb. propane tank? bar-b-que and anneale at the same time!!

Just Dave and TerryH like this.
  9. TerryH

TerryH

That's exactly how this guy has his set up...with the 25lb tank...not to BBQ at the same time. :D

10. pirate ammo

thats what I was thinking, the small tanks work,but regulate and go BIG,,less change out and do more,,but on the bar-b-que side only postoak or hickoroy

TerryH likes this.
  11. TerryH

TerryH

Hickory without question.

12. pirate ammo

born and raised in northwest Florida,lower Alabama,,hickory,,for some reason moved to Texas,postoak

TerryH likes this.
  13. Michael C

Michael C

Great post and video. I ordered the parts. Thanks!

TerryH likes this.
  14. Just Dave

Just Dave Silver $$ Contributor

I got the same parts, only put the 25# tank, regulator and a 6' hose that I run up the back of the bench, so it can be tucked away when not in use..
    The larger tank is much better, pressure will not change when running large batches ( like 4-600 cases of 50BMG )

TerryH likes this.
  15. TerryH

TerryH

I saw some guys doing that but for me the throw away is fine. At this point I'm only doing my .308 cases for F-T/R so at most 200 at a time. Perhaps I'm just paranoid but I preferred the smaller one also so as to not have 25# of propane in a spare bedroom. ;)

Just Dave and Comrade Terry like this.
  16. Just Dave

Just Dave Silver $$ Contributor

Up until I did this ,, I had run across almost 50 bottles of MAPP gas, for FREE Even using them to start campfires in the back yard, I only went thru 3-4 little tanks a year.
    One day I was moving things around, and came across almost 10 tanks that had leaked out completely , somewhere over a 5 year period inside my attached garage.
    I remember the Propane plant fire in Texas ? a few years back, and envisioned a bunch of miniature versions of that, going off during a fire, and decided to sell most of them cheap.
    Yea, for sure not inside the house ,, and double sniff-check those tanks iffin you ever decide to take the hose off,, some of them don't seal back shut when you take the fitting off..

TerryH likes this.
  17. TerryH

TerryH

Wow. That's crazy. Good point. Never thought about them leaking down like that.

Just Dave likes this.
  18. TerryH

TerryH

One last mod and I now call it good. Friend of mine added a volt meter to his Annealeze to make setting the potentiometer easier so I followed suit. Coll little mod. Volt meter is $6.99 from Amazon. More time spent cutting the mounting hole in the case than anything else. Simple 3 wire install. Works great and makes setting the speed super easy.

Link to the meter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXMLIL8/?tag=accuratescom-20

[​IMG]

Vid of the completed annealer in action. IN the description on this video there is a link to my buddy Joe's video showing the install on the Annealeze. Same setup on the Giraud.

Jdne5b and Toejoe12 like this.
  19. wolfman

wolfman Silver $$ Contributor

Nice! Looking forward to making these upgrades. Thanks for sharing.

TerryH likes this.
  20. Michael C

Michael C

I installed the parts last night, and I found it to be an improvement. I also installed a new speed control that has a wider range so it is not too touchy. Very easy to do also. Not my video but I used it for the instructions:

TerryH and Just Dave like this.