Redding Competition Seating die for 45ACP

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by cw308, Nov 5, 2018.

1. cw308

cw308

Every once an awhile I'm getting a bulge on one side , not that often but often enough to bother me 3 out of 50 . The Comp. die has a sleeve which should eliminate the problem . What's your thoughts on the die ?

Chris

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Ive never had an issue with dillon dies for any pistol

3. rwj

rwj Silver $$ Contributor

Did you check that the bulge didn’t exist prior to seating? The reason for asking is that some barrels (Glocks more so than most) do not fully support the case head when chambered. Most press resizing dies typically cannot remove bulges near the case head. This led to roll forming for straight wall cases... http://www.casepro100.com/

4. cw308

cw308

The bulge is from seating the bullet on an angle , it's not at the base . I'm using the RCBS Carbide die TC set of three. Cases are mixed brands , bullets are Precisiondelta 230 gr FMJ .451, I clean brass , wet tumble SS Pins , size , flare , seat , remove taper to 471 on the average . I know some brass brands are thicker then others . When positioning the bullet on top of the flared case do they have to be perfectly square if so wouldn't the sleeved Comp die correct the bulge . Anyone using the Redding Competition Seating die on pistol cases . I do use this die for 308 rounds .

5. MrMajestic

MrMajestic Gold $$ Contributor

Very dry/clean cases, not enough expansion and bullets started incorrectly puts you at high risk for seating issues. This really shows when loading cast/swaged bullets. I have found it easy to make them straight once they are in the shellholder. Hope you get it worked out...

6. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Mixed brass could be your problem.
    Are all cases the same length?
    I'm thinking your bottoming out in your seater and causing the bulge. Back your die up and adjust seater plug.
    As for the sleeve, it's to help align bullet in the case , not to remove case imperfections.

SPJ likes this.
  7. avidflyer

avidflyer Silver $$ Contributor

I use the comp die in 9 and 45 best die Ive used. Very consistent

8. cw308

cw308

I know the problem is from not having the bullet aligned properly, thicker brass adds to the problem , I get the bullets straight but I'm sure not perfect , in most cases the die aligns but I guess with the combination of thick brass and a bullet that isn't exactly in line . Hornady has a sleeved seating die to help align the bullet . I'm going to give it a try . 45ACP is a easy round to reload , the cases never seem to reach trim length , 230 FMJ RN less problems with feeding , pretty simple , just want them perfect.

9. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

If the bullet is setting catywompus it will really flare out mouth as it destroys case and bullet. Been there done that!
    I read a artical on the 45 acp. The case actually shrinks over the course of repeated firings. Test was done starting with new unfired starline brass. The results were amazing.
    I use the hornady's with tape crimp and like them alot.
    Here's some things I learned.
    To much crimp will bulge case at the mouth.
    If cases " are not the SAME LENGTH" you will not get a consistent crimp. Some will have more some less. If to short maybe none at all.
    If cases are to long for die setting you will damage case resulting in crushing and or bulging.
    I figured all this out the hard way after purchasing my Dillon last year.

As stated brass was mixed, I'd bet different lengths. I'd also venture to say rounds with bulges are longer than the case used to set up die. Might even have same head stamp.
    IMHO, you got a couple choices.
    Trim all cases to same length, or length sort and set die to the longer cases.
    Yeah some will have propper crimp whereas others wont.
    Sort your head stamps" I do"
    Seat in 1 step, crimp in another.
    " Separate operations "
    No crimp at all
    " personally I wouldn't not crimp"
    I'm by no means an expert as I just set my Dillon up last year at this time.
    Produced around 3000 rounds of 45 and 380 ammo in process.

SPJ likes this.
  10. Rsadams

Rsadams

Like BCz said crimp in a separate stage...sort your brass out for length and by headstamp...

11. Rsadams

Rsadams

This in Glocks , was mainly on the .40 , I believe it was corrected in the Gen 3... I know my neighbor shoots a lot of .40 with zero bulges in gen4... I haven't seen any bulged out cases in a while... But I do remember them and people trying to reload them..lol I think the op meens a bulge when seating because the bullet isn't seating straight , not above the case heads.

