Reamer prints

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by ChrisT, Sep 3, 2013.

1. ChrisT

ChrisT

Ok so I want to order a couple of live pilot finish reamers,my question is does PTG have a reamer dimension/print page that I can view.I am wanting to purchase a 6BR ,6PPC and either a .20 PPC or a .20 BR,the 6BR will be .270 nk,set up for 105gner's,6PPC will be .270nk set up for 65-68gner's and the .20 will be a no turn neck for the 39-40gner's.
    Just supposing I got a BR reamer set up for 70 gn projectiles is it an acceptable practice to also use the same reamer but with a throating reamer to do a chamber for 105gner's as well or should I have a separate reamer specifically for that.

Regards Chris.

2. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson

I have had very poor luck with PTG returning emails of voice mails. I gave up and went to JGS. They have everything you need and they will get back to you. By the way this is not a one time experience.

3. Carolina Man

Carolina Man

I would have to agree what JohnJohnson just said. I talked to PTG about two weeks ago ordering some gauge and I asked for a reamer print. Got nothing in response to a "sure I will send it right out". Never heard another word from anyone.

George

4. ChrisT

ChrisT

Hmmm mirrrors my experience with them,they appear to have very good products.................just lacking in good communication skills by the look of it,a shame really.

5. JohnW...ski

JohnW...ski

You will be very happy with JGS.

John

6. pburr

pburr

I am waiting on a reamer from JGS right now and concur with the prompt service. I sent them a draft print of what I wanted and within 24 hours emailed me a print that was exactly what I asked with minor corrections (my poor math!). I made some more small dimensional changes to the print and again, within 24 hours they returned the final print that was perfect and I made the order. Just have to wait like 90 days for it is all.

The point is, they actually listen (or read if you will) to the cusomer and provides them what they are looking for without trying to push what THEY think the customer should have based on what prints or reamers are already available!

I got a totally custom reamer based on my measurements without having to send in a dummy round or discuss why I want what I want.

This does not mean that PTG does not put out a good reamer mind you........it's just how I like to do business.

7. wwbrown

wwbrown Silver $$ Contributor

When I call PT&G I always get what I want from the folks up front and if it is a wildcat or new bolt that I have questions about I ask for Dave and get him or leave a message and hear back from him shortly. I buy maybe 3 reamers a year from PT&G so I no big customer unknown to anyone at the shop. Can't say anything about JGS because PT&G has treated me well enough so there is no need to look elsewhere.

Just my experience,

8. Rustystud

Rustystud Site $$ Sponsor

Dave Kiff and Pacific Tool and Gauge have provided me with many years of first quality service. I don't think either need defending on this web site especially since they are a site sponsor. I personally purchase several dozen reamers every year. Rarely have I waited more than a day to get a reply from Dave or one of his staff. They have always been professional. They bend over backward to help their customers.
    They supply prints with their reamers.The also sell a ring binder of reamer prints.
    As with any private business they get backed up from time to time. You would not believe the headaches they face with nemrods ordering reamers that don't have a clue what they need or are ordering.

Nat Lambeth.

9. ChrisT

ChrisT

Rustystud I am happy for you that you get such great service,they always get back to you promptly,...................................................pity I cant get a reply from them at all after numerous attempts,I may have to look at an alternative supplier.....no big deal.

10. Clod-NC

Clod-NC

Hi Chris,hi all

Chris,your experience is just identical to mine,meaning no harm at all to PTG...I read a lot about Dave and his team being top notch and their tools among the best but I never could get a hold of them so I checked first with D. Mason,quite promising at first,but after a while total flunk,and so I skipped to JGS and don't regret it,they're sending my reamer(custom 6.5x57)and go gauge today.Their communication service is just plain great,and their service real nice.Isn't that what we're after?

11. ChrisT

ChrisT

Please understand me when I say that I dont want this to turn into a lets Bash PT&G thread,they have great products at very reasonable prices and I would ideally like to deal with Mr Kiff .
    Maybe I should have asked my question over on the Gunsmithing section,I do agree that great products at good prices are one thing but communication is a big deal to me as well.

Regards Chris.

12. dave kiff

dave kiff

Funny thing. Every time I get a email at dave@kifftool.com or a call or message on 541-826-5808 I get back to folks the same day if they answer my return call. I send out prints all day long. If you try and use a forums private messages you will have no luck as I don't live on them nor wine on them. I have been out of the Office for a couple of days visiting Jerry and Curtis at Stiller precision . I will be back in the office Monday . Thanks Dave Kiff@PTG

13. dave kiff

dave kiff

I don't know if this came through from this smart phone .I think it's a little bit smarter than the owner. Oh ya a couple of guys down here in Texas said the last Quote they got from brand X was $205 and 17 weeks. For a $138 reamer they got from me in 5 weeks. Go figure , Have a good weekend Dave

14. fdshuster

fdshuster

Carolina Man/ George: When ordering a chambering reamer from PTG, I always request a reamer print drawing and they send it as an attachment to an e-mail, usually within 24 hours.

15. joejo

joejo

I just ordered my 6.5x55 imp reamer from Dave. I called a few weeks back and left him a message. A few hours later he called back and was more than happy to talk with me for practically 20 min, answering all of my not so knowledgeable questions. When I called to actually order the other day, they were closing, he still called me back after hours.
    For me, I don't know how the service could be any better?
    Its my understanding you receive a print with your reamer, and can request a copy of anything he has.

16. Carolina Man

Carolina Man

I ordered some gauges and at the same time asked for a reamer print for the Long Dasher. The lady told me she would send the print via an email. Still no print and it's been about two weeks. I had asked to speck to Dave but he was out. Maybe that's the only way to get service, speak to the boss

17. Rustystud

Rustystud Site $$ Sponsor

I recommend if possible you talk with Dave about specifics of a reamer. I also recommend you talk with Kathleen if you can't get Dave. She is as good as it gets and will get your message to Dave. These folks get thousands of orders from single orders to hundreds of reamers at a time. They have had some turn over in the front office and it takes the new girls some time to get up to speed.
    Patients and persistence will get you your reamer. If you order a reamer request the job card number. This insures the job has started. If after a reasonable time you have not gotten your reamer call back and ask about the job card number. They can track it in the shop by computer and check what the status is on that job. I consider my self a good PT&G customer and I wait just like any other customer.
    Nat Lambeth

18. mr45man

mr45man Gold $$ Contributor

I sent brass and a dummy round with a note explaining what i wanted.
    Several weeks later, got a print in E Mail for my approval.
    Gave them the go ahead and several weeks later got the reamer,
    print , and my brass in the mail.
    No problems
    John H.

19. tonedaddy

tonedaddy

I have only bought one reamer from Dave, but got first class service all the way! Thanks Dave!

20. BIGMAC

BIGMAC Silver $$ Contributor

Dave Kiff and Pacific Tool and Gauge (Cece Carvajal)
    A+++++, Good communication, fast shipping. Have requested prints,ordered reamers, go gauges & etc. great services.