Reamer marks in chamber

Discussion in 'Advanced Gunsmithing & Engineering' started by Cloudrepair, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Cloudrepair

Cloudrepair Gold $$ Contributor

I should let you know that I have been a fultime machinist in job shops for over 20 years.
    I have learned to eliminate problem very well.
    Now reaming a chamber is different then most of the things I see and has its own problems one is a reamer forming the finish profile (taper angle flat to flat and taper).
    my first inclination was to do it exactly like TRA suggested and that is exactly the way that caused the marks. So i did a chamber testing a method that rustystud suggested and completely eliminated the marks.
    I don't have a flush system and I am very careful I guess I should have responded that carefuly removing reamer with lathe moving helped.
    Now I don't think the marks were any real problem but just cosmetic and maybe only .00005 deep if that it dosn't take much

2. Will Henry

Will Henry

Butch,
    I know this can happen but if the final cut is fed in very slowly the chip is so fine it's unlikely to scratch anything. More like fuzz than chip. As I mentioned, cases with minimal taper are worse because, if you get a scratch earlier in the job, it may not come out before you are finished. By the way, I do like to let the tool "dwell" at the end of the cut and don't pull until cutting is finished. WH

Cloudrepair likes this.
  3. Cloudrepair

I just did one removing with spindle going no marks in the neck and freebore although i did get to agresive earlier and hit bottom to hard and caused the reamer to jump now the chamber has the appearance of flutes so back in the lathe it goes hopefuly it will clean up quick sense it is threaded for a nut job I can do that although I don't want to take much more off.
    Hmm maybe that is why I got a little carried away with the threads

Attached Files:

4. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Unfortunately a ring from a chip on a flute will not lap out.

5. Cloudrepair

Pics of my last post.
    I may have just made an expenive tomato stake

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  6. Will Henry

Will Henry

To get rid of the "fluting" you will probably have to set the barrel back a little more than the length of the neck; say a half inch or so. Then, wrap the reamer in cloth (just one layer should do), oil it up and feed it in, cutting through the cloth. Do not hold the reamer driver in your hand but support it on the tool post. Do support the reamer on the center.
    An alternative to the cloth wrap is to fill the flutes with plasticine (modelling clay) or heavy axle grease. I have used both methods to fix a chattered chamber. I used to work in a city where the local college had a hobby gunsmithing course and I got a fair amount of practice. So as not to leave the wrong impression, I have to add that I've chattered a couple of my own as well! Good luck. WH

Cloudrepair likes this.
  7. Will Henry

Will Henry

Let me also mention, if the chattering is not evident in the neck, you won't have to set back as far. WH

8. sdean

sdean Silver $$ Contributor

Shoot it. Might surprise you.

9. Cloudrepair

The top two pics are neck and throat area to show no line's in it
    I was getting some chatter but I stopped that right away with wax paper the marks in the chamber came from going in to fast for the second to last cut and hit sholder to hard and it jumped just enough to do that and the last cut didn't clean it up like I thought.

10. Cloudrepair

I thought about doing that to see because they are very faint although they look like canyons in the pics.
    I just got it back in the lathe and I'll put a indicator on it in a minute.
    When I got done and checked I was in a hurry and only checked neck throat and base of chamber and it was good

11. Cloudrepair

Have you tried the grease method?

12. Cloudrepair

Oh I put a indicator on it and got less then .001 movement.
    That would drive me nuts knowing that.
    Some of that is because I was indicating the new throat area

13. Will Henry

Will Henry

Yes I have tried the grease and it works OK but, if the chatter is really bad, I don't think it would do. If a person applies the grease when the chatter first starts, it works well. I used Quaker State axle grease though I'm sure the brand doesn't matter! I've also used the modelling clay and it is as effective. If the chatter is bad, I resort to the cloth and hope there is enough left to ream that it will clean up. Clymer reamers often had a real tendency to chatter and you had to watch. WH

Cloudrepair likes this.
  14. Tim Singleton

Tim Singleton Gold $$ Contributor

Looks like the lead is cutting out of square a little
    May just be the pic. I would worry more about that than a scratch

Ggmac and Cloudrepair like this.
  15. Cloudrepair

I just set it back about .250 and the chamber straitened out to .0005 and is parallel to the throat were dialed in. So it's at least that good.

16. Cloudrepair

The lead on this is centered it was dialed in to .0002 and looks the same for 360*
    If I took a pic every 30* it would look the same in every pic.
    The chamber is tight no slop.
    Not sure if that is normal for a 6.5x47l

17. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Theres some new age gunsmiths that could lap it out we just dont have the stamina to sand that far

Cloudrepair likes this.
  18. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

You cant tell in those pictures if the throat is centered. Its very common for the bottoms of grooves to look like the cut is on an angle or have a radius look to the cut. Thats from the groove not cut to the same depth across it's width. Ratchet is when the groove is deeper on one side than the other, the cut from the reamer will look angled. So long as all 4 have the same angle all is well.

19. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

There is a famous youtube video that recommends stopping the lathe before pulling the reamer out. Lots of good advice from this youtuber but some bad advice too. He has made the Remington tenon dimension process (6th grade math) so complicated that I can't follow him, and i did my Master's Thesis solving a system of partial differential equations with variable boundary conditions.

One of the keys to use of the internet is learning to recognize bad advice when you see it.

--jerry

STS and Cloudrepair like this.
  20. sdean

sdean Silver $$ Contributor

Once you get partial differential equations with variable boundary conditions to relate to barrel chambering then every barrel you chamber will be a record setter.

Eddie Harren likes this.