Reading mirage with fixed 12X

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by Pigdog, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Pigdog

Pigdog

hey guys I'm having a hard time reading the mirage with my fixed 12 power scope. I'm wondering if it is just me or is a 12x scope too low for reading mirage??

On heavy mirage day I can tell it is there but feels like I really need to zoom in just a bit more to be able to see what It is actually doing?? Is this possible with my scope or am I wasting my time?

thanks

2. redrockranger

redrockranger

Zoom and fixed 12x, NO

3. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

What scope is it? My SWFA fixed 12 is great for reading mirage, light or heavy.

4. Pigdog

Pigdog

It is a swfa I love the scope no issues there. So it's not lacking the power to read mirage then?? Must just be me

5. Bob L.

Bob L. Gold $$ Contributor

It may be an issue of focus. I use my spotting scope (23x) and set the focus so that it is clear at a shorter distance, then read the mirage using the number boards as a background (all this is at 600 yds.).
    Do you have a friend whose spotting scope you can try? If you can read the mirage in the spotting scope, you may be able to correlate that with what you see in your scope.

Gb300wm and Dgd6mm like this.
  6. Pigdog

Pigdog

Thanks. Mate unfortunately I don't have anyone with a spotting scope I shoot alone 100% of the time. I will have a look at focusing at a shorter rAnge next time like you suggest