Priest

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by holstil, Jan 16, 2019.

1. holstil

holstil Silver $$ Contributor

Debating what my next 22 build will be. I really like the Stiller 2500x
    But this nagging feeling of wanting a pcp air rifle keeps at me.

Anybody shot the rti priest? I think I like 25 cal.
    https://www2.rtiarms.eu/priest

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  2. Tim s

Tim s

Better get the Stiller, they have been very tough the last several months but Jerry is about to release a bunch, got 2, one sporter one 10 1/2lb gun.....you will not regret them.

3. moorepower

moorepower

PCP air rifles are actually really effective pesting tools. I prefer My .25 marauder for PDogs, but a .22 will work well.

4. holstil

I've heard that pcp rifles are really quite. Is that true? I see where some have provisions for suppressors

5. pmg

pmg Silver $$ Contributor

Can’t help you with the priest, although I’ve watched a few reviews lately. Now if you would have said a Taipan Veteran long I would have said go for it buy all means. Spelling intentional. Watch out, it will make safe queens.

6. Outrider27

Outrider27 Gold $$ Contributor

The pcp air rifles with suppressors are quiet, as are the specialty pcp air rifles designed specifically for precision target work. Since most non-target pcps are out for high velocity, they are not quiet, due to the "horsepower" needed for high velocity. You want 950-1100+ fps, you will have a fair amount of noise to contend with (by air rifle standards) unless you buy one with a built in suppressor. On the plus side, factory installed suppressorss pcp air rifles are not subject to the BATFE regs that govern cartridge firearms.

7. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

I shoot a 25 Marauder. The big hassle with the PCP is refills. Mine gets 16 shots before I need to pump, and pump and pump. My kid went and grew up...now it is on me. Option is a tank ($500 and a compressor...$300 from China). All that and honestly, I LOVE it. 1/3 or less noise than a target round 22 (not suppressed). Downrange the pellet does make a zip sound...but I am not unhappy at all with noise. It is much quieter than my model 48 RWS was (springer). Someday I will get a tank and compressor...for now.....pump. I would strongly suggest a tank (Great White) for PD hunting.

Can't tell you which to chose but I suggest you find someone who has a PCP and shoot it. For field use the Marauder is a fine entry gun. There are much better ones. I have taken crows at 77 yards, made called shots on the "O" of a coke can at 70, popped english sparrows at 55 with impunity, and pigeons are toast out to 65. I like a mildot or similar scope for holdovers. I have a weaver 4-14 GS. I like the 25 because it will smoke a groundhog (in the head) and dump squirrels easily, and i would not hesitate to take a coon. I like the Benjamin round dome pellet. At 25 yards it is a one holer in no wind.

thekriebles likes this.
  8. holstil

Snert, I almost scored a marauder. That probably would have scratched my pcp itch.
    Now that I've seen samples of the likes of daystate, fx, air arms, air force, hatsan and quite a few more, it has piqued an interest I'm struggling to ignore.

I like the higher volume tanks on some these air rifles. The features im attracted to on this priest are, obviously accuracy, but also the flatness of pressure through a long shot string (100+?) And the teather hose. I will likely hold off on a pump for awhile and see if I can use one my of my oxygen tanks from a torch set up and run a cpl satellite bottles when I leave the house.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  9. bdale

bdale NRA Life Member

I've had the airgun itch lately myself but just can't justify the cost associated with PCP, I'm looking at this

Don't get me wrong PCP's are nice but for me the cost of tanks and pumps isn't worth the slight gain in accuracy, and I was told that the tanks have to pass an inspection and require to be replaced after a certain period of time don't know far sure just what I've been told:confused:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    holstil likes this.
  10. Outrider27

Outrider27 Gold $$ Contributor

Bdale, basically the tanks seem to be subject to the same regs as scuba tanks, which makes sense. Inspection is periodic at 5 years, if memory serves, replacement only if it fails. I used a 70 cubic foot scuba tank and got it charged at a local dive shop (after signing their waiver stating that it wasn't for diving use), since I don't have a current diver cert. One tank in that cubic foot range gives a lot of PCP charges. I also get a lot of exercise with my 3000 psi version of a bicycle pump.......

Pulpit likes this.