Question on the 2019 F-Class Nationals Match program

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by Nowhere Man, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man

The match program states:

"Anyone who fires a shot during the preparation period will be scored a miss for the first record shot of that match, they will also receive no further sighting or practice shots. Anyone who fires a shot prior to the preparation period or any other non-firing period will be disqualified from the competition."

Why wouldn't the action of firing a shot during the prep period result in an immediate DQ? You're not suppose to even have a round in the rifle.

2. RDA72927

RDA72927

The pit's are sealed. Then you can bring your gun to the line and at some point the 3 minute prep start. This is the only time a AD doesn't get you sent off the range. Technically, everyone one is safe and ONLY your pride and no one EVER letting you forget your screw up. An AD any other time will get your DQed.

Rope2horns likes this.
  3. Immike

Immike Gold $$ Contributor

Loading “one round” is in the the NRA range commands for starting the clock, but most seasoned fclass guy’s won’t do it because of this.

4. Lbart

Lbart Gold $$ Contributor

Larry's rule # 1: "Never fire the 1st shot in a match." Always wait for someone else to screw up! You have plenty of time.

5. Keith Glasscock

Keith Glasscock True believer - Straight 284 Gold $$ Contributor

That is a rule book issue. The program spells out rule 14.5

6. milanuk

milanuk Team Savage Gold $$ Contributor

^ this.

I used to be one for dry-firing during prep.

Until I took a good look at the DCRA & ICFRA rules for the consequences of firing during prep time. Under those rules, it flat out *is* a DQ for the match.

Something the US NRA rules might benefit from adopting...

7. skiutah02

skiutah02 Gold $$ Contributor

Of a lot of good advice I received when starting fclass, this nugget was some of the best advice. Drew

8. Medic505

Medic505 Dean Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

This one and Larry's rule #2. Always have enough ammo.

Colnagotex likes this.
  9. Lbart

Lbart Gold $$ Contributor

Dean,
    Rule #2 should read "Always have way more than enough ammo."
    &
    Rule # 3: F-Class rifles with mirage shield and rain cover attached must weigh 1/2 pound under the limit on your scale or the one you used last.

10. montef

montef Silver $$ Contributor

Only problem with rule #1 is everyone is waiting for some one else to start, I have seen over a minute go by before the first round goes downrange. I keep my ammo box closed and my chamber flag in until the preparation period ends. I don't want to be "that guy" everyone is looking at in Phoenix as happened this year to someone down the line.
    On rule #2, at our last club match I had an early pull on my target. Needed another round that I had to use with a different weight bullet as my first sighter on the next relay. Basically just to make sure I had my windage correct. Usually I have several extra, but used more foulers and sighters on the first relay to get settled in. You would defiantly want more if you find yourself with 20 X's on your target and going for a record.
    Rule #3, do not believe your bathroom scale. It lies all the time.:rolleyes:

11. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man

So, if I understand this correctly, if a shot is fired during the 3 minute prep period, you're ok. After the prep period is complete and before the instruction to commence firing, any shots going off get you DQ'd, right?

Dave

BW likes this.
  12. Shiraz

Shiraz Site $$ Sponsor

And wait a couple of seconds to pass for the "CEASE FIRE, CEASE FIRE!!!" command :)

Alexander-M, rardoin and RDA72927 like this.
  13. RDA72927

RDA72927

Oh!!! That's one of the funniest things this week... Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Ringostar

Ringostar

Prep period goes right into course of fire. I believe the DQ is more if you fire prior to prep. Either way, the targets are down if it’s not prep or course of fire. You wouldn’t even have a target to be shooting at otherwise. Unless your shooting on e targets when they stay up all the time.

Immike likes this.
  15. Immike

Immike Gold $$ Contributor

Probably not a good thing. Was hoping the rule readers would answer the OP’s questions. I am not aware of any DQ unless deemed unsafe.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018