Punctured primers

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by muleman69, Jan 13, 2019.

1. muleman69

muleman69 USMC -1st marine Div. RVN Gold $$ Contributor

Loaded up some 6br with 30.5 grains of Varget in Lapua cases and 107 SMK's with 7.5 Remington primers and punctured most of them? The brass was full length sized ,headspace .003 off and trimmed .005 under. Shot some of the same loads with cci's with no problems. There was no pressure signs on case and bolt lift was fine

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew

Any oil or lube left on the cases?

simo hayha likes this.
  3. bloc

bloc

Are you shooting a Savage?

4. savagedasher

savagedasher

Many of times punched primers is done with excessive head space
    Take one or more of the cases you have size and put blue painters tape on it
    If the bolt close easy you have in excess of 3 thousand head space

muleman69 and simo hayha like this.
  5. PatMiles

PatMiles Gold $$ Contributor

Take a good look at the firing pin to see if the punctured primers eroded the tip to a jagged edge that will cause the problem to happen again. May not have been the cause of the initial punctured primers but may cause it to happen in the future.

jlow, Ggmac and muleman69 like this.
  6. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Michael Glantz Gold $$ Contributor

30.5 of varget in a standard 6br is a stout load. Couple that with the super soft remington primers, and you have what you experienced. Remington primers wont take the pressure.

SPJ, dogdude, muleman69 and 4 others like this.
  7. brxbrad

brxbrad

Replace the firing pin spring and CCI 450 primers.......its that simple

muleman69 likes this.
  8. muleman69

I did turn necks and size with Imperial wax but always try wipe things clean. Could have been some left in the necks ,would that do it?

9. muleman69

No Savage

10. muleman69

Would I not of had other press signs? I'm thinking the soft primers from what I have read so far. Folks on here are loading over 30.5 with cci450'S. I will not rule anything out for sure.

11. mikeeg02

I had a factory 6br savage that I could only seem to get to shoot 105 hybrids at 30.5 of varget. I chronographed it once, it was smoking at 2940. It was a savage, and I was using 205s. Everything has to be perfect to be able to shoot them without piercing a primer. I got good at taking apart and clearing a savage bolt in the middle of record strings. My record strings suffered, fortunately it was for ground hog matches and long range steel, so I didnt lose too many points. But my bench mates enjoyed the show. I cant imagine trying to use that load with an even softer primer. After a few piercings, my firing pin became more pointed. Making it possible to pierce even reduced loads.

I will never load a cartridge that hot again, and would strongly advise you to find a reduced load. Specially if you want to continue with those primers.

12. Bill K

Bill K Silver $$ Contributor

Over pressure load, for your rifle. First sign of high pressure more often than not is a pierced primer and it being flattened. Rem 7.5 are some of the thickest and strongest primer cups made or high intensity loading, so the primer is not your problem. Back your load off, double check you headspace and work up a accurate load at lower pressure, in your rifle/chamber. Always chuckle when some one says "Savage" or soft Remington primers. Both of which are good quality products, other than in the mind of themselves.

mrjdasr, Steve Ladino, Laurie and 2 others like this.
  13. muleman69

Good info,Think I will back down a grain and go to 450"s or BR's. I do have a lot of 205's

14. 243winxb

243winxb

Seat 3 of each primer with an RCBS Ram Prime Unit. Measure depth. Flush to .008 below case head is normal .

Remove primers and uniform pocket depth with a tool. Measure depth again.

May make a difference.
    Screenshot_20190114-111113.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  15. MGYSGT

MGYSGT Silver $$ Contributor

Switch to CCI Mag or BR and it should stop.

16. mikeeg02

I think there was a time when this was true, but time and time again we see people trying to use them and complaining of pierced primers. But no problems with others. I have been told the older variants of them were indeed tough. I am sure the bean counters got involved.

17. muleman69

Good story, you will probably never here the end of it. Kiss one pig and you will hear about it for life...lol

18. Uncle Ed

Uncle Ed

Below from the Sierra manual.

[​IMG]

Below the .223 case below was fired in a AR15 and the pierced primer was caused by excessive shoulder bump/head clearance.

[​IMG]

That being said I use Remington 7 1/2 primers in all my AR15 ammo and never had a problem.

Post a photo of your pierced primers so you can get some better guesses.

muleman69 likes this.
  19. Bob3700

Bob3700

Another issue to consider is the diameter of ur firing pin. Having the pin dia. Reduced to .062 and bushed will help prevent blanking as well.
    Had to do that on my Remington bolt for my BRX.

timeout and muleman69 like this.
  20. mikeeg02

I had fun with it. I always carried an allen wrench with me to the line lol. I was getting pretty good at it, I would get a crowd, we all laughed about it.

I also led the agg in factory class that year, by quite a bit.

simo hayha and muleman69 like this.