Recommended Gunsmith in San Francisco Bay Area?

Discussion in 'Advanced Gunsmithing & Engineering' started by Phil3, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Phil3

Phil3

As a complete newbie to precision shooting, I am considering buying a Savage LRPV or 12 F Class, but then saw that I could buy a tuned Savage action, premium barrel, and benchrest stock for little more than the stock Savage rifle. Do I even need a gunsmith to assemble this, and if I do, are there any highly regarded gunsmiths in the San Francisco bay area? Eventually, I suspect, I will need their services as I pursue more accuracy. I can always ship parts off to someone else, but if there is someone equally good, that is local, so much the better.

Thanks,

- Phil

2. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

If you buy a Sharpshooter Supply stock, which is delivered with pillars, you can assemble the whole gun yourself--you'll just have to do the stock finishing and,maybe) skim bed the action.

I've had a friend who has put together a project just like you described and the SSS stock fit his 10FP action perfectly.

Pre-fit Savage Barrels are available from Douglas,SSS), Lothar Walther, Pac-Nor, Shilen.

I love my Pac-Nor 27".

Pre-Fit or not?
    I would suggest that it's worth the extra money to have a good gunsmith chamber the barrel. All those shops can cut a good chamber. But with your own smith you have a bit more security and you can dictate your neck dimensions and freebore.

3. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

It is about the same price to buy a Shilen prefit as purchasing a blank and chambering it yourself. Check the Barrel Mans prices.
    Butch

4. Rustystud

Rustystud Site $$ Sponsor

Phil:

If you choose not to do your own work. You have a choice of many qualified Smiths. The Big Brown Truck or the Postal Service delivers any where in the USA. Don't limit yourself.
    Rustystud

5. squirrelduster

squirrelduster

I too live in the bay area and have tried a couple of the local gunsmiths and was very disappointed. Setting up a scope is a problem for most.
    Send your gun out to a reputable smith.
    Bedding is easy if you do the research you can handle it.