Question For The Smiths Who Post Here

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by antelopedundee, Feb 16, 2020.

1. antelopedundee

antelopedundee

In your opinion are the actions used in the "WalMart" Remington 700 ADL rifles of the same quality as the stand alone actions that you can buy from Bud's Gun Shop, Cheaper Than Dirt, etc. and so on and so forth?

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

The finish is rougher on the adl so they are not even close in the smoothness category. They blast them with sb2 gravel i believe. The buds component actions are very smooth but youre shorted a recoil lug and a barrel/stock you could possibly pawn off on somebody to offset some cost. Dimensionally they are the same- perfectly acceptable for anything a remington action will be used for

shortgrass, 338 dude and std7mag like this.
  3. antelopedundee

antelopedundee

A WalMart store in Michigan sells them with a cheap scope for $300. Doesn't seem like a highly profitable venture to me.

4. daleboy

daleboy Gold $$ Contributor

I am sure Walmart is not going bankrupt selling them that cheap.

338 dude likes this.
  5. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

I have gotten SS 700 Sigle Shots from Cheaper than Dirt . My Smith found little Wrong with them . ( still blue printed and trigger up-grade).

I order a Same Action from PTG all Blue Printed with one peace Fluted Bolt and .250 recoil Lug and was money ahead .
    My Smith was impressed ?

The Rifles are both Tack Drivers ?
    Shop Wise it pays in the long run.
    It's Not the Arrow it's the Indian

dave@aDave likes this.
  6. PatMiles

PatMiles Gold $$ Contributor

NOW ya tell me!:p

Don likes this.
  7. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

I have posted here for a long time that the fit and finish on the stand alone actions I order from Buds is much better than the donor action from a Sale Remington 700. I've enjoyed tuning and building Remington's for years while most smiths have moved on to custom actions. Yesterday I was one of 3 to shoot clean in our local match but was beaten on X count ( I got 34X, beaten by 35X and 36X). My one buddy keeps saying "There's no prize for the highest score with a Remington 700".

So I'm going over to the dark side. Headed to the shop as soon as this cup of coffee is done to chamber my new Borden.

That said, I ream the boltway and put a PTG bolt and side bolt release in my Remington 700s. With the PTG bolt I can adjust cock on close and the action rivals a custom.

I highly recommend ordering the stand alone R700 action at Buds. You can order it without a bolt if you want.

--Jerry

8. antelopedundee

antelopedundee

Course not, but they probly aint gettin rich either.

9. snert

snert Silver $$ Contributor

Which free's up a nice action to sell to me! ;) BTW, the K-Hornet you fixed up for me is shooting under 3/4 with dogtowns, very happy!

10. riflewoman

riflewoman Gold $$ Contributor

Way back when(‘79, but who’s counting) the employees at Remington complained that they could buy a Nylon 66 or 870s at KMart cheaper than they could at the employee price (distributor price). The company showed them the invoices for all the sales to KMart. KMart was selling at a loss.

back then the 700 ADL and BDL and evening the “C Grade “ barreled actions all were finished in the same way. The only difference was the stock and bottom metal.

11. antelopedundee

antelopedundee

The $300 price I mentioned was supposedly given by a person from Michigan on another message board and I think is the WM price for the store in his area; and not necessarly the WM nationwide price. An old co-worker was an engineer with the Daisy BB gun business and he would tell stories about how WM would dictate terms and other manufacturing criteria they had to meet in order to keep WM as a customer. I was wondering if they maybe tried to strongarm Remington the same way and it showed in the quality of the product.

12. mike a

mike a 6BR Rocks Gold $$ Contributor

I saw those targets "on the wrong thread though, lol" looked like alot of guys with custom actions couldn't do that. 45 tens in a row. Good shootin! Mike

13. Evan

Evan Gold $$ Contributor

BEWARE!!!! My Rimrock ruined my Remington 700s for me. They will never be good enough anymore. It doesn't shoot any better than my done up Remingtons, but boy does it feel better to use; it is soo smooth.

14. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

All you have to do is look at a current adl compared to a pre walmart adl and see that. Check on the 870 express compared to a wingmaster too

daleboy likes this.
  15. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

I don't plan on coming back. I've chambered just about every type of custom action out there and I know what they feel like. Got a good promotion at work and decided to make the switch. Finally pretty much worked myself out of my divorce debt too.

That said, for those looking to be cost effective, the tuned rem is a strong contender.

--Jerry

daleboy, Mark W and Don like this.
  16. chop house

chop house Silver $$ Contributor

i very good and relatable analogy