Putting some shine on old brass

Discussion in 'Big Stuff--7mm, 30 Cal, .338+' started by PappyH&H, Feb 28, 2020.

1. PappyH&H

PappyH&H

Been cleaning up my 300 brass with walnut and cob media, and all is well. Then I got out my OLD 270 brass and I don't think a week in the walnut would help, and all it is, is tarnish from the air. Is there something I can add to the media that would bring them back to shiny(?) life again?

hillbillydruggist likes this.
  2. 1885Winman4590

1885Winman4590

Flitz works great for me.

jnm300ultra and brxbrad like this.
  3. dnellans

dnellans

Citric acid chemically removes the oxidation. Put em in a big pyrex bowl with hot water and add some “lemishine” ( a liberal tablespoon not very important to be accurate). Watch the magic happen, and it will seem like magic. Swirl em around a big with fingers, drain and do it one or two more times. rinse twice with fresh so no residual is left in the cases.

Dry with a towel and then dehydrator or oven on cookie sheet.

Won’t hurt the brass at all it’s just surface oxidation.

4. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Birchwood Casey case cleaner, best used with distilled water.

5. rsmithsr50

rsmithsr50

skip the walnut and stick with fine ground corn cob,
    nufinish car POLISH is my favorite add.

6. PappyH&H

PappyH&H

I see they make 3 different ones, I assume you are using the: Rinse Aid with Citric Acid?

7. dnellans

dnellans

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CMTVH38/?tag=accuratescom-20

This is what I use, it’s commonly recommended by guys who wet tumble with stainless steel. There are others too, just look on the back to see that it’s citric acid.

I went from wet tumbling, to walnut vibrating with a polish, to just doing a quick rinse with citric acid. I only vibrate now for about 15 minutes to get lube off after sizing.

One bottle has lasted me almost 3 years, so it costs basically nothing. Give it a try and see if it works.

8. 338 dude

338 dude Gold $$ Contributor

There are many products I personally use an automotive metal polish called white diamond you can get it at any auto parts store

9. JB10

JB10

If you are willing to clean one at a time, go to an auto parts store. Get some stuff called never dull. Put the brass in a drill and use that stuff. Ive found blackish range brass and it will make it look like new.

Mark W and D-4297 like this.
  10. Rsadams

Rsadams

Wet tumbling will make them like new inside and out in about 30 minutes.... It's about the only time I wet tumble anymore is to get old nasty brass nice again , then I use the Walnut or Corncob normally...

338 dude likes this.
  11. PappyH&H

PappyH&H

I dashed out to wally world and got the citric type, came home and did as you suggested and VOILA. I've never used anything that good and with little effort. THANKS

dnellans likes this.
  12. dnellans

dnellans

Glad to hear it worked. It really is like magic for those who like shiny brass but still want the inside of the necks to stay carbon coated

13. JayHHI6818

JayHHI6818 Silver $$ Contributor

338 dude likes this.
  14. D-4297

D-4297 Silver $$ Contributor

I use a rotary tumbler . Warm tap water , a short squirt of Palmolive , and Lemmi-shine . About 2 1/2 hours run time , and they look like brand new , out-of-the-box Lapua . If that doesn't give you what you want , then the Never Dull / Drill is your answer . Slow , but amazing results .

15. Don_Parsons

Don_Parsons

Big bag of Crushed walnut shells,,, a couple of table spoons of kerosene to the tumbler mix,,, an old army cartridge re-loader fellow shared it with me...

He tumbles two 38 gallon barrels of brass cases every week,,, 1 cup full of kerosene to each barrel that is 2/3's full of walnut shells... 10.000 brass per barrel...

Change out the medium when it starts to get real black,,, I get about Seven to Eight cleans of 200 brass before changing it out...

Just another way to skin the cat... ha

Don

joshb likes this.
  16. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

I have been known to put the rim in a collet and spin it at 1500 rpm holding it in scotchbrite. I can clean up 100 pieces in 30 minutes. --Jerry

338 dude and hillbillydruggist like this.
  17. hillbillydruggist

hillbillydruggist

Just a thought, but I have been doing a quick clean with oooo steel wool

338 dude likes this.
  18. Mark W

Mark W Silver $$ Contributor

This is what I do on the rare occasion that I care how shiny my brass is. Never Dull is good stuff.

338 dude likes this.
  19. sqrlgtr

sqrlgtr Silver $$ Contributor

I'll do the same but use never dull wheel polish.

338 dude and Mark W like this.
  20. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Anyone have a recipe for removing moly from bullets besides shooting them ? Any of these methods work on moly removal ?