Reamer Question

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by jsn, Oct 8, 2017.

1. jsn

jsn Gold $$ Contributor

I bought a used 8mm-06 Clymer reamer in allegedly good condition. After deciding I no longer need another project, I was going to sell it when I took a closer look at it. Someone cut the shoulder down, probably to cover or repair having abused it. I believe they slightly over cut it, and the only way to salvage it would be to cut down the neck, making it a tight neck 8mm-06.

Opinions, please.

8mm-06.jpg 8mm-06 #2.jpg

2. mtngun

mtngun

I don't see the problem, as long as the dimensions are OK.
    The slight undercut at the shoulder/neck junction is just normal grinding. Should not hurt anything.

3. carlsbad

carlsbad Details matter. Silver $$ Contributor

remember you push it in. there won't be a lip between the neck and the shoulder. Likely came new like that.

--Jerry

4. Ggmac

Ggmac

Looks Ok

5. Will Henry

Will Henry

The only issue (if it is an issue) is that a reamer which is ground this way will leave a sharp transition from the shoulder to the neck (normally there is a small radius). Nonetheless, I have seen many reamers ground this way and don't have a problem with it. WH

Ksracer and carlsbad like this.
  6. jsn

jsn Gold $$ Contributor

First of all, I have never seen a Clymer reamer from the factory ground like this.

You are also assuming that the person that did this placed it in a fixture that made the cuts concentric to the center line of the reamer. If you looked at all of the flutes and the two undercuts to the neck area, you would know this didn't happen. I didn't provide a photo of each, so you couldn't see that.

This also assumes the shoulder was moved back at the correct angle.

Also, by moving the shoulder back, the neck may be as much as .020" longer than SAAMI (a WAG, to be sure without an optical comparator).

I guess the bottom line is, if you were providing professional services to a customer, would you do this, and use this reamer?

7. carlsbad

carlsbad Details matter. Silver $$ Contributor

It appears you're inferring, implying. or otherwise hinting that this reamer was hand reground. :eek:

8. bibsmachine

bibsmachine Silver $$ Contributor

Run the reamer in a piece of barrel up past the shoulder a bit and inspect it and see how it looks then you will know if it will be a problem.

9. Ggmac

Ggmac

If I was providing professional services , I would not be posting such questions on a forum ! I would know . I've plenty of Reamers like this and they don't give sharp necks or any other issues . Think about it as soon as the reamer is pushed passed the under cut the shoulder starts to cut

10. Grant G

Grant G

But it is impossible for the reamer to put the radius at the neck shoulder junction when it is ground like that. There should be about a .1200 radius there at that junction. It also looks like the neck was set back poorly leaving a bump in the throat area. I would have it reground, or discard it.

Ksracer likes this.
  11. Eddie Harren

Eddie Harren Gold $$ Contributor

Throw it away and buy another reamer. Crying and Bellyaching will only make you feel worse.

Grant G and shortgrass like this.