Question for Antelope hunters

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by KMart, Jul 9, 2019.

1. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

How large is the kill zone on an antelope?

2. Bill K

Bill K Silver $$ Contributor

About the size of a volley ball in the heart/lung area on a Pronghorn.

jepp2 likes this.
  3. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

That I believe is 8", I was thinking 12"-14". Course I'm no antelope hunter. No draw again this year.

4. KMart

Thanks guys. I was thinking about 8" but needed confirmation. A friend (honest, not me) is going on a guided antelope hunt and he was told that he would be shooting off shooting sticks. I need to get him to the range and let him shoot off sticks so he will know what he is in for. I've never done it, so I don't know what to tell him.

5. Drop Port

Drop Port

Has he hunted anything else?

6. swd

swd Silver $$ Contributor

You still have to put it in the right place but they're easy to kill. Get them gutted and skinned and cooled down asap and they're GREAT eating, especially if your shooting them off alfalfa!

WyleWD likes this.
  7. KMart

Yes. He killed a mule deer at a little over 400 yards in Wyoming last year, but wasn't using shooting sticks.
    He grew up here in Texas and killed quite a few whitetails over he last 30 years.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  8. tclaunch

tclaunch Silver $$ Contributor

I don`t know how high the grass is in the region he will be hunting, but I always used Harris swivel series bi-pods and shot 99% of my antelope over the years laying prone.

Drop Port and 284winner like this.
  9. 284winner

Best option if it is an option.

Drop Port likes this.
  10. 284winner

He'll do fine then. There's no doubt that when shooting an antelope ( or any game ) at extended range, a solid rest is the most important factor for accuracy.

11. KMart

I agree that the bi-pod would have been the better option. He and a friend will be hunting together and the outfitter suggested that both of them get shooting sticks.

12. Mark W

Mark W Gold $$ Contributor

I shot my last one from a seated position using a tall bipod. Grass was just too tall for prone but seated was perfect. Way more stable than standing with shooting sticks.

13. Fast14riot

Fast14riot Silver $$ Contributor

They're thin skinned, as swd said clean them and cool them very quickly if they've been running. My dads speed goat managed to make it only 30 yards before collapsing but season was very early in NV, August, before the rut. The heart is large, about the size of a mango or just a little smaller than a 1# powder can. 8" is a good size to aim for. Use a good ballistic tip that dumps all energy very quickly and you will turn their lungs to jello. I like using 180gr Noslers in 30-06. Probably my favorite game meat, can substitute for venison in any recipe and taste way better!

swd likes this.
  14. Ben Barnett

Ben Barnett

I have taken 80+ animals in Africa. Most shot off sticks and under 200 yards. Some smaller than an antelope; some quite a lot bigger. Your friend will have to 1) buy a set of Bog-pod sticks (about $130) and 2) practice a lot. This is the only sure way to get it done.

Mark W likes this.
  15. KMart

My part of this hunt is to get his rifle shooting as accurately as possible at 200 yards give him some range time to practice. The rifle shoots a little over 1/2 inch at that distance. He has already purchased his sticks. We are going to the range soon. The rest is on him. He paid for the hunt. With a little practice, I think he will do fine. He is use to shooting over the hood of a truck. Been doing it for years. This rifle does not have near the recoil of your big bore dangerous game rifles.

swd and 284winner like this.
  16. WindSurgeon

WindSurgeon

About the same as a small deer. Put the bullet in the chest or neck and they will go down easily.