Rear Bag

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by bench, Apr 24, 2016.

1. bench

bench Gold $$ Contributor

Guys,
    I need to order a new rear bag for general shooting with sporter style hunting stocks not for F class flat bottom straight stocks.
    I would like a bag that is somewhat tall so I dont have to shim to match my front rest better when I shoot from the bench for load development and also have a larger foot print.
    What do you suggest for a brand and model???

2. Kookie

Kookie

The Protektor bumblebee bags with either single or double stitching between the ears work well for sportier style stocks. If you call them they can make any size or height that you want.

3. LHSmith

LHSmith

IMHO the best for your needs would be a Protector #14 Leather Bunny Ear used with a Skip Otto Bag Stabilizer (Sinclair). Bunny ears so it can be used with stocks with a cheekpiece and also not allow your cheek to contact bag. Bag stabilizer because it is the best method to prevent bag moving under recoil. Leather because cordura can be problematic in keeping it clean and from gunking it up with sprays and waxes....a bit of Talcum at the start of the session and your GTG. Fill both with Regular play sand. Remove swivel studs or keep them behind the bag. Do not "nestle" the pistol grip in the bag ears, keep the bag ears between the pg and the swivel stud.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  4. Shynloco

Shynloco You can lead a horse to water, but ........

Since Protektor has already been mentioned, take a look at the Edgewood Original Rear Shooting Bag; the Edgewood Minigator that has a handle for easy carrying and then the (boat) Edgewood Gaterbag. Whichever bag you go with, make sure you don't get a bag with a wide separation between the ears so your stock can ride between the ears and doesn't bottom out in the area between the ears. Personally I have both the Protekor Bumblebee, the Protektor "Doctor" model and the Edgewood Gaterbag. I use all three depending on the rifle I'm shooting including my STTAR15 which has the PRS stock. Also, you can order a bag from Protektor (directly) that has the "Superslick" material sewn into the ears rather than Cordovan that more restricts the stock from sliding.

Alex

5. Commo

Commo

Bench,

here's a visual of my Sako 7mm-08 Finnlight on a Protektor 14B Bunny Ear rear bag so you can see the relationship to a lightweight Sinclair rest.

My bag has a couple options -- the silver super slippery material over the leather on the ears themselves, and I also went for the 'heavy sand' option..ordered directly from Protektor, which costs a small amount more but they put the sand in for you...which I've found I hate doing...

[​IMG]

I put regular sand in the Cordura front rest and hit it with a touch of silicone spray, which seems to help the rifle move in the bags when shooting.

Commo

6. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

The Protektor bumblebee w/ handle with 3m Ears ordered direct from factory got just what I needed .
    Fast Delivery Great People and cheaper than EBay or Amazon .....................

7. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Get with @Bmessy243 on here and he can make whatever you want and make it look very nice

8. Bmessy243

Bmessy243

Thanks Dusty, As he mentioned I can make any bag to your specs.

9. msinc

msinc

I shoot sporter stocks and I just got the Protektor DR. Works great. If I had it to do over again I would have got it with the handle...this bag is heavy and a handle seemed like something I wouldn't need/want at the time. After having it without a handle I wish now I had have gotten it.