Range finders....who needs them?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by 270guy, Feb 9, 2019.

1. 270guy

270guy

Well I do:rolleyes:. Why? Thats simple, unless what I'm trying to hit, is not within about 150 metres, I'm poop at estimating range. I'm talking about small targets, rabbit sized, as an example. It has always been a bit of a luxury to buy one, so I've aways found other places to spend my extra cash, when I've had any. This has meant I have always just got by, and connecting on anything nearing and past 150m, has either been lucky or a result of using a GPS to measure distances, where I expect to see small game or place targets for testing.
    Now I know I'm not telling you guys that have range finders already, anything new. If you were like me, and are thinking about it I'd recommend taking the plunge. I just bought a 2nd hand Leica 1600, its been used, but it is a great thing. And easy to get consistent readings.
    And that is what I did last evening and this morning. I used it to range a few bunnies, and to have no doubt about how far away they were. Hits at 275 m (300 yards), 225 m (246 y), 168 m (183 y), 100 m (109 y), there were a couple of others that I don't remember. But you get the idea. I even used it to range a rabbit at 69 m (75 y), while using my old suppressed Sako .22lr, resulting in a satisfying headshot. If you read my account of shooting gongs, this time it was me jumping around after making these shots! Now the rangefinder doesn't make practice and good shooting techniques, good ammo, etc. less important, but it definitely enhances them. Thanks for reading.
    cheers

msinc, hogpatrol, okie and 2 others like this.
  2. 69mach

69mach Silver $$ Contributor

I’ve had a Leica 1600b since they came out. They are a great rangefinder. The last couple years have seen a lot of good rangefinders hit the market. I’m a big fan of long range deer hunting and without a good rangefinder It would be a heck of a lot harder.

Rushty likes this.
  3. bluealtered

bluealtered Silver $$ Contributor

Range finders, yes. Old eyes without range finders, no. (unless i'm just trying scare the game).

270guy and Mark W like this.
  4. K22

K22

I hunted varmints and predators and for years without a range finder. About 10 years ago I bought one and I now use it constantly; it's great tool that has increased my success rate beyond 200 yards.

What I learned is that I'm a terrible estimator of distances. Now I wouldn't think of going varmint or predator hunting without my range finder.

IdahoSharpshooter, dmoran and 270guy like this.
  5. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

I finally bought range finding bino's.. Love em.. That 500 yard shot is now 300

IdahoSharpshooter, 270guy and Mark W like this.
  6. powderbrake

powderbrake Gold $$ Contributor

What he said.

IdahoSharpshooter likes this.
  7. dsculley

dsculley

Finally bought a Sig 2200 a while back. Made taking deer at 275 yds and 500 yds possible a couple of weeks ago. Would not want to have to hunt without one anymore.

8. swd

swd Silver $$ Contributor

I always try and estimate ranges and I’m constantly amazed at how poor I am at it past 100 or so yards. Especially when the terrain changes a bit. With decent range finders available that go to a mile or so in the $400 or so range I don’t know how anyone that shoots can live without one!

Mark W likes this.
  9. micmac

micmac

Those among us who practice Tactical/Practical comps do lots of work with analog rangefinders and scope reticle in FFP

With some practice ,you can be quite fast and accurate , have manualy ranged and shot/hit past 1200y human sized targets
    https://roundmildot.com/
    [​IMG]

AJC and 300_whisper like this.
  10. Collyer

Collyer Silver $$ Contributor

I picked up a sig 2200 LHR and in the bright sun I had hard time seeing the numbers. Yes I adjusted the lighting on it but not what I was wanting so I took it back to Cabela's. Which they have a 90 day return policy on the rangefinders if your not happy bring them back. So now I pick up a Nikon Black 4k and it works great. I was ranging prairie dogs with it. It was awesome shooting for sure.

11. M14AMU

M14AMU

Country boys are pretty good at range estimation!

12. Collyer

Collyer Silver $$ Contributor

Yes county boys are but it seems the older I get the worse I get. lol

270guy likes this.
  13. 270guy

270guy

A while ago, I borrowed a new Leica 1000, to go up in the NZ Alps, to hunt Tahr. I was sitting in the tussock with my mate, glassing when we spotted some animals. He said, "How far are they, 550m?", I ranged them, "987m", I replied. He just smiled, and we started climbing.

14. Albany Mountain

Albany Mountain Silver $$ Contributor

Where do you put the batteries??

Bc'z, micmac and 270guy like this.
  15. mike a

mike a 6BR Rocks Gold $$ Contributor

I had a bullet drop reticle for years. It wasn't until I got a rangefinder that it really worked. With the Leupold varmint reticle its range, hold, shoot. That quick. Also the Leupold rangefinder gives me my moa drop so, range, dial, shoot. Still pretty quick and way accurate.

16. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

Delfuego, 270guy and mike a like this.
  17. spaniel

spaniel

I am a dedicated long range shooter. I learned long ago that beyond 150 yards the ability to judge range by eye is extraordinarily bad. Living in a place where real rifles were illegal for deer hunting until 3 years ago, that was a real limitation. I was not satisfied with the accuracy of ranging with a scope reticle, especially given the limited time often available on game. Consequently I routinely range game by laser in all situations beyond point blank.

18. 270guy

270guy

19. Spaz

Spaz

I don't hunt very often. I don't compete. I am new to long range shooting in general. I am mostly just interested in refining my skills for entertainment for myself and as something my son and I can do together.

That said, I bought a range finder a few days ago. After doing some math, I realized that if I misjudged a target size by 1/2 inch assuming its at 1,000 yards, with my system, I will be off by 22 inches on shot placement. When you are shooting a target that is as big as 18 inches, that's still a huge miss.

Even for a causal shooter like me, a range finder is money well spent. Guys who hunt and/or compete; I can't see going without one.

20. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor