Question for you 22LR competion shooters

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by NDAR15MAN, Aug 20, 2018.

1. NDAR15MAN

NDAR15MAN

Questions for 22LR RIFLE competion shooters.
    I guess all 22LR competion matches cover ranges from 25 yards to 300 to really way out there at local weekend specialty matches ? I was just wondering when I retire in a couple years if I wanted to get into 22LR rifle competion matches what power of scope would do a good job for all yardages and types of matches ?
    I guess the key would be a Scope would need to focus down to a minimum 25 yards and go out to infinity ? Power would be like any other competion , what ever Power you would need ( personal choice ) ?
    I take it bolt action and a nice 10/22 auto would work for rifles ?.
    Another quick question if you choose to shoot a Ruger 10/22 auto do these guns require shooter to load 1 round at a time for safety on the benches ? Just wondering how competition shooters do this with a Ruger 10/22. A lot of questions from a newbie.
    Thanks Marty

2. 1911mag

1911mag Silver $$ Contributor

Marty,

I have seen matches in Midwest from 25 to 100 yds and probably some out to 200 on fun shoots.
    That is a area to cover for 1 scope to choose from. I would suggest use a Weaver 36X, Leupold in 30 thru 45 power competition models.
    And yes I would have a bolt and a 10/22 to choose from. If shooting from benches you will probably want few styles of rests to choose from bi pores to bags to 2 pc style or even a 1 pc rest.
    I do not think there is a wrong answer, comes down to what matches you find to shoot near you and what equipment you think will cover that range of shooting.
    Best part is have fun and enjoy retirement.

perry42 likes this.
  3. jpx2rk

jpx2rk

Are you considering ARA or ABRA matches? Find some local/near by matches and attend them for info gathering. I compete in local ARA matches, use a Anschutz MPR rifle (factory) with T36 weaver. Had a Sightron 36x on it but switched to the Weaver due to preference of sight preference.

4. kzin

kzin

Weaver T36 does an excellent job from 25 out. I think it works down to 10 but I don't remember trying.

The rest of that is really unanswerable in the general. You need to look into each specific shoot.

5. NDAR15MAN

NDAR15MAN

thanks for your help guys. i have a T36 weaver on another gun and like them. sounds like that is the scope for all 22LR MATCH applications. marty

6. Topstrap

Topstrap

I run 20x SWFA mostly moa-quad with a few 20x mil-quad models on all my longrange 22 rimfire guns including the pistols. Over 120 moa of verticle travel, perfect repeatable turrets and decent glass. I made 50 moa mounts for most of mine since we dabble shooting out too 500 yards and beyond occasionally.

Most of the local matches including mine shoot out to 200 yards but we have some mighty small targets to make up for lack of longer distances. I limit ammo costs to try and keep everyone close to equal standards but the equipment race is always a factor in any competition and does make a difference. I don't allow any benchrest type of equipment such as tuners or those fancy rests.

PRS style matches seem to be the fad right now but it's not designed for us older folks. Looks fun but you better be able to shoot from varying positions with time limits. Shooting paper is really challenging but bores me to death. I like to hear steel ring, see it swing with a hit, having to wait a bit for the "ding" to get back to you and also deciphering the info Mother Nature gives to getting a hit on a small distant target.

Long-range rimfire is easily as challenging as 1000 yard center-fire competition but also frustrating due to ammo inconsistency. With steel target racks you're only limited by your imigination on shapes, sizes and where you place each rack for each match. I shift mine around a lot and also vary how they are shot including sometimes starting with the smallest one first.

You'd have to spend quite a bit of money to get a semi-auto to shoot with even a decent shooting bolt gun. I personally like the older target rimfires and shy away from the latest fad guns and enjoy being competitive with my old guns. Sporter weight guns can shoot but are less forgiving to subtle variations in shooter or ammo input. A varmit or heavy barreled gun will sit better when fired. I like longer barrels for the same reason although I do shoot a couple 10 inch pistols against the rifles and they do pretty well.
    Topstrap

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    MarkS and Mikey_P like this.
  7. NDAR15MAN

NDAR15MAN

TOPSTRAP... I think i have seen your 500 yard shots on youtbe. Very very impressive ! i really like shooting long range and do a lot of prairie dog shooting. when i get my old 10/22 modified to a real good shooter i would like to hire you to set up the scope for me. i was wondering on your 22LR SHOOTING , 300 YARDS AND OVER does your scope mounts allow you to still zero your scope back down to 50 yards for basic target shooting ? just wonder with the scopes you are running what is the range of zeros you can get to with turret movement only ? not with changing out bases etc. thanks again for sharing good info. marty.

