Raton range closed?

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by Elwood, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Elwood

Elwood

I have just heard that the range is closed until next Monday when the nationals start, is there any particular reason for this?

I find it odd that teams and individuals from all over the world are turning up and they can't practice? I'm sure there's a very logical explanation and I'm curious to know what it is.

2. Immike

Immike Gold $$ Contributor

There is a practice day scheduled for sunday the 18th, 8:30 am.

3. Elwood

Elwood

Thanks for the swift reply Mike.

Looks like it will be pretty busy on the 18th with 300-400 competitors wanting to fire a few shots. It doesn't leave much time for any last minute load tuning!

I'm still interested as to why it's closed until then though?

4. Immike

The practice day is a squaded practice with a couple organized relays. There is a sight in range for checking zeros and such but is only 100-200yrds.

5. Turbulent Turtle

Turbulent Turtle F-TR competitor

I would not be surprised that they closed the range so as to do maintenance and such. We do similar stuff prior to TSRA. Since it's Nationals and Worlds this time around, you want to have the opportunity to present your best face.

Very professional on their part.

6. EagerNoSkill

EagerNoSkill

Professional ? :eek:
    How about disclosing that "small detail" to all competitors so that they dont travel needlessly aweek ahead to closed range.

Yes lets just Ignore the wasted expenses - lost income - and aggravation

I have no problem if they want to prep but communicate it!

7. Turbulent Turtle

Turbulent Turtle F-TR competitor

What is the matter? You don't like surprises?

Also, there are several other ranges at the Whittington Center.

8. 280man

280man Silver $$ Contributor

Guys

These type of threads make me angry. I don't know if you guys are aware but there is a bunch of guys traveling to Raton as we speak and will spend all week working their butts off so we can have a match. These are retired guys many of whom do not shoot Fclass. The last thing we need is a bunch of people on here whining about them closing the range so they can get it ready for us. Why don't you consider thanking them for all there hard work.

9. DBailey

DBailey

Amen!

10. RCurtis

RCurtis

With a Capitol +1

11. geordiesniper

geordiesniper

If you ask the many guys who will be travelling half way around the world (who would reasonably expect the range to be fully open to obtain an accurate load and zero), and then find out it is closed without any prior notification. Then in my view that is not professional and they have every right to be p*ssed off.
    The reason for the closure is understood and noted, but if no one from outside the USA was notified then I stand by my statement.

12. ARIZONA_F_CLASS

ARIZONA_F_CLASS FTR LR High Master, FTR MR Master, Smalbore Master

Common sense would mean you would know they have to get the range ready for such a big event. They stated that there is a practice day set up for the 18th prior to the Nationals. That is all they owe you in advance. If you haven't gotten a zero or a load by now, your to late!

I want to thank Larry Bartholome and all the guys from the Bald Eagle Rifle Club for hosting this event. It's going to be GREAT!!!!

13. mysticplayer

mysticplayer

Having shot at Raton last USFN, I can say the volunteers and organisers do a superb job and truly work their A$$es off to make OUR match the best it can be.

A HUGE THANK YOU TO ALL......

I am one of those traveling a good long ways to come play. Testing done as best I can, ammo and gear loaded up and heading south. Should be sighted in on Sunday and the match begins.

If the tuning is not perfect, that's the way it goes. At least at Whittington, you have several ranges to do some sight in, testing and getting trigger finger back instep.

And unlimited sighters on Day 1 relay 1.

Jerry

14. SSDW

SSDW

Thanks to ALL volunteers for their hard work! I only pray I am worthy of their efforts.

15. Petros284

Petros284

+1 on thanking all of the GREAT volunteers who make this possible. Without them the match would not be possible!

I understand there may be some frustration, but there should be enough time for all of us on Sunday to get our Zeroes, plus the unlimited sighters on Relay one on Monday.

See you all there and have a safe trip!

Pete Petros

16. Cochran

Cochran

There was massive flooding in Raton recently. The range could be a mess.

17. Elwood

Elwood

So at the moment this is all conjecture and know one can categorically state why the range is closed?

I did wonder about the floods, but it would appear that this is not the reason.

18. Immike

Sir, we are just shooters and have to travel also to get in the same boat. Perhaps if you sent a email to Larry Bartholome he could explain.

19. Elwood

Elwood

Mike, that sounds like a plan.

20. Elwood

Elwood

Well it would appear that the range is now open until Wednesday evening, good show :)