Proper hold off bench?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by muleman69, Jan 10, 2019.

1. muleman69

muleman69 USMC -1st marine Div. RVN Gold $$ Contributor

What would be a proper hold off bench? Caldwell front and protector rear bag. Heavy rifle about 12# and light rifle at #6.5 to 7.5 #'s

TonyinKY likes this.
  2. muleman69

Anyone have a favorite hold that gives them good results? Butt ,cheek ,forearm,trigger technique?

3. VaRandy

VaRandy

Remove as much as you can off YOU from the equation. You are probably not necessary at all in the area of forearm. Make sure return to battery is accomplished in some way to the SAME forward position, If you can control the side pressure on the forearm by a proper front rest, do it.Make sure the tracking is repetitive. Use as much time as necessary to nail this down. Once this is done, let it track freely and try not to interrupt the backward movement until the bullet is clear of the barrel. Spend all the time necessary to set up properly or you are wasting your time.

dogdude and muleman69 like this.
  4. expiper

expiper

practice,practice,,,,a light gun is a finiky thing,,,,I like two hands on the comb and sit as straight as possible behind the gun to minimize torque,,,and a sissy bag or shoulder pad if it is large cal,,,,Roger

mikeinct, dogdude and muleman69 like this.
  5. muleman69

How do I go about controlling side pressure with the front rest? Thanks

6. muleman69

I have to squeeze forearm to front rest a bit or scope will bite me. Recoil from my .280 AI in the light Kimber can be a bit heavy. How much cheek weld normally do you use? Trigger control etc.

7. Bart B.

Bart B.

I think most folks will shoot shouldered rifles most accurate/precise slung up in prone with a bag under their front hand and another under the stock toe.

Too many variables with the shouldered rifle resting on two bags atop a bench held tight.

muleman69 likes this.
  8. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

IMO most people will obtain best accuracy from a shouldered rifle with a bipod and rear bag or pod setup, using a cheek weld and firm grip. Such setups effectiveness to accuracy get proven by active military and law enforcement snipers, at competitions and in actual field scenario's daily.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    boltfluter, muleman69 and Evan like this.
  9. Phil3

Phil3

Well, that is good to know, 'cuz that is the way I prefer to shoot. It may or may not be the most accurate, but would like to develop MY personal best shooting performance, using this setup. - Phil

10. savagedasher

savagedasher

My bench guns I don’t touch I shoot free recoil mabey a slightly shoulder touch

muleman69 likes this.
  11. Evlshnngns

Evlshnngns Silver $$ Contributor

I have found it has a lot to do with trigger weight. 3.5# trigger, I'm holding tight. 5oz or less, let the bags do their job.

muleman69 likes this.
  12. Shynloco

Shynloco You can lead a horse to water, but ........ Gold $$ Contributor

I agree with what VaRandy has written. BUT the equipment muleman listed isn't the best available to get the best results out of his rifle. I shoot Benchrest which is the discipline I have been shooting for several years. And whatever "goal" you settle on for best accuracy, is ALSO dependent on the equipment and set-up in terms of the rest and bags you use. And I'm not knocking Caldwell because I started out using a Caldwell Rock Rest and Bags. And I still have them as back-up. But I spent money on a nice custom made rest (Greenlaw) and various sized Protektor Bags (with Super Slick material) that helped improve my score. SO the questions remains....what are you after? And if you want to follow VaRandy's advice (which is good), consider investing in better equipment to improve your score. Again, Caldwell works, but isn't in the category of what you'd want to use in a more serious competition atmosphere. Good Luck with whichever way you go.

Alex

muleman69 likes this.
  13. T-shooter

T-shooter

You should experiment and see what works for you and your equipment. I like a lite grip and the butt just touching my shoulder. If I apply much force sideways with my hand or cheek, it tends to throw the shot off a bit sideways. I try to get sighted in dead center without touching the rifle, then try not to change the point of aim when holding it. Whatever you do, do it exactly the same each time.
    210.jpg These are 5 shots from a cold clean bore (1st shot was the upper right) at 215 yards with a .308.
    215Y Group.jpg

muleman69 likes this.
  14. Richard Coody

Richard Coody Gold $$ Contributor

what calibers and intended use.

for a light recoiling heavy bench rifle free recoil with only trigger finger touching the rifle is most accurate for me.

as you lighten up the rifle and/or step up in recoil more control is required.

practice with the rifle just like you intend to shoot it for its intended use. you don't want to sight in a hunting rifle off a benchrest and plan to use your rolled up coat or nothing to rest on when in the field. fine to use bench setup for load development but to realistically know your accuracy potential in the field shoot it like you are going to use it.

i have lots of different rifles with lots of different holds.

muleman69 likes this.
  15. muleman69

I here you on pods,I don't have them for all my rifles, need to get them set up to accept pods

dmoran likes this.
  16. muleman69

We are real small potatoes next to you guys . Just trying to maybe learn some of the big boys techniques. We shoot paper and gongs for fun of it in a small way.

dmoran likes this.