RDF Bullets

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by HillBilly98, Jun 12, 2018.

1. HillBilly98

HillBilly98

Has anyone tried the RDF line?

HTSmith likes this.
  2. HillBilly98

HillBilly98

Sorry folks new to the site and should have done a topic search. I see that this has already been chewed on a bit

JBT, Dusty Stevens and Dgd6mm like this.
  3. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Give em a try and tell us how you like em!

1885Winman4590 and 500Stroker like this.
  4. dsculley

dsculley

I use the 140's in my 6.5x47. Performance is very close to Berger 140's.

5. 6MMsteve

6MMsteve Gold $$ Contributor

I like them ok they shoot good in my 65x284, gonna try the 210s in 300wm

6. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

I ran 140 6.5’s in my 1000 yard rifle .
    Not as good as 140 HB or 142 Sierra.

7. HillBilly98

HillBilly98

8. LGKLAS

LGKLAS

I'm trying to work up a load for my Nosler 140 RDPs for my 6.5CM, Don. I'm using Superformance and RL-17. So far 'no joy'. But still have a charge weight to try on each of these powders. In the meantime, what powder worked for you? TIA, lg

9. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

I ran H4831SC and BR-2 LP and still do . I used R-19 to fire form a 260 Ackley , but R-19 was no good after fire forming went to H4831SC and life was good.
    Don

LGKLAS likes this.
  10. MagnumManiac

MagnumManiac

Tagging in.

Been looking at these in 6.5 140gr for my 6.5x47 and 264WM, just finding them in stock is difficult here in Australia.

I await a report on these.

Cheers.
    :)

11. Beau

Beau

I tried the 70s and they look pretty good to me.
    I seated them over 22.8gr of AR Comp. Out of a 20" Service Rifle, that gave me about 2,740fps. Oddly enough, that same charge, same cases, same primer, same gun, gave me a touch over 2,800fps with Hornady the 68gr BTHP.

They were pretty accurate, giving me a smaller mean radius than other bullets, like the 77 Scenar L, 68 BTHP and the 80gr Nosler CC.

12. Mozella

Mozella

I'll have to disagree after having done quite a bit of careful testing. Bergers are the go-to bullet for off-the shelf readily available bullets in this size/weight range.

The RDFs are like many of the trashy women I've known over the years. They are absolutely beautiful. I'm reminded of a weekend in Tijuana; they're cheap but they aren't free.

They're well put together with really sexy looking tips (be sure to enunciate). Often times they perform well, but they simply aren't either faithful or reliable. Just when you need them most, they let you down.

That doesn't mean you can't love them, but you gotta' be willing to deal with the consequences. Take them to a really important event if you dare, but don't be surprised if you end up embarrassed.

LGKLAS, ledward, ratbuster and 2 others like this.
  13. McGraw

McGraw

Well then, Hornady bullets should only be shot in the darkness of night!

montef likes this.
  14. dsculley

dsculley

Well, Mozella, you are welcome to your opinion but i stand by my statement. I have used them from 600 to 1100 yds with very good success. I was not trying to convince anyone that they should be using them. I think everyone should decide for themselves. i was simply responding to the question with my experience.

Apparently you have tried them and they didn't work for you. Just because they didn't work for you does not mean that others have not used them successfully or that they won't work for others. I guess since you referred to them as cheap so you think Bergers are better because they cost more. I use Bergers and like them, but i also like the performance of the RDF's. I find having more than one option to be a good thing when components become scarce. For instance, when H4350 became difficult to find I switched to IMR 4350. I lost a bit of MV but lost nothing in accuracy. I needed some bullets for a school I was going to attend, couldn't get Berger but could get RDF's. Tested them, liked them and have been shooting them ever since. As far as reliability, I used them at a 600 yd F-class match a couple of weeks ago. All 9's, 10's and X's in some tricky winds. The match prior to this one, i was using Bergers and had similar results, except for a couple of 8s due to missing some switches in the wind.

I would encourage others to try them and decide for themselves. One caveat, I have read the RDF's are not sensitive to seating depth but that was not my experience.

CoyoteTan and Dgd6mm like this.
  15. L W P

L W P

I would take the Hornady 140gr HPBT Match over the RDF's any day. I tried extensive testing with the pretty, high BC, long tipped small hollow pointed bullet and they suck for reliability. The Berger Hybrid 140gr works the best for me in my 6.5 Creedmoor and the Norma 130gr molys work second best. But that's just me, will not be buying, trying anymore RDF's.

LGKLAS likes this.
  16. Willow

Willow

Have you looked at Q-Store?

17. dminn1

dminn1

My experience mirrors yours with the RDFs in 6.5 Creedmoor. It made some really nice 3 and 4 shot groups in testing but no good 5 shot. The Berger 130 AR Hybrids and 130 JLK are very consistent performers.

18. suasponte

suasponte Silver $$ Contributor

R eally
    D rastic
    F lyers
    :(
    Terry

19. BoilerBobcat

BoilerBobcat

I shot 140gr RDFs out of my 6.5x47 at Lodi for their 1200 yard match last month during Midwest Palma. On the regular 1000 yard sling target, I had a 140-5x in 15 shots. The wind was calm for my first 4 shots for record...all X's. I was shooting iron sights, and everything that wasn't a 10 or X was either where I called it, or corresponded to the wind changes I missed... And bad wind calls at 1200 are significant. These were "blems" from the shootersproshop....

Once I learned to jump these suckers 0.040" or more, they started to perform. Guess I'm just lucky...

20. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

I always seem to like them everytime i want them to shoot. Sometimes i get flyers an inch away against the wind. No modern sorting methods have figured it out yet.

LGKLAS likes this.