PTG or Mansion 700 action blue print tools

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Spotshooter, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Spotshooter

Spotshooter

I’m getting ready to pick up the tooling to accurize 700 actions.

Any plus / delta between these two you guys could share.

2. rgc54

rgc54 Silver $$ Contributor

It would be more true if the work was completed in a spider in a lathe Tool deflection and all. But either of the truing sets named above will get you close. Remingtons will shoot very well with a good straight chamber on a good barrel and just the lugs lapped and action face squared. YMMV

Danley and hoz53 like this.
  3. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Save your money and get a good internal threading tool and a very nice boring bar. Dont skimp here. I use carmex full profile

Bataction, geo.ulrich and hoz53 like this.
  4. Shawnba67

Shawnba67 Silver $$ Contributor

I believe the Manson set uses a tapered bushing in the bolt raceway, where the ptg uses several different sizes for fit snug. Ive read several reviews where the tooling is stiff enough to cut only on the high parts. I kinda think that on a bad action the recut threads could have a wierd profile once a good centered thread is cut into a cockeyed one, but V threads self center so probly more an acedemic issue than anything.
    After that I base my $$$ on experiences with the company.

Has anyone else noticed how the same guys that spend the first quarter of the day saying its silly to true a 700, then that most of the guys truing actions are making them worse. Then after lunch its how terrible the Piloted truing kits are, and then back to the lathe is the only right way to probly make it worse!
    Do they have a contractual obligation to buy all these ruined 700's? Why do they care so much?

5. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

He didnt ask whether he should true it or what the application is. He asked about the kits- i have both and neither one will blueprint an action. The bar flexes too much to tap cut an off center thread. I do use the ptg mandrel to indicate the action in a cathead fixture to do the action work

6. DaveTooley

DaveTooley Silver $$ Contributor

I've used Manson's since he came out with it. No complaints. Is it perfect? Probably not but how many actions have just had the receiver faced trued and the bolt lapped and they shot great. You reach a point of diminishing returns very quickly. I've checked before and after on just thread alignment several times. Manson's tooling gets it very very close to a "custom" action.

boltfluter, Jesswil61 and Danley like this.
  7. Spotshooter

Spotshooter

I don’t think I’ll (hopefully) need to ream the bolt races, but to get complete alignment to resurface the lugs, shoulder and then fix the threads I’ll definitely need the mandrel, and bushings. The rest I can do with my lathe, I bought 2 of each of what I think are the best action / bolt jigs so I’m definitely set there.

I’m thinking that I can pick up a couple 700’s and blue print them for Pdog guns for myself to start. My PRS gun will be a custom action so it should be tight spec’d right off the shelf.

I do have carmex for internal threading.... :)

Dusty Stevens likes this.
  8. tobnpr

tobnpr

Like Dave, I use Manson's.
    Works for me...waaay faster and results indistinguishable from single-pointing.
    Not to mention, I don't miss the pucker factor that comes with single-pointing threads on a customer's receiver.

Jesswil61, DaveTooley and Danny1788 like this.
  9. Jesswil61

Jesswil61 Gold $$ Contributor

I am no expert by any fashion however, I am trying to understand how the bar is flexing to an extent that affects the threading when it is being guided by a match fitted bushing in front and behind either the reamer or tap?

10. GenePoole

GenePoole

The worst RR action I have done was about 10 thou (0.010 in.) out-of-round. All the RRs I've done are 5 or more thou out-of-round. I don't see any way a tap based device could clean these up.

11. DaveTooley

DaveTooley Silver $$ Contributor

Just my opinion but the threads are the least important part of the truing process. 30+ years ago truing wasn't always part of the process of building a custom rifle. It meant $$$ and most didn't want to spend the money. I can't tell you how many I did just by running a +.010" over tap in to clean up the treads and get a consistent size and finish. A square shoulder and slightly loose threads and they all shot fine.

rangertim, Danny1788, Boyd L. and 4 others like this.
  12. tobnpr

tobnpr

^^^
    Some years ago I called and spoke with DM about the tooling and the general process. He made exactly the same point as this...I remember him commenting on thread fit, that guys bragging about "lapping" their threads to the receiver gnat's ass tight had it all wrong...

Threads align the parts, the mating shoulders of barrel and receiver face are the critical surfaces.

rangertim and Boyd L. like this.