PROTEKTOR Bag need some help

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by USMC2111, Sep 2, 2018.

1. USMC2111

USMC2111 Silver $$ Contributor

IMG_20180827_104314279.jpg IMG_20180827_104359117.jpg I am looking at the PROTEKTOR Bags I shoot local matches .We shoot 235 yards out to 1000
    yards.I shoot off the bench.My rifle has McMillian MBR stock,and Henry Rempel bipod.I the bag I am using now is full of the plastic pellets and not very good for this kind of shooting.I am looking at the sloped Dr Bag ,what is the purpose of having a sloped bag?I am also looking at the flat top bags as well ,I think the PROTEKTOR MODEL - DELUXE BB would work too.I want something that is solid.Any advice thanks

2. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

Sloped bags are intended to be used with stocks that have angled toe lines (the bottom of the butt stock), flat with stocks that have no angle. One thing that you should be aware of is that bags are available with different spacing between their ears. I would suggest that you call Protector and ask them what spacing has been found to be the best fit for your stock, and you can make a separate inquiry on this board, or perhaps on the long range benchrest board on Benchrest Central.

3. swadiver

swadiver

here: flat top DR bag

http://protektormodel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=255

don't order it on line. call them up and tell them what stock you have. they will suggest an ear spacing. i usually go with mid ears, height wise. you can also talk to them about options such as what material the ears are made of and a carry handle option. i usual go with heavy sand. they are nice and helpful folks

msinc and USMC2111 like this.
  4. jnm300ultra

jnm300ultra

I have 2 Protector bags love them both. Measure your stock and tell them what type of shooting your doing and I’m sure they are willing to help. I think the MBR stock would have 5/8 ear space in between the ears or the bag, and have a flat bottom. If the stock has any pitch in it get a ftr bag which has pitch for elevation when using a bipod. The turnaround is very fast. Hope this was helpful
    Jason

USMC2111 likes this.
  5. newbieshooter

newbieshooter :-) Silver $$ Contributor

I shoot off a bench with a front rest so I don't have any experience shooting this stock off a bipod.
    I have a MBR stock and the bottom is slightly sloped (specs says it has a 3 degree slant).

I got the following Protektor bag for my MBR:

Model: Dr. Bag
    Flat or Slope: Custom slope to closely match the MBR slope.

upload_2018-9-2_9-24-16.png

Ear Spacing: 3/8". (1/2" inch might work too?)

upload_2018-9-2_9-53-4.png

Ears: Rabbit Ears (something I wanted to try). Protektor said most common are mid-ears.
    Ear Material: 3M silver slick material
    Fill: Heavy Sand in bag. Regular Sand in ears.

ymmv....

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    Roger Johnson and USMC2111 like this.
  6. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

I suppose one could make do with a sloped bag under a flat-bottom stock, but not vice versa.
    -

7. USMC2111

USMC2111 Silver $$ Contributor

called this morning went with Dr Bag 3/8 gap, mid ears 3m material.Heavy sand.Super nice lady on the phone

Thank you for all your help!

dkhunt14 likes this.