Questions Bald Eagle BE1153 - Triangle Windage Rest - Cast Iron

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by andrews1958, Jun 15, 2018.

1. andrews1958

andrews1958

I am a Newbie on front bench rests so any help with my questions would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking at ordering a new Bald Eagle BE1153 - Triangle Windage Rest - Cast Iron but have a few questions again that I hope others can help me with

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Triangle-Windage-Rest-Cast-Iron/BE1153

I do not have a bench rest rifle so I would not use the larger 3" bags used for these rifles but the smaller type bag made for regular hunting rifles

http://protektormodel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=292

My questions

Can I use the smaller Protektor bags like the #1 in the rest? Will the top tighten enough to hold the smaller bag securely? Grizzlys who sell them did not seem sure?

For a rifle rest what bag would you recommend from Protector #1 style bag?

One that would hold the rifle snug in the rest

This rest is quite a bit cheaper than the Sinclair and other high end rests. What is your opinion of this Bald Eagle?

Is it any good or cheaply built?

Thanks for reading my post

2. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow

Question one is answered with: Yes, it will fit as the side ears on that top are adjustable. Question two asks for opinions on the Bald Eagle rest and opinions are opinions and personal preference.

3. South Prairie jim

South Prairie jim

They are built well
    The protector bags will sorta fit you won't be able to use all the bolts also you will need to spread the top stops out and one bolt only on one side.
    Better option is check protector adjustable rest
    J

4. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

I have 2 of the Bald Eagles. I think they are the best of the triangle bases.

bouddha likes this.
  5. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

It is a well built rest and heavy. Doesn't move under recoil. I use the 3" bag so no help there. But, I would bet the smaller bag would work. I just might order one of those small bags for my hunting rifles. I only use the BE for sighting in and it is way more than effective. It will outlast me! Also, the rest sides are adjustable...But how much for your needs??

6. dickn52

dickn52 Silver $$ Contributor

Have the aluminum model and once we got rid of the terrible windage backlash thing it became the go to rest for me and several others. It works well enough for club shoots.
    But that goofy windage thing was all kinds of nasty.

7. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

I've read about some "fixes" for that problem but, it's never bothered me as I don't use it.

bouddha likes this.
  8. kzin

kzin

lol, I know what you mean but I use my remote windage all the time. I like it the 90% of the time it works fine and always find some way to overpower or out-stubborn it when it decides to start being a dick.

9. jpx2rk

jpx2rk

Call Protektor bag company, and they will make a custom front rest bag for you for about the same $$ as the BE bags. Just tell 'em you have some questions, and they will help you get a bag that will work for you. I have 3 BE aluminum rests, all have Protektor bags.

10. 6.5creed

6.5creed Gold $$ Contributor

I got rid of the windage cable swapped some pieces around and made the knob direct drive from the left.

Interested in what others did to make the windage better.

bouddha likes this.
  11. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Silver $$ Contributor

Take away the windage device and you really have only slightly more than a front sand bag. I fell for the [relatively] low cost and bought one. Compared to higher end front rests, the whole thing is little more than a toy IMO. Don't try to "fix" it...save your money for a real precision front rest. Otherwise, there are far less expensive options that will do pretty much everything the Bald Eagle will do.

McGraw likes this.
  12. butchlambert

I believe you can remove the cable operated windage and add a knob very easily for it to remain a windage top.

bouddha likes this.
  13. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Silver $$ Contributor

You can, but what's the point? Without a cable or joystick, it's extremely difficult to use it without disrupting your position behind the rifle, at least it is for me. At that point, much less expensive alternatives become equally viable.

14. butchlambert

Ned, what discipline to you shoot that makes your arm to short to turn a windage screw? FClass I guess.I do use a joystick rest.

dickn52 likes this.
  15. jpx2rk

jpx2rk

You can do the cable delete on these models, I've done it two times. Rimfire central has some good instructions on how to do the mods.

16. 6.5creed

Exactly what I did. My arms are pretty short but I can still reach it comfortably.

nmkid and bouddha like this.
  17. dickn52

dickn52 Silver $$ Contributor

Yeah, but as I recall we had to reverse the top furniture since I am right handed and use my left for windage. As it is it comes in from the right side.

bouddha likes this.
  18. 6.5creed

Exactly, swapped around some pieces and moved the knob to the left side.