Prairie Dogs in Montana late summer

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by Ironworker, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Ironworker

Ironworker Silver $$ Contributor

My place in Montana had to cancel because of flooding,But will be back in July-September. In late spring there are thousands of Dogs ( Out side of Billings MT) how about in Late summer ?

2. rmr

rmr Gold $$ Contributor

P-dogs are active all summer. The main difference between spring and fall is that the little ones have grown up and aren't as stupid as they were 3 months before. Also, the parents have kicked the little ones out of the burrow and the population density is a lower as the colony expands geographically. you should experience great hunting, but the dogs will be more spread out. the only other difference that I can think of is the outside temps. Late summer its hotter, so the dogs will take a longer siesta in the afternoon. more feeding activity in the morning and late afternoon.

3. effendude

effendude Gold $$ Contributor

A couple buddies and I just got back from two days of hunting/shooting just north of Billings. Lots of young dogs still. The ranches we hunted were very cautious as to letting us on as they were concerned about grass fires from hot vehicles. I don't know if this concern was warranted but it is their land and they get the final say. Luckily we had a local guy with nus who trains their horses and helps at round ups so he eased their concerns. Later in the summer, dryness might be an issue. Good Luck.
    Scott

4. drover

drover

Grass fires from vehicles is a major concern, practically every year there are some prairie fires started by vehicles, combines, etc. Automotive catalytic converters get very hot and there have been fires started by nothing more than setting in the same place idling and the catalytic converter is so hot that it ignites grass touching it.

drover

5. SDWhirlwind

SDWhirlwind

Stopped at a 30 acre or so small town just off hiway on National Grasslands on Tue. Checking for pups as they are 3wks at least late this yr. Had .4 tenths of rain a few nights prior and fresh tracks showed there was an out of state visitor to the town. Seen something white scattered in a 15-20' area on trail so stopped to see what it was. Found about a dozen HMR cases laying around and at least 48 cig butts. Was't an ashtray dump as to how they were scattered and some stomped on. We are in the so called moderate drought range by weather service but my lawn went 14 days without mowing and then only 2-3" growth so I would call it more than moderate as hay land is going backwards etc now. Warmest May in yrs, a couple of inches below normal precip and a lot of higher than normal wind lately. That pasture is 12K+ acres and one on other side of hiway is 16K+. Already several praire fires so if a fire in a dog town many places around here in right conditions could burn for miles. Don't take much stupid to change landscape and scenery and some ranchers have to sell livestock in a down market because of that stupid consuming thousands of acres of grazing they had depended on!

DirtySteve likes this.
  6. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Gold $$ Contributor

Fires are alway a concern.looking out the window now at last year' burn area.