Reducing a .300 WSM to a 7mm Rem-SAUM die w/a long neck

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by MDSpencer, Jul 8, 2011.

1. MDSpencer

MDSpencer Site $$ Contributor

[​IMG]
    Four reducing bushings, Tapered body die and a Knurled head nut to hold it all together. Thought I'd share this

2. MDSpencer

[​IMG]

A different view.

3. lynn

lynn

Nice job!!! Your bushings look similar to those done by the late Skip Otto.
    Jay McMunn who passed away just after shooting the smallest group at the 1,000 yard nationals had a tool he called The Super Die.It was similar to your tool on steroids.I think the body was 1.5 inches in diameter but it could have been 1.25 inches.He could neck anything down up to 408 Chey-Tac.
    I could use one if ever decide to market a large version.
    Lynn

4. MDSpencer

I can make a larger one. Wanted to make one that would fit the threaded insert of a reloading press. Say 1 1/4-8tpi or 12tpi. Customer insisted on a 7/8 die body. Back to the die. This die assembly had no problem reducing the neck and body.
    Let me know hat you want and if you have a reamer print.

One more thing. People like Skip Otto can never be replaced. Wished I could have met him.

Mark D. Spencer
    Spencer Tool and Grind
    http://spencertoolandgrind.wordpress.com/
    989-385-0173

5. Erik Cortina

Erik Cortina Team Lapua-Brux Captain Site $$ Contributor

You can do the same by simply running a WSM case in a RSAUM FL sizing die.

By the way, that cartridge is already being used in competition, it's called the 7mm DM

6. lynn

lynn

Mark
    Is it possible to send you a Skip Otto case forming die and have you make a larger version of it?
    I am working on 408 Chey-Tac brass necking it down to work with the 300 grain Sierra 338 bullets.
    Lynn

7. MDSpencer

Erik, I know this could be done... But it seems the fella I know kept breaking his die. If your popping the die in two. You need to look in another direction. An, for the cost, I think he made out well. Less than $180.00 American. Besides for me it was a fun project. An I like Ed and the fact that their are people like him who are thinking out of the Box. I don't mind if the cartridge is currently being used. I never heard of Making Rem-SAUM's out of Norma brass. So I jumped on it.

8. Erik Cortina

I didn't realize the die would break doing this.

My cartridge (7mm FCM) is made by pushing the shoulder on a 270 WSM down .100" and necked up to 7mm, could you make a die for this as well? The shoulder angle stays the same.

9. rewinder

rewinder Site $$ Contributor

Would be nice to make Dakota brass from RUM brass. Randy

10. MDSpencer

If i can get a cartridge print. I could make the die as close to a resizing/reducing die as I can. I believe you will still need some stepper bushings. So, either doing this to a Dakota or a WSM. It all be should be possible. Just send me an Email threw the my website and let me know what you think. Mark

11. Erik Cortina

Mark, how is the runout? In the picture it appears the finished case has quite a bit of runout. Maybe it's just an optical illusion.

Thanks.

12. MDSpencer

I had to look at that again... So I checked using a V-Block, a stop and my Interapid .0001" indicator. The best I can check I found it had .0012" run out. I think that's not bad for freshly minted cases. I would think after fire forming the run out won't ever show. I could be wrong.... Their is a lot of brass moving.

13. pbike257

pbike257 Site $$ Contributor

Mark,

I like the die, and I like the quality of the work you show. There is nothing like a Nicely Ground finish on a die, Looks like you are getting some use out of the Big Brown and Sharp Grinder. One point to be made is that with the top stem the way you have built it, there seems to be little room for adjustment. The Skip Otto die stem was like a piece of threaded rod with a hole in the center. Crude as it may look, it was very functional in that the die was very adjustable for length of cartridge. You could put the shoulder on the case you were building, any where you wanted to.

Paul

14. MDSpencer

Paul, from the pix you sent me. The Skip Otto die doesn't do much for the body. My die, re-sizes the body and reduces the overall length. Am I seeing that Skip die correctly??

15. MDSpencer

What I should say about this die it's very cartridge specific. You still can use the body die to re-size any.300 WSM.

16. pbike257

pbike257 Site $$ Contributor

Right, The Skip Otto Die will move the shoulder back in a series of steps on any cartridge that is the body diameter of the .308 Win, or BR or .30-06. It doesn't work when moving shoulders back on .223 or the like, cases get fat, because of no body support. It also doesn't fit any of the belted or non belted Mag Cases.

It is as it was advertised, A "BR shoulder set back Die". Very general and non cartridge specific. Yours looks as if it were the cadillac for it's intended purpose. And with a set of reamer or chamber prints, you could probably build a specific die for anyones wildcatting needs. In this case a guy wants to use Norma .300 WSM brass in his Remington 7mm SAUM, rather than the Remington (less than desireable) brass.

I too was thinking about Run-Out... These dies are for forming cases, lots of brass gets moved. When the case is fired in the chamber, more brass gets moved... Right out to the exact dimensions of the chamber. From here on out that case never goes back into the case forming die... It is formed and now only needs to go into a shoulder bump die, or full body die... If the chamber is straight, wouldn't 65,000 cup take any runout out of the brass?

Paul

17. expiper

expiper

I am trying to simplify things ....can you jst run a 300 WSM case in a 7mm SAUM resize die and then trim to correct length?....hav you tried that ?...I have done .338's down to 7mm Rem mag lots of times!!! isnt this sorta the same thing?,,,,straighten me out if im thinking wrong...(it wont be the first time)....Roger

oopppsss...I didnt see response #4 on this thread,,,,sorry Eric....we both are thinkin the same way!!!!

18. alf

alf Site $$ Contributor

You can.......about twice.........then the die cracks.........BTDT.......

19. expiper

expiper

This is interesting.....I have never heard of die,,,cracking-splitting-breaking.....I have stuck several pieces of brass and jamed and horsed around ctg cases in several crazy ways.....but never heard of this....are you saying that pushing a piece of brass in a resized die with a conventional press will break a die!!!??,,,,wow..I thought I was the only person who culd break an anvil with a rubber hammer...hahahha....Roger

20. Erik Cortina

Yes it will, but since I have to do about 500 cases, I would hate to waste the first firing just to straighten out cases, not to mention half my barrel life!