PSA vs WOA

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by brokeasajoke, Aug 12, 2017.

1. brokeasajoke

brokeasajoke

Well not much comparison I guess really but I'm curious as to others thoughts on PSA. It would be used mostly inside 150yds on small critters and steel. I had a SS 1:8 WYLDE PSA but I only shot it open sights so I can't really vouch on accuracy. This is what I'm looking at now. It comes with nickel boron BCG. http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...upper-with-nickel-boron-bcg-ch-516446047.html
    I have a stock of 55gr hornady soft point bullets so 1:7 twist also has me apprehensive. I don't evet do mag dumps and would be happy with MOA accuracy. That's a good deal if it is of any quality. I have also been liking at White Oak SPR uppers. That run $685. Yes I do belive in you get what you pay for most of the time. Thanks.

PS: admin maybe this should be put in ARs for varmints sticky.

2. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

My two cents: If all you are shooting is that distance with light bullets and want to load from the magazine, go to a slower twist. Unless you are going to single feed the heavies, a 7 twist is not the ideal choice.

brokeasajoke likes this.
  3. brokeasajoke

brokeasajoke

It's hard to find much in the 1 in 8 or 9. WOA offers 1 in 8. Honestly didn't plan on doing much work with heavy bullets nut the option is nice I guess.

4. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

I agree with hogpatrol on twist. I have PSA stuff because it is readily available and affordable. I never wanted an AR until it seemed things could change and I could never own one; now I have 5. I had one 7 twist PSA barrel and it did not shoot well for me. Right now, AR stuff is really cheap if you shop sales. No one is ever happy with moa accuracy because we always want more. PSA doesn't tell you who makes their barrels and I suspect they buy from whoever has the best price. They are happy to insinuate that they are "machine gun steel" (hammer forged) and from FN, since FN is in Columbia. With that said I bought a $189 upper with a 1/9 twist that shoots great.

I suggest you think about what you really want to do with an AR, then buy some premium parts and build it yourself. That way you can have the parts you want and pick a barrel from a maker with a good reputation. Otherwise, I suspect you will spend money for a basic gun, then spend much more replacing parts with parts that fit your need. Don't be afraid to spend some money on a good trigger right off the bat. That upper I mentioned? I replaced the gas block with an adjustable one ($129), put a free float forearm on ($100). I put a 2.5 x 8 VXIII with a BDC reticule on it and love that better than many other sights I have tried.

5. hogpatrol

6. brokeasajoke

brokeasajoke

Agreed. Though this is actually for my wife I'm looking for light weight and threaded to put a JP recoil eliminator on. Yes yes I know it's a 223 but she's extremely recoil sensitive and what evet it takes to get her behind the trigger. I'm afraid an 18" or 20" heavy may surpass the weight she's comfortable with.

Knotwild, I agree on trigger. I run a Geissele 2 stage ssa on my armalite.

7. DukeDuke

DukeDuke

The upper you are talking about is awesome, but with heavy bullets. I'd go with a slower twist.

hogpatrol likes this.
  8. brokeasajoke

brokeasajoke

Well if it would put 55gr in side 1-1.25" honestly that's all I'm after, but ya never know until you start putting rounds through it.

9. people

people

I have two of these psa uppers and I mainly shoot 50gr bullets. You will be fine. Both of them will easily shoot around moa. The cost is what brought me to them. If you watch they do come down in price.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    brokeasajoke likes this.
  10. rob67gmc

rob67gmc

I have several from PSA in 1/7, 1/8, and 1/9 twists. They all function reliably and shoot 55-69 gr. well. The 1/9 will go as light as 40 gr. just fine. you also never know about some barrels until you try. I have an Olympic Arms K8 Target Match with a 20" stainless bull barrel that will under 1 MOA at 300 yds with 77 gr. match bullets. My son's 16" Olympic K16 with a 1/9 couldn't hit the ground with 77's if you pointed it straight down.

brokeasajoke likes this.
  11. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

If you want your wife to really love you, get a suppressor for it. I have a JP compensator (not the Eliminator) that I HATE. It is so loud and there is so much blast in front of me that I do not use it. It was a pain to shoot with ear plugs and ear muffs.

One thing that definitely made my rifle milder with recoil is putting a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block on it and tuning it down til it just locks open on the last shot.

brokeasajoke and hogpatrol like this.
  12. brokeasajoke

brokeasajoke

Well just sprung for the PSA in the link of the first post. Next week I'm gonna order the complete lower with the Geissele ssa for $299. Shoot, I gave 200 for just the trigger in my armalite.

hogpatrol likes this.
  13. brokeasajoke

brokeasajoke

Now this brings us to another question. Does a faster twist mainly affect accuracy of short (light) bullets/over stabilized at longer distances? Seems that's the general intenet consensus but I've never tested this.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  14. people

people

I only use 1:8 twist tubes for my AR's. They are very good shooting barrels. A bonus is the bullets do cause plenty of damage.

15. Lone Hunter

Lone Hunter

My opinion only. Have Colts that have 1-7 twist that shoot 50 gr bullets fine. Have a Wilson Combat S/S bull barrel 1/8 twist 20" that shoots great. M&P 15 16" barrel 9 twist shoots great. Other AR's that also shoot good. Always have used bolt guns but these dang AR's are addictive with the things you can do to and with them.Enough blabbering on my part. My opinion on AR's... Get a GOOD barrel and matching bolt. Light quality trigger. Good Optics.. Quality Ammo.. To me, these are needed for a great shooting gun. This and $2.50 will get you a cup of coffee also. Buy Once, Cry Once.

hogpatrol likes this.
  16. brokeasajoke

brokeasajoke

Well it's on the way. Like I said I'm goin geissele trigger on this one also. Most of my ammo is handloaded by me but that doesn't mean it's better than factory lol.

hogpatrol likes this.
  17. hogpatrol

Try some 77 SMKs. With the right powder, they can be loaded magazine length and shoot very well.

brokeasajoke likes this.
  18. rob67gmc

rob67gmc

19. timeout

timeout Silver $$ Contributor

Check into Velocity triggers. Don't think they can be beat for the money.

rob67gmc and brokeasajoke like this.
  20. brokeasajoke

brokeasajoke