Rear bag for F/TR?

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by TrxR, Sep 10, 2013.

1. TrxR

TrxR

What rear bag are you all using when shooting f/tr?

Thanks

2. jsthntn247

jsthntn247

Post a pic of your rifle. Need to know what kind of stock you have to help you out. I am still in the process of figure it out myself. Improper recoil management and tracking can make a tackdriving gun shoot sharpshooter scores.

3. savageshooter86

savageshooter86 Silver $$ Contributor

4. TrxR

TrxR

Here are a couple of pics

Attached Files:

5. FroggyOne2

FroggyOne2

Just a curious question as to the type action you are using there?

6. Laurie

Laurie

That's a South African Musgrave RSA action if I'm not mistaken. It's a single shot development of the Mauser 98 and was very popular in the UK for 'Target Rifle' (sling shooting) back in the 80s, early 90s before the 4-lug Swing / Paramount / RPA series took off.

It has a heavy, solid round one-piece receiver body and the loading port as the sole major opening, with a two-lug Mauser / Winchester 70 pre-64 type external extractor action but with a much shorter lock-time. They were very popular here, and we still see them around. Our F/TR team wind coaches in the FCWC at Raton both used thrown-together 'Association rifles' built on Musgrave actions, and Jane Messer was 30th in the individual matches, Paul Kent 35th showing how well they'll perform with a half-decent barrel. Paul would have been even higher placed except he shot Day 2 with stock bolts that had slackened off.

7. Laurie

Laurie

I'd use a standard Protektor rear bag, the only issue being whether it'd be a one or two-stitch width on the body between the ears' bases. This depends on how wide or narrow, the buttstock's lower edge is. For a wide and flat buttstock bottom, you want a bigger gap than with a knife-edge shape which is what I suspect your stock has from the photos.

If you go for leather ears, buy stock wax from Sinclair or whoever. This is powdered carnuba wax that acts as a lubricant and won't go horribly lumpy and sticky (like talcum powder) if it rains on you. Otherwise get a bag with Cordura ears that have less friction in them

With the stock being quite steeply raked, you can run your rear bag pretty hard (ie filled up pretty well fully). Most F/TR shooters keep the ears really solid but leave the bag body a little soft to allow fine elevation adjustments to be made by squeezing the bag with the free hand. In your case, moving the rifle backwards and forwards on the bag will have the same (rather larger in fact) effect. You may find it rather difficult to control in fact as a small movement with such a raked buttstock has a very large effect on muzzle elevation.