Bc'z likes this.
  12. cw308

cw308

I'm reloading for a Colt New Agent 1911 3" cases aren't bulged from a unsupported chamber but from seating , Im seating and crimping in two stages , crimping if you can call it that is just removing the flare , somewhere around .471 . I check my rounds in a case gage , use to do the plunk test , the Gage is easier for me . Even though the bulged cases chamber and fire , I don't want to see the base of the seated bullet on the case . You can see it's from the bullet angling when seating , I didn't think you had to have the bullet perfectly straight to seat properly . Remington cases are more forgiving , there not as thick . Hopefully the sleeved Hornady seating and crimp die will work out better , I still will use the Hornady die for seating and not use the crimp , use my RCBS die set up for removing the flare . Thanks Again Guy's .

Chris

13. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

If your inferring to being able to see where the bullet is sitting in case making it look
    "fat" in respect to the rest of the case, this is natural.
    Cases are sized smaller than the bullet
    Promoting tension. This is why we put a small ball in case mouth.
    Maybe post a picture so we can see exactly what you are talking about.

Rsadams and rr2030 like this.
  14. rr2030

rr2030

Just curious, do the loaded rounds feed chamber fire and eject ok? I have loaded tens of thousands of rounds of 45ACP, occasionally I can see a slight bulge, they shoot without issue. Using Lyman carbide dies I bought in High school (circa early 70's) and a RCBS taper crimp die.

15. Rsadams

Rsadams

Pictures please , you might simply be oversizing that particular brass and not the Remingtons... I can use just about any brass and not touch my 9mm die , but throw a PPU brass in there and it oversizes it so much it won't fit on the trimmer.... They make good brass , but it's definitely thicker , which could very well be your problem.... You can oversize pistol brass just like rifle , since I load for three different guns I don't care about exact fit to one chamber and don't mind it being slightly wasp waisted and the brass still lives until I chunk it for being work hardened... That's enough reloads on it for me , especially since there's no shortage on it right now , yet I have never had a problem with splits etc...

But I do...

Trim brass to one length or you can sort...
    Sort by headstamp , only using one brand at a time till it's time to scrap them... Then start over...
    Yet i still find a few that's harder than the others in groups of 50.... Even though they are all once fired brass... When I find ones I don't like I mark them , fire them , then scrap them... Replacing with new..

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Bc'z likes this.
  16. cw308

cw308

I have Remington , Speer and Federal being the thickest . I'm going to size with the RCBS Carbide taper die set , expand and flare with the Lyman M expander and flare die , seat with the Hornady sleeved seating die without the crimp set , then go back to the RCBS Seater to remove the flare . Don't mind changing dies , just want to remove any areas or misalignment .

17. riflewoman

riflewoman Gold $$ Contributor

Since I’ve loaded a BUNCH of 45 ACP over the years , being a Bullseye shooter, I’ll offer the following. Most pistol dies tend to over-size the brass due to trying to accommodate variances in chambers and brands of brass. After seating ALL cases will show a bulge at the bullet base and a cartridge with the bulge to one side indicates the bullet wasn’t seated straight. The problem is usually in the expansion more than the seating die. Sleeves could help but the key is proper expansion.

To get proper expansion, spend your money on a Lyman “M” die . If your using a Dillon expander replace it with a “M” die expander. You can get an “M” expander for a Dillon measure here. http://uniquetek.com/product/T1582

Another issue with seating dies is bullet alignment issues caused by the seating stem. With SWC you want to seat from the shoulder of the bucket, not the nose or the tip. For FMJ “hardball” the nose is not a true ball shape so relieve the center of your stem so you seat on the ogive, just like a rifle bullet.

kneedtospeed, Outrider27, SPJ and 4 others like this.
  18. cw308

cw308

riflewomam
    Thank You for answering my post . I ordered the Lyman M die also ordered the Hornady sleeved seating die helps in aligning the bullet and as you stated using round nose FMJ bullets , makes perfect sense how the bullet can seat off center . Hopefully the sleeved seating die will help . Thanks Again. Chris.

MrMajestic likes this.
  19. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

If you read the bulletin by the army marksmanship team.
    They claim the JHP gives better accuracy.

20. cw308

cw308

Bc'z
    I dought a JHP will tighten MY groups . With a rifle I shoot tight groups at 200 yard benchrest , take one 0 off and change it to feet is hard enough for me with both rotator cuffs blown out . Still love shooting an reloading .