Pre-fit barrel compatibility?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by omega1, Oct 10, 2019.

1. omega1

omega1 Silver $$ Contributor

Hello everyone. With more rifles using a barrel nut system to headspace (or so it seems) are any of the thread and diameter interchangeable? The Savage, Remington 783, Ruger American, etc. Can I swap one to any one of the others or are they all make/model specific specs?
    Thanks

2. milanuk

milanuk Gold $$ Contributor

They tend to be make/model specific. Some semi-custom actions like the Bighorn Origin and ARC Nucleus are built to specifically take Savage small-shank pre-fit barrels, though.

Twicepop likes this.
  3. Franko

Franko

There should be comparability between receivers that use the same thread pattern (e.g. Savage Small Shank) as long as the barrel is cut for a barrel nut. If it's shouldered your likely out of luck.

4. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Mausingfield is the same as the nucleus plus they have a drawing so you can fit a barrel to them without having the action in hand

mike a and Nightraider like this.
  5. Nightraider

Nightraider

The best way is to use a shoulder, not a nut.

No one thinks smashing their nuts into a wall is a good idea, so why start with barrels.

Anymore companies like Impact, Siller, ARC, Bighorn, Kelbly, Bat and Borden have such high tolerances you can cut to fit without having the action in hand.

A few months ago I cut a Stolle Panda from 91' that still had identical specs to the new Pandas.

Dusty Stevens likes this.
  6. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Silver $$ Contributor

Another question that comes up, "I have a trued action, can I order a Pre fit barrel"?

7. Dusty Stevens

the answer is- i wouldnt

Stan Taylor and Nightraider like this.
  8. 1911nut

1911nut

There’s a considerable cost savings being able to rebarrel with a prefit barrel with a barrel nut. A Shilen prefit barrel for a Savage action, an action wrench and barrel nut wrench cost me less than having a gunsmith supply, chamber and fit a barrel.

I’ve barreled 3 Savage actions with Shilens and big ol’ barrel nuts and they shoot way tighter than I expected.

daleboy and Mark W like this.
  9. Nightraider

Nightraider

Until it doesn't. Perfect example, PVA makes prefits for Bighorns. Customer buys one, screws it on, shoots 700 6.5x47L virgin cases through it, realizes the chamber is screwed up and is so large the brass is trash because you can't resize it, PVA hasn't made it right yet. Several other barrels are identical to that one in many other calibers. Why? Well because people are so eager to have it now that the QC has gone to shit to keep up with demand. People just throw a barrel in the CNC and hit send, the Amazon Prime generation is coming to a range near you.

10. Mark W

Mark W Gold $$ Contributor

Guys who can chamber their own barrel, guys who chamber others barrels for dollars, and those who have a quality gunsmith readily accessible will never say anything nice about a nut job. For the rest of us it’s a viable option in many cases.

11. 1911nut

1911nut

I only have experience with Shilen prefit for large shank Savage actions and only 3 barrels.

There’s always somebody selling crap, my three rifles give Shilen prefit barrels an A+ rating.

12. jpx2rk

jpx2rk

Is it even possible to swap barrels on a Ruger American rifle ?

13. omega1

omega1 Silver $$ Contributor

Yep, PTG offers replacement barrel nuts in case you want to use your Savage barrel nut wrench when you replace your barrel.

14. Shawnba67

Shawnba67 Silver $$ Contributor

Different rifles have different unsupported case measurements(go guage protrusion)
    Savage uses 0.125+or-
    Remmington is 0.150+or-
    I thought I had read Marlin xr7 had 135 so while it has Savage threads a savage barrel probly wouldnt fit.

Stan Taylor likes this.
  15. Bill K

Bill K Silver $$ Contributor

You will be way ahead to buy pre-fits for a specific brand/action. When you start to make this or that fit you can really open a can of worms and can wish you never started down that path.

1911nut likes this.
  16. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

Well said,nothing wrong with them for their intended purpose. Not everyone has a lathe .

Dgd6mm likes this.
  17. jlshaw

jlshaw Silver $$ Contributor

That really closely tracks with my own experience. Have purchased several Shilen and Criterion barrels - mostly in .260 Rem and .308. They have been uniformly excellent.

Your mileage may vary.

18. dminn1

dminn1

Shot this target yesterday evening with my newest Criterion Remage in 284 Win. First shots with fire formed brass, 184g Berger Hybrids and H4831SC . It is shooting well just like my other two Criterions and one Shilen. Shot 4 other three shot groups on another target and the barrel averaged .401 moa for 7- 3 shot groups at 330 yards. This was with no previous load development and across 3.5 grains of H4831SC. I continue to be impressed with the performance of the barrel nut system. IMG_1787.JPG

19. Dusty Stevens

When you cut the threads true to the raceway you never know how far oversized they will be. If you have to take .010 or a hack takes .055- once its cut its not a good fit plus you wont have the bolt nose clearance after the front ring is trued up. Will it screw on and tighten up? Yes and it will fit about like every other prefit. Best option is to not touch an action if youre going to run the prefit route

20. 1911nut

1911nut

So then the gunsmith cuts the threads on the barrel some oversized to match the “oversized “ action?

I thought barrel/action would be trued/threaded to a standard?

I tried to thread a bolt one time for my truck, it worked ok. That’s my level of machining but I have great interest in this stuff.