8. j2hoskins

j2hoskins

I think you may be underestimating the variance in 22 matches. What type of shooting do you prefer? Bench for precision, or more tactical or varied targets like silhouettes. One gun will not do it all, or at least it won't do it all well. If you really want to compete (and by compete I mean be truly competitive), you will need to specialize your equipment to the specific type of competition.

A 10/22 is not going to be competitive in true BR for example. And a BR gun is not going to be good for PRS or Silhouettes.

Where are you located? We may be able to point you to a local match depending on what type of shooting you really prefer.

270WinDude likes this.
  9. NDAR15MAN

NDAR15MAN

in davenport iowa we do have some matches here so i will visit a few before making decision.
    thanks again. i really like your you tube stuff. marty

rr2030 likes this.
  10. j2hoskins

j2hoskins

Ron Elbe runs an ARA match at Oak Hill Gun Club right by you. You won't find a nicer guy to speak to and learn about ARA. Looks like their next match is at the end of September.

11. NDAR15MAN

NDAR15MAN

Yep that is were I shoot I missed 22LR match last Saturday but went to the big gun bench rest match as a spectator. I talked to him I think earlier today on this sight. Going to go that one in late sept and watch. Marty

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    j2hoskins likes this.
  12. 222 rem

222 rem

U

13. Topstrap

Topstrap

I have 50 moa mounts on most guns including the bolt action pistol. With the SWFA 20x fixed power scopes it's nearly bottomed out but I can' still dial down to 25 yards and out to 500 yards for a center hold.ho couple of the guns are just shy of 500 due being slower guns but it's really close. The SWFA scopes also parallax down under 25 yards easily.

My 40x only has a 25moa purchased mount but I nearly made it to 500 with a center hold but it's my fastest gun with Wolf MT. Maybe this winter I'll make a 50 moa base in case I want to try some of the ELR rimfire shoots.

They are perfect for the type of shooting we do but there may be better selections for other types of competitions or range work you enjoy. Go visit the various types of rimfire competitions and see what is available around you. Not fun if you get a setup for something that isnti done much around you.

Topstrap

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  14. NDAR15MAN

NDAR15MAN

Wow you make your own 50moa mounts. I might have to pay you make me one. Would these be a picanney mount that would fit a Ruger 10/22 rifle ? It would be a lot of fun to shoot 500 yards with a 22LR. My gun for some reason shoots the CCI 22LR 1680 FPS And now the 1820 FPS ammo really good. I was surprised.
    I could put a SWA 20x scope on it and maybe get to 500 yards. I would have to look at the ballistics of that ammo You need to get to 500 yards on this set up and hold a 25 or 50 yard zero still ? You think I could ? What would a mount like the ones you make cost ? Marty

15. Topstrap

Topstrap

It takes me forever to whittle out the mounts I make for my guns. I'm not a machinist but keep removing metal till I get what I want. I think you can get the same result with a 20 or 25 moa mount and those adjustable ring inserts. I'd like to be able to make mounts for others but it takes me days of trial and error fitting and my Son helping with the calculations. When I'm done how I got it done is half forgotten.

I have a couple of buddies with CNC equipment, illI see if either are interested in making a 40 or 50 moa mount for a 10/22.

Topstrap

16. NDAR15MAN

NDAR15MAN

Yep you should do that. I am sure people like me would buy one if not to expensive. You would sale a lot for Ruger 10/22. There is millions of them
    Guns and people are wanting to shoot long range. You guys could make a little money I am sure. I bet you could sale them in 10 different shootingvcomputer sights. Once you make 1 and keep the prints your good for thousands. What we’ll help sale them
    Is tell people what they need for total moa to reach 500 yards in your advertising with the CCI. 1680 and 1820 FPS loaf. Maybe even a 40 gr bullets to buck the wind. People will then jump on them because they now it can be done mathamatically. Marty

17. CKshooter

CKshooter Silver $$ Contributor

Not sure on how far you want to travel but i live in northeast iowa and we're setting up a .22lr group. We had our first shoot about a month ago and plan on having one a month next year starting in April. Check out northeast iowa .22lr marksman. Hope to see you sometime.

