recommends on a smith to ream R700 boltways

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by citation7, Feb 9, 2018.

1. citation7

citation7 Silver $$ Contributor

Any recommends on a smith who can ream R700 boltways .705? (i.e., quality work, reasonable cost/turnaround)

I have a couple of R700 LA receivers and .702 PTG (one piece) bolts that it's time they got together.

Thanks.

2. Dans40X

Dans40X Welder

p.m. inbound

3. Caleb85

Caleb85 Gold $$ Contributor

This guy^

4. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Silver $$ Contributor

I suspect there was a google ad above the box where you typed your response? I'm afraid it is gone now. --Jerry

Edit. Now that I posted my reply, I see an ad for Wheeler Accuracy. Can't beat Alex but I think he is too busy building rifles to take other jobs.

5. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Maybe his new bolt would fit the reamed raceway, but what about timing, receiver threads, lug abutments, or squaring the front ring.

6. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Silver $$ Contributor

Isn't that why he needs a smith rather than a reamer?

7. butchlambert

What's your point? He asked about reaming only, I think. How did you read it?

8. Caleb85

No I was referring to Dan Armstrong, who pm’ed him.

9. carlsbad

Oh. I have Armstrong muted so it looked like you were pointing pack to the original post. As you can imagine, since I have him muted, he would not be my recommendation. My bad. --jerry

10. butchlambert

All I will add to this is he should take whatever advice that Dan Armstrong offers.

Caleb85 likes this.
  11. Caleb85

And yes Alex Wheeler would be another good one, but like stated above, I don’t know if he would have the time