Quality scope for spring air rifles.

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by chevytruck_83, May 28, 2019.

1. chevytruck_83

chevytruck_83

I’m having trouble with my scopes holding zero on my spring powered air rifle. I’ve used both vortex and redfield scopes that held true on 308 and 223 bolt action rifles. The rifle is an air arms tx200. I’ve been checking the rings and everything seems tight. Not sure if there’s a standard for spring powered air rifles that people use. I don’t mind spending money if I know it’s gonna work.

2. 243Lapua

243Lapua Silver $$ Contributor

Nikon Prostaff EFR 3x9 Air and Rim fire scope is what I use on my Springers. Nikon recently renamed it to Nikon P3. So far no issues on both I use. They got target turrets also.

3. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

Leupold varix3 6.5-20 EFR

dgeesaman likes this.
  4. MihiT

MihiT

Leapers has always been the go-to brand down here, though you may have more cheaper reasonably priced options where you are.

5. dsandfort

dsandfort Silver $$ Contributor

Diana makes a "zero recoil" scope mount that looks interesting. Have not used one but know someone who uses it on a
    Diana 54 springer shooting FT. The mount might eliminate the need to search for a specific scope.

6. Bill Bowers

Bill Bowers Silver $$ Contributor

I have one of these with Target knobs I'd sell if anyone is looking. $500 shipped

Bill Bowers
    Chambersburg, Pa
    bbowers@protube.net

7. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Another option is switch to PCP style. Your rifle is very nice and maybe you want to keep it but the PCPs don't require an airgun scope. I killed 3 crows in my backyard with mine last week.

8. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Purchased a Benjamin NP Trail 1100XL Nitro Piston air rifle last year. .22 caliber with a center point scope. I'm use to multi pump air rifles so getting use to the spring air guns is difficult. No where near as accurate and the reverse recoil is something definitely different. Think I'll probably sell it and stick with the Sheridan 392 multi pump guns. I can keep all my pellets( Benjamin cylindrical) in a quater at around 20 yards. Can't hardly keep a 3" group at that same distance with the 1100 XL piston rifle. Out a 6.5-20 LR scope on it and still no change. They say changing the trigger with the upgrade will help but not sure i want to bother. The Sheridan right out of the box is extremely accurate just not quite as powerful.

9. chevytruck_83

chevytruck_83

I would love a pcp rifle but the compressors are to much money. I don’t have a paintball shop or anyone close to fill a tank. I considered getting an adapter to use a larger nitrogen tank to fill it but kinda gave up when I read about the air arms tx-200.

Mark W likes this.
  10. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Gold $$ Contributor

My vote is the 6.5-20 EFR Leupold or 3-9x33 EFR Leupold. Great parallax range, clear glass, and plenty tough for springer use.

Bushnell Elite series have always been springer tough but with them changing line names you might want to call and ask.

David

11. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Just to be clear, conventional wisdom is that you can't use rifle scopes on a spring air gun. Rifle scopes are braced for rifle recoil. Spring air rifles have reverse recoil. So no matter how tough a scope is for rifle use, it may not hold up for spring air rifle use. If you're recommended in a traditional rifle scope, I hope you have some experience with it on a spring air rifle.

I have switched to PCP rifles, but years ago I bought a relatively high-end Beeman spring air and I put an RWS Diana scope on it designed for air rifles. IIRC, the scope was about $300 in 1990 dollars. It lasted 15 years or so. I put a couple of cheap rifle scopes on that I had laying around, they died quickly.

--Jerry

284winner likes this.
  12. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Gold $$ Contributor

I had an RWS branded scope, a 4-12x40 I think. It eventually needed service and they sent back a Simmons Pro-air.

Anyway like you said it always bears repeating: springers have bidirectional recoil. It kills scopes whose internals are not fastened in both direction, regardless of their durability in heavy firearms applications.

David

284winner likes this.
  13. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Apparently even the scopes made for them don't last. Mine died in the first month I owned it