pre match ritual

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by mr.big, Jun 1, 2018.

1. mr.big

mr.big

I have made this into a habit,,I watch the Carlos Hathcock interviews the night before any match I will be shooting,,,hoping I can stay in my bubble for about 6 hours tomorrow,

I have tried to embed the video to start at 7:10 but I am not doing it right,,if you want to watch it all is fine but the part I try and get in my brain starts at about 7:15 into it

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6mmTAC40, okie, Zero333 and 2 others like this.
  2. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

I like your ritual............:cool:

3. tn6br

tn6br Silver $$ Contributor

There’s a lot of truth there. It takes a huge mental effort for me to get in that bubble sometimes. If i could calm down and bring myself to that level of focus every time i sat at the bench it would be a game changer.

TerryH and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  4. Twitchy

Twitchy Silver $$ Contributor

My prematch ritual is to bitch about how tired I am, how hot it is, how bad the sun will be in my eyes, how bad the mirage is, how bad the wind is blowing, and how I switched lots of powder. It pretty much covers every scenario for when I don't win the match.:D

Tom Smith, Bully, fultonbig9 and 17 others like this.
  5. Mr. Ten-X

Mr. Ten-X

Pre match ritual...

#1 - Make sure all gear is in order and double-checked so that when you hit the deck, nothing has been overlooked.

#2 - BS with all of your friends.

#3 - Separate yourself from everything else and focus intently on range conditions, for at least 15-20 minutes before you fire. Establish a firing parameter that will bring you your best possible score.

Acyr, Erud and Dgd6mm like this.
  6. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

My pre match ritul usually happens on my way to the match and involves second guessing myself and stopping somewhere down my half mile long driveway and making sure I put the bolt back in my rifle after cleaning it. After that I'm GTG.

Tom Smith, okie, Twitchy and 2 others like this.
  7. jr600yd

jr600yd Gold $$ Contributor

My ritual? Making sure I get up at the right time.

8. Regnar

Regnar Silver $$ Contributor

Excellent post.

Although I am two years into this game, I am not new to competion and have competed at high levels in several as l sports.

What he Carlos says about not know he won because he was concentrating so hard is true. when I competed in skeet, when I was shooting the best I never really knew or remembered what was going on or where we were in the round. I would concentrate so hard that I could see the ridges in the clay target. everything happened on slow motion.

The best shooter in the world, wayne Mays,to have me the best piece of advice I ever got. If you are counting your misses you are not concentrating on what you need to be in order not to miss.

Tgat is what I try and do now. I try to visualize the match on the way there. At the match, I try to zone out and watch the conditions. when not shooting I watch the good shooters on the line and try to see where they drop points and what the conditions look like. Even if they clean it, I can learn from where there group is. is it up wind? Is it centered?

All that helps me get into a zone when I lay down behind the rifle.

perry42 likes this.
  9. JeffT

JeffT Silver $$ Contributor

I like to sacrifice a chicken

fatelvis, NA Woody, Jeff and 4 others like this.
  10. JohnKielly

JohnKielly Australia, not Austria

Can I come to the fry?

11. JeffT

Sure
    Probably Raton in September

12. Ringostar

Ringostar

The Longshots team has done this at nationals already. Not cooking to eat, but actually tossed one into the fire pit.

13. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Silver $$ Contributor

Don't forget to add "I'm fireforming" to the list when things really go bad!

14. USMCDOC

USMCDOC Silver $$ Contributor

That isn't pre ritual, that is post walk of shame!

15. okie

okie Gold $$ Contributor

LOL!!!

16. JeffT

Sorry but it's a Spindle Shooter ritual. Started at Raton in 2013.

17. Ringostar

Ringostar

Ok when I seen it at 2016 nationals, I believe that they shot as a combined team. There were members of both teams around the fire.

18. Immike

Immike Silver $$ Contributor

I have found that getting the ammunition loaded a week or so ahead of time does help with a big match. Loading the gear and going through everything for a few days also helps get me ready. Leaving no unfinished business is important, such as paying the bills and fixing that roof leak so to speak. My wife has instructions to not call me with any problems not necessary.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  19. Mr. Ten-X

Mr. Ten-X

Coached a fellow that was using my rifle while fireforming cases for a long-throated Dasher during a team match @ 1000yds at Harris MN. He fired a 200-10X...his personal best score. He eventually bought the rifle and was never quite able to better that score.

20. mr.big

mr.big

it`s been a month,,,UBR match tomorrow

I would really like to set a personal best in at least 1 yardage tomorrow,,,,or 4 targets at 200 yards with no 9`s regardless of the score would tickle me to death,,,,anything over 260 at 100 or 248 at 200 would be a really good day for me,,

I hope everybody has a big time and nobody gets hurt wherever your shooting tomorrow.

Mulligan likes this.