Reasonably priced stock for FTR, Savage action

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by calgarycanada, Dec 13, 2015.

1. calgarycanada

calgarycanada

To start I'll say what lot of people will later, "you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig".
    Now that discouraging post is out of the way, I'm new to precision game and competition. I'm building around older Stevens action(4.25") which will be plenty for my skill set. I'm looking to get a new stock for it, something that won't break the bank. My first thoughts were to get Richards Microfit but after chatting with experienced guys here I have decided not to coz apparently they need lot of work and specialty tools to finish. I could have done sanding part but shaping is not something I can do, I'll probably screw up. I do like their designs, especially the ones with less drop/angle of butt stock toe(terminology??).
    With our Canadian dollar at historical low my budget has shrunk a lot, I wanted to spend around $500 cad which is $300-350 US, is there any options that you guys can suggest which fits in that criteria that you would use for competition? What do you guys think about B&C A2 or Savage takeoff HS Precision? Are they any good?
    I have choate tactical on my 223 but don't like the weight, fat bottom of butt stock and flexible forend. I have been searching Canadian forums for used stock but so far no luck.

2. CharlieNC

CharlieNC

With the aluminum in the forend I'm surprised you found the Choate to flex. I have a couple and they shoot as well as my other premium stocks; only deficiency to me is lack of adjustable cheek rest.

3. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

If you like wood and can find a VLP stock in the 4.27 screw spacing it is nice for FTR. It is the same shape as the FTR stock without the vents. There is also the BVSS stock that works well and you could sand the palmswell to custom fit you. Both of these stocks should be able to be found well inside your budget range. I shot my B&C A2 in f open a little and it did well with a 27" LV barrel, but do not believe it would handle as well with a 30" heavy barrel.

4. Jdne5b

Jdne5b Gold $$ Contributor

I used a Prairie dog tactical for a little over a year and had no large complaints. Get the money saver, do a little sanding (no shaping, just sanding smooth) and painting on your own and have a great stock at a decent price. It was also very, very light.

http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/3.html

5. calgarycanada

calgarycanada

Thanks for the tips guys. Stockade is what I'm leaning towards. Has anyone used one of their bench rest stocks for prone? I don't shoot with cheek weld so I think their benchrest model will work nicely.

6. Jdne5b

Jdne5b Gold $$ Contributor

That's how I shot the prairie dog tactical. I had one that was a solid flat bottom, the comb is low enough that my cheek barely touched the stock with a NF BR scope.

The BR stock would be nice to have if you ever wanted to shoot off a rest, I imagine he could put whatever type of bipod attachment method you need on it.

7. Ringostar

Ringostar

Are you planning to shoot off of a rest or bipod? That can determine what type of forearm that will work better.

8. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

My mid-range ftr .223 is in a Stockade Prairie Dog stock with a NF 12-42 BR scope. I like this stock for prone shooting. It has a bipod swivel.

9. calgarycanada

calgarycanada

Thanks for all the tips. I have ordered Prarie Dog stock from stockade. They have upped their price by $50 coz they are using new material now, we'll see and find out.