R700 Action: What is this hole for?

Discussion in 'Advanced Gunsmithing & Engineering' started by GenePoole, Jun 14, 2017.

1. GenePoole

GenePoole

I've got a Remington 700 ADL Long Action that was rescued from a mobile home that literally collapsed under the weight of all the guns the (deceased) owner had piled everywhere.

I stripped it down to clean it and see if it was salvageable and noticed a small threaded hole near the front trigger guard screw hole and at a slight angle (probably perpendicular to the tangent to the action diameter).

I don't know if they all have this and I just never noticed (I don't currently have an action around to look at without yanking it out of a stock), or if this is something special. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. Eddie Harren

Eddie Harren Gold $$ Contributor

It is for a small screw that holds the magazine box to the action on the ADL models.

3. Prose

Prose

4. GenePoole

GenePoole

Thanks. I realize now that I have seen it before.

5. GenePoole

GenePoole

Any idea what the size and pitch is for this screw?

6. SDWhirlwind

SDWhirlwind

Screw size and pitch is 4-40TPI. Length of threaded portion of screw is .200".

7. JohnHenry

JohnHenry

8. GenePoole

GenePoole

Thanks guys. That was the last datum I needed for my "rough draft" CAD drawing. All the features are there but may be off a bit. I used a caliper and an incomplete set of radius gauges. I sure wish I could find some authoritative information on the actual dimensions.

[​IMG]