Primer fellout while seating bullet?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by K9TXS, Aug 13, 2019.

1. K9TXS

K9TXS

I purchased some new 223 LC annealed brass about a month ago. I formed it to 20 Vartarg without any issues. Since the brass was new, I didn't have to remove the crimp from the primer pocket. When I started priming, I noticed how easy the primers went in the pocket. A little to easy. I use the Century 21 priming tool and can easily feel the seating of the primer.

Just as I finished the seating a bullet, the primer fell out of the pocket. Continuing on, one more primer fell out. I only loaded up 30 rounds for this session, but have not tried them out yet.

Anyone else have/had this issue?
    Suggestions welcomed.

2. Doug Beach

Doug Beach Silver $$ Contributor

Your primer pockets are oversized. A handful of possible reasons why, but why isn’t important, in this case. I would discard the brass. It will only cause you grief.

SPJ and dnellans like this.
  3. dnellans

dnellans

If the primer is popping out while you're seating the bullet, then the primer pocket is beyond toasted. I've only had this happen when trying to get "one more firing" out of brass that was on its last legs.

The pressure build up of air in the case while you're seating the bullet is basically popping the primer out.

Pull the bullet, dump the powder, toss the case.

1shot, varget204 and Bc'z like this.
  4. Uncle Ed

Uncle Ed

Before you trash the Lake City 5.56 cases measure your primer diameter and if possible the primer pocket diameter. I use pin gauges to check the primer pockets and primer diameters do vary.

[​IMG]
    I buy once fired Lake City brass and never had a problem with oversized primer pockets.

That being said I wonder why the military would sell brand new cases if they met quality control standards.

K9TXS and Zero333 like this.
  5. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

Is this really new brass,and where did you get it.I do think you might have been ripped.

6. Rsadams

Rsadams

If you can take the brass back for a replacement or refund.....

7. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

I find Federal primers to fit the loosest, CCI mid fit and Sellier & Belliot a very tight fit (just a tad tighter than Wolf). You could find some S&B primers to use instead of trashing the brass if the seller will not take it back.

dc.fireman likes this.
  8. Webster

Webster

Sounds like they were not really new brass. The factory shouldn't screw up that bad.

9. K9TXS

K9TXS

After talking with Grafs & Sons, they assured me they were new.

10. varget204

varget204

Have Never had any SRP brass in any caliber, had primers fall out or be loose,w/Win,Fed,CCI,Rem primers.If pockets are that loose,brass is Scrap

11. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

I have the same brass from Graf and have used Remington 7 1/2s, CCI 450s , and 400s...all fit nice and snug .

12. jepp2

jepp2 Gold $$ Contributor

That is my control point for scraping the brass. Doesn't matter if it is new brass (just had some Winchester) that I tossed about 1/3. I have had bad experiences with primer failures which seem to be exacerbated by loose pockets.

I see folks recommending ways to determine if the pockets are excessively oversize or not. But using some like a pin gage will only measure the minor diameter, not the major. And the pockets don't enlarge concentrically.

But I value my bolt faces and I have now had the unfortunate experience of failures with:
    - the well known Rem 9 1/2 primer failures of 30 years ago (or so)
    - failures with older Rem 7 1/2 primers (the copper colored ones)
    - failures with new Rem 7 1/2 primers (the gold colored ones)
    - and just this year Win LR primers

Here is the typical failure I encounter and each takes a divot from the bolt face.
    Rem Primer Failure 2.jpg

mikeinct and Rsadams like this.
  13. PatMiles

PatMiles Gold $$ Contributor

Refund only, you've been porked once already.
    If you decide to press your luck and use the brass, don't be surprised when you discover your bolt face has been etched by hot gasses escaping around the primer.

Rsadams likes this.
  14. Zero333

Zero333 Silver $$ Contributor

Try a different primer brand. maybe your primers are undersized ???

I find some primer brands fit tighter than others, so until you try a different brand of primer you can't be 100% sure the brass is not right.

15. Sandstorm

Sandstorm Silver $$ Contributor

What primers was he using??

16. Stepsjframe

Stepsjframe

When primers start falling out it means the pressure has reached a point where you shouldn't go any higher.....Expanded Primer Pockets are a sign that you might want to back off that load. Too Hot . The head of the case is being enlarged .
    Cases should wear out from neck or body splits or cracks ...the blown primer pockets should not be happening. By backing off a few grains your brass will last much longer.

17. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    The OP states that this is NEW BRASS and has never been fired. His powder charge has nothing to do with the problem.

18. PatMiles

PatMiles Gold $$ Contributor

OP also states that the brass was converted to 20 Vartag, was it fireformed in the process? If so, hot load?

19. Bill K

Bill K Silver $$ Contributor

If this was new unfired brass, then ask the seller to exchange for a new bunch, something is very wrong with the primer pockets, mainly too large.
    If they were resized and fireformed, then the load was to hot and pressure enlarged the pockets.
    Sounds like they were supposedly new and never loaded or shot, so I would ask the seller/dealer for a exchange.

20. cw308

cw308

I'm a benchrest shooter 308 caliber , I never reloaded a case with a crimp in the primer pockets . If you removed the crimp does that mean you would go from a small RP to a large . Is the flash hole a different size ? I uniform my pockets on all my brass and make the flash holes the same size . I haven't had problems with loose pockets , I use benchrest CCI and Federal primers and so far in 30+ years no problems . Could the crimp be the problem an not the primers?