refinish stock

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by nilebartram, Feb 4, 2018.

1. nilebartram

nilebartram Silver $$ Contributor

I have some older FWB air rifle and I would like to refinish the stocks. Can anyone refer me to any information that would correctly help me to do a fine job . nilebartram

2. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

A very thorough and careful sanding with decreasing grits of paper, finishing with about 400, and repeated applications of Boiled Linseed Oil, (BLO) is fool-proof, beautiful, and will develop a bond between you and your rifle.:) jd

3. Rsadams

Rsadams

I like a hand rubbed tung oil , there's good directions online... It will take a week or two to do right but it's very nice when done...

4. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

5. USMCDOC

USMCDOC Silver $$ Contributor

6. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Sorry I'm late. I was putting my new duplicator together.
    Nile:It would be nice to see what you have. Pics of what the old finish looks like and shape of the stock would help. It would give me an idea of what grit to start with and get going. It would also be good to know what finish you want to end up with. The surface prep depends on that. Josh;)

USMCDOC likes this.
  7. joshb

8. USMCDOC

Josh, i am sanding a Ruger laminated stock.. but i don't think that i want to finish in it's natural laminated dress.. i was thinking about painting it.. how far down should i sand it? Just to where the original clear is removed?

9. joshb

What are you going to paint it with? They have some new primers that will stick to almost anything. The safest way is to get to wood. If you're getting an auto shop to do it, I'd take to them to get advise from the guy that's going to do it. It would be nice to only have to scruff up the surface with some 220.

10. USMCDOC

Well i have a custom paint supplier round the corner from me.. i really like the primer they have from a "spray can" gaff gaff! Which i use on plastic all the time.. But i was thinking of doing it meself.. for a fun project.. But can't say that i am a pro at painting.. But i am always open to advise on how to do it and what paints to use..

11. nilebartram

nilebartram Silver $$ Contributor

I will try to post some pics posted soon. nilebartram

USMCDOC likes this.
  12. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

i cant help but there has been some good finishing info in threads here in the past you could try searching for.