Re-zero before prs matches

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by dunraven, Jun 23, 2019.

1. dunraven

dunraven Silver $$ Contributor

How important is it to check zero at the match grounds, even tho it was done before leaving home? Most times it isn't even possible.

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Id say its paramount. One way to check it is to go somewhere beforehand and just see if its still on from the trip before. Prevailing winds, temp and altitude are 3 reasons it could be off

3. Geno C

Geno C

I like to check zero whenever possible. If it’s not. Then you need to keep that in mind when you make that first shot and know where the bullet is supposed to impact. If you’re finding that your drops or wind is off then a lot of time, it’s that your zero is off to start with

eric32 likes this.
  4. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Gold $$ Contributor

This has been discussed extensively on other forums. The prevailing opinion of prs shooters is that is unlikely that your 100yd zero will shift unless you have made a change in load, gear, etc. While your 100poi may be a little different, it is likely due to human influence which will not repeated in the numerous various positions that will follow. On the other hand changing the scope based on a limited check will affect all subsequent shots. One of the major reasons a 100yd zero is suggested is that it is stable and unaffected by enviornmentals. For my steel shoots this has also been my experience; no significant 100yd off-zero especially considering steel is a large target.

jsimonh and nmjwolf like this.
  5. TikkaSporter

TikkaSporter Silver $$ Contributor

More bad than good has come from day-before-match zero checks/adjustments for me. Shooting 0.2 mil right the day before the match, adjust zero, end up missing 0.2 left the next day... IF I check zero the day before, unless it's off by a lot I'm making a mental note and leaving it alone. If I'm still off in the same direction on match day, maybe I'll make a scope correction.

Then there was the one time on range/zero day when the wind was blowing 30+ mph. Left my rifle sitting on the ground with the bolt open & back while chatting for a minute. Then I jumped behind the rifle, inserted a mag, and ran the bolt fast... that is until it came to a grinding halt on the way down... Gouged the back of a bolt lug so severely that it wouldn't close on my ammo any more. Ended up running to the nearest hardware store (not close), buying some emory cloth, and sanding the high-spot from the gouge on of the back of one of my bolt lugs until I could chamber most of my rounds. That really instills confidence the day before a match...

It wasn't until I re-barreled that we found the piece of sand/gravel that blew into the action and made the gouge. It was still stuck in the lug recess.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Hoodoo and Geno C like this.
  6. dc.fireman

dc.fireman Sling & Irons! Silver $$ Contributor

Oh man... this is going to give me nightmares from here to eternity...

7. rebs

rebs Silver $$ Contributor

I believe it is essential in 300 yd and longer range matches to check your zero in the prevailing conditions at the time of the match. Our club gives us 5 minutes to shoot sighters to check our zero.

8. moondog

moondog Gold $$ Contributor

Happed to me at the Niteforce ELR match.
    Shot good day 1, day 2, not so much.
    Found gravel between the forend and barrel when I was cleaning.

9. PatMiles

PatMiles Gold $$ Contributor

OUCH!!!

10. mauser284

mauser284

Never had a problem in my entire life at match with sudden and unexpected change. I must be lucky but I am very methodical as in Lance Armstrong looks tame by comparison. That said Old Man Murphy likes to sneak in any chance you give him. You do not check for run out of your wheel bearing every day before driving you car. You do not routinely check the diagnostics on your car or randomly check fuel pump pressure and flow rate each day or inspect the the suspension etc.....Most athlete do not tear into their gear looking for possible failure for no reason either. Even if you did check before a match that is no guarantee that your optics might not fail in the middle of a string or midway into a match! How much random sampling is enough? For instance how many hand grenades should a soldier pre-test from a lot before taking them into combat? What is the magic number? How many rounds down range should a person put down range before they feel comfortable going into the field with a weapon? Should a soldier take apart his weapon and go to the range before every single patrol to make sure his weapon is likely to function? What is the magic number and how close to the time of departure is close enough? At what point is it due diligence or just being silly? It can quickly get beyond silly like the guy that thinks buying $200 worth of loto tickets each week will improve his odd's of winning to a significant degree. At what point is it due diligence and at what point is it ignorance of the law of big numbers and a lack of mathematical understanding?

11. Nick Caprinolo

Nick Caprinolo Gold $$ Contributor

If it ain't brook, don't fix it.

12. linebaugh

linebaugh Silver $$ Contributor

Most shoots that is not an option. Build a solid platform with good glass, reload well and let it eat!

13. ballisticxlr

ballisticxlr

^^^ This.

You don't get to zero check at the matches I go to. 1, the MD usually will not allow it as it requires opening the zero range which causes us to start late. It takes a solid 2 hours to get to the range from basically anywhere so almost everyone has to drive in from far away and we start just as soon as just after dawn. Nobody gets to check zero unless they camped out and did it the night before. We show up, kit up and hike up. Your cold bore shot is really a cold bore shot. If your rig is well put together and your load and scope are solid, you should be able to show up and crack off a good shot to any distance your rifle can reach.

14. Delfuego

Delfuego Silver $$ Contributor

I will check it at national 2 day matches. They usually have a 100y board and also have steel to verify at distance.

However a really good shooter and instructor told me to never adjust your zero on the day of the match it more than a 1/10th or 1/4 (unless your rifle took a tumble on the trip out).

If you do you will be sorry. I have seen it happen with bad results. The 100y zero board had soo much mirage, everybody and their brother was freaking out, and chasing zeros. Needless to say come Saturday morning, they were all over the place...