18. NDAR15MAN

NDAR15MAN

Yep I will do that. I will look your sight up. Marty

CKshooter likes this.
  19. jps2486

jps2486

Sightron SIII 10-50X60 with your choice of reticles. I like the fine cross hair, but the target dot might be better for you. The glass is perfectly clear on these and you can choose whatever magnification you want. Get Burris Signature rings with the plastic inserts that allow you to set your own scope tilt. You won't need any special MOA mounts. I happen to set it at 40X on my Anschutz 1710 GRS for 50-100 yard benchrest. You won't need a spotting scope.

20. NDAR15MAN

NDAR15MAN

yep. I am fortunate i have been able to buy ( 4 ) of the SIGHTRON III 10-50X60 SCOPES THE LAST 6 MONTHS OFF OF THIS SIGHT AT A VERY VERY GOOD PRICE. I SNAGGED A COUPLE UNDER $600.00.
    I HAVE A MOA-2 ILLUMINATED RETICLE ON A SHAW AR10 6.5 CREEDMOOR. GUN IS A HELL OF A SHOOTER AT A GREAT PRICE. 24 INCH BARREL I ORDERED WITH MUZZLE BREAK. $1040.00 TOO MY FFL DEALER HERE IN MUSCATINE. THESE ARE $700.00 CHEAPER THEN ANY OTHER AR CREEDMOOR ON MARKET AND THEY MADE MINE FOR ME IN 24 INCH BARREL. I HAVE S/N 068. SHOOTS FEDERAL 140 GR OTM AT 7/8 INCH GROUPS. I DONT RELOAD YET BUT THINKING ABOUT IT. AT 59 YEARS OLD MAYBE TO OLD TO START. I HAVE THE BURRIS SIGNATURE RINGS ON THIS GUN WITH 20 MOA INSERTS. CANNOT PUT BIGGER INSERTS ON BECAUSE I CAN STILL HOLD A 00 ZERO. WISH I COULD PUT 30 MOA INSERTS IN THE RINGS

2ND SIGHTRON IS A MOA-2 RETICLE I HAVE ON A RUGER M77 HAWKEYE PREDATOR 6.5 CREEDMOOR 28 INCH BARREL. I HAVE 20 MOA BASE AND HAVE BURISS Z RING SET AT 0 INSERTS. MY PROBLEM ON THIS SET UP IS THAT I AM ALL MOST MAXED OUT ON MY WINDAGE TURRET. I HATE THIS BUT THAT IS WAY IT TURNED OUT. EVEN WHEN I SPIN THE 0 INSERTS IN THE Z RINGS IT DONT HELP SO I HAVE TO ALWAYS REMEMBER NOT TO TOUCH THE WINDAGE TURRET. I WILL JUST USE THE MOA MARKING ON THE RETICLE IF I HAVE TO PLAY THE WIND I GUESS.

3.... 3RD SIGHTRON 10-50X60 I HAD SIGHTRON CHANGE RETICLE ( I PAID $500.00 FOR THIS SCOPE ) FROM A DOT ON THE CROSSHAIRS TO WIDE DUPLEX . I HAVE THIS SCOPE ON A TRICKED OUT AXIS 223 CAL. I HAD BARREL CUT TO 16 1/2 INCH AND BOYD THUMB HOLE PEPPER LAMINATED STOCKS AND TRIGGER WORKED TOO 3 POUNDS. SHOOTS 1 INCH GROUPS IF I DO MY PART WITH MIDWAY USA DOGTOWN AMMO. YOU CAN BUY THIS AMMO FOR 44 CENTS AROUND AND FREE SHIPPING. A GREAT SHELL.

4.... SO KNOW I HAVE A MINT SIGHTRON 10-50X60 DOT SCOPE LEFT. NOT MOUNTED ON A GUN. THINKING ABOUT PUTTING THIS ON A ACCURATE 22LR FOR TARGET SHOOTING. I HAVE A DETACHED RETINA 1 1/2 YEARS AGO IN SHOOTING EYE AND IT DID NOT TURN OUT GREAT. I CAN SEE OUT OF IT BUT I HAVE SCAR ON MY LENS AND SOME TIMES CROSS HAIRS AND DOT GET WAVY WHEN I LOOK THROUGH SCOPE. SO FAR IT SEEMS THE WIDE DUPLE RETICLE IS THE BEST RETICLE FOE ME AND THEN THE MOA RETICLE AND LAST THE DOT RETICLE ON CROSS HAIRS. I GOING TO THINK LONG AND HARD BEFORE I CHANGE THIS LAST SCOPE RETICLE. LIKE YOU SAID THE DOT RETICLE IS NICE BUT CAN BE HARD TO PICK UP BECAUSE OF MY EYE ISSUES. MARTY