Red Dot on a 1911

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Ralph DePorter, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Ralph DePorter

Ralph DePorter

I have a Colt Gold Cup Trophy and would like to mount a Red Dot sight. How do I do this without having my gun machined? I’m thinking there is something to do with the dovetail on the slide,if so where do I get guidance.

2. Dans40X

Dans40X Welder

A Leupold Delta Point Pro holographic sight has mount kits available to fit several slide/revolver configurations(Colt/Bereta/SIG/S&W/Taurus).

The rear sight is removed from the dovetail then an insert is pressed into the dovetail to attach the adapter/holo sight.

Burris offers a Fast Fire holo sight w/ various mount options also.

3. Ralph DePorter

Ralph DePorter

Thanks, I will check both options.

4. xr650rRider

xr650rRider

Check out the Jpoint adapters, they work with the Delta Point but are much better mounts than Leupolds. I've used them on a Les Baer Premier II, STI 10mm and Springfield Trophy Match.

http://jprifles.com/1.6.1a.php

Also EGW mounts for Jpoint
    http://www.egwguns.com/optima/jp-mounts/

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  5. nicholst55

nicholst55 Brass Whore

And, if you want to go old school, there are mounts available that replace the right grip panel.

6. rob67gmc

rob67gmc

I have a couple of Burris Fast Fire II's and a Fast Fire III. I have them on rifles but you can get mounts for handguns. I tried one on a Glock but just couldn't get used to it.

7. andrewsben

andrewsben Silver $$ Contributor

I am using a burris ff 3 and the burris novak mount. They have mounts for other cuts as well i believe.

8. Pawnee Bill

Pawnee Bill

Google Docter Red Dot sights. The U.S. distributor is out of Florida. They have a nice mounting system. If you mount a Red Dot on a 1911 slide it really takes a beating with the recoil.

9. Mistman

Mistman

I have a 6" custom SA 1911 in 10mm w/a Delta Point Pro. I'm personally not a fan of mounting the optic in the dovetail just because it makes it sit so high off the slide it will change your POI between 10-50 yds, alot. If you know your only going to be shooting at 25 yds, always, then it'll probably work fine. I have one on a .22 pistol also, I like to shoot between 10-50 yds w/it and have it sighted @ 50 and just have to adjust my hold if I'm shooting close. It's mounted up high. My 1911 optic is milled into the slide, there isn't as much POI change throughout the distances I shoot it.