Power Protection For Electric Scales?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by AROKHUNTER, Feb 11, 2019.

1. AROKHUNTER

AROKHUNTER Gold $$ Contributor

I’m about to start using an RCBS Chargemaster Lite and I would like to hear some recommendations on what I need as far as surge protector, or any other devices.

Anything that will help protect the scales, or operate better.

I don’t really know what I need. I have heard that you can put something between the scales and power that helps maintain a more constant current and maybe help filter out electrical noise.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Termite I

Termite I Gold $$ Contributor

I recently bought the A&D FX120i Auto Throw Auto Trickle combo and had the same questions. After doing some research on what others were using I picked the Tripplite LC1200. It's a line conditioner and surge protector. I didn't do a before and after test on it so I don't know if it improved anything but for my piece of mind it was worth it. I think you can find them for around $110.

AROKHUNTER likes this.
  3. Willie

Willie Silver $$ Contributor

X-2 on the Tripp Lite 1200. Have been using it 5-6 years and my 120i has never faltered. Cheap compared to scale cost. I'm running 2 dispensers and the scale. Excellent purchase.

Termite I, rardoin and AROKHUNTER like this.
  4. TrxR

TrxR

Im going to run my fx120 off a 12 volt battery for now.

gunnermhr and mikeeg02 like this.
  5. JMayo

JMayo

I use a 15.oo surge protector strip from Wally world .....

Rsadams likes this.
  6. F Class John

F Class John NRA Life Member Gold $$ Contributor

Anything is better than nothing and better is only relative to how much you care about the quality and longevity of your electronics. Not all surge protectors are created equal and price really does dictate the level of protection. Triplite is really tough to beat and can be had for reasonable prices on Amazon and other places. Adding one with a line conditioner will only help that much more. There’s lots of ways and combos to achieve protection but do your research first if you really care about whatever you’re protecting. I’m as frugal as any remainder but cheaping out on a surge protector isn’t where I’d try to save a couple bucks.

7. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

^^^^ The Tripp-Lite 1200 will offer reasonable surge protection and reasonable line voltage conditioning...at a reasonable price. Mine has been flawless for 3+ years and keeps the line voltage stable with a refrigerator/freezer compressor as well as an electric heater (in winter) cycling on the same circuit.

AROKHUNTER likes this.
  8. F Class John

nmkid, Termite I and Joe Salt like this.
  9. sdean

sdean Gold $$ Contributor

Almost useless. A lightning strike will go right through that thing.

10. JimSC

JimSC

Belkin BE112230-08 12-Outlet Power Strip Surge Protector $20 bucks on Amazon - Do some research on Belkin,they have been around in the computer world for 30 + years now. I started using their routers and modems back when I had more hair on my head than in my nostrils. I have Belkin surge protectors on every major piece of electronics in my home. The lines in front of my home are considered main trunk lines so anytime a limb anywhere near my neighborhood falls on the lines we get power surges. Every few weeks you will hear a transformer pop and all the digital clocks reset and the computers reboot. Knock on wood but so far I have never lost anything due to the surges

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    JMayo likes this.
  11. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie Gold $$ Contributor

We all have to many loads on our circuits that can create line noise. Having a good line conditioner that is designed for electronics is critical to the performance of these scales and their longevity.

12. F Class John

TippLite and Belkin are usually in the top 2 or 3 of any “best of” list and it’s hard to go wrong with either. APC is another good one. Things to look for no matter what you buy are let-through voltages, zero to very low response times and how many isolated filter banks are in there. The advertised joules rating on the packages aren’t always the best way to tell. Better protectors will isolate the plugs so current can’t travel between them and lower response times ensure the circuit is cut quick. Anyway, like I said in the beginning, anything is better than nothing when it comes to these things so no matter what go get yourself something so you’re not worried about ‘what if’.

I forgot to mention that asking friends who work in office environments is good too and you ought just get lucky. You’d be amazed at how much really good equipment gets trashed when business revamp things just because they don’t have the time or inclination to repurpose it properly.

13. SGK

SGK Silver $$ Contributor

Really? We're not talking about high end audio electronics here (my other hobby). Surge protection is one thing. Line filtering/conditioning is another.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    a1712 likes this.
  14. JimSC

JimSC

ferrite toroids are less than $5, and are very effective. You can find them made to fit almost any power cord

15. Homerange

Homerange

CM PSU's used to be linear PSU's and of 110 or 230VAC types but now they are multi-voltage SMPS.
    All I did with mine is wrap several turns of the PSU low voltage lead through a ferrite toriod so to clean the DC power a little better than a small SMPS walwart could.

16. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie Gold $$ Contributor

If you feel that line noise will have no affect on lab grade digital scales, well that is up to you. I have seen differently.
    Almost everything in a modern home has a computer in it and is sensitive to line noise, voltage and frequency variations.
    Even on my boat, all my appliances including the frig and TV are fed through my Inverter which is modified sine wave. The life expectancy of anything with digital controls will be greatly improved by line conditioning. Lab grade scales can be even more sensitive to these issues. We spend a considerable amount of money on the fx120i scale and the attachments to have high degree of performance. I only have a Lyman Auto Dispensor and have seen a huge improvement in the consistency of the output and wondering. Enough where I have put off purchasing a fx120i.
    Wouldn't you want to protect it and help it to last?
    Again, to each their own.

F Class John likes this.
  17. Twoboxer

Twoboxer Silver $$ Contributor

IMO, protect the scale with a surge protector if you wish. Any inexpensive, name brand device will give the protection it advertises. And as mentioned above, ferrite beads are low-cost and can be helpful by attenuating high frequency EMI/RFI electronic noise on your power cord. Then use your scale and go from there.

But the question is how far to go. Surge protectors that protect against really big hits get more expensive. Same with "line conditioners". The odds that a reasonably priced conditioner will solve one's problem . . . if your problem is on the line . . . are low. Providing truly conditioned power is not cheap.

18. Uncle Ed

Uncle Ed

Just install a ground fault receptacle near your reloading bench to protect your gear. If you are worried about a unbalanced load or other interference then run a dedicated line to your reloading bench. I have a dedicated line with a ground fault receptacle going out to a outside receptacle and I tapped into it for my bench and RCBS ChargeMaster Combo.

I think temp changes and not warming up the unit long enough would have more effect.

19. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Youll solve every problem youll ever have by using a battery pack. Next best thing is unplug it when not in use. No surge protector will help with the right strike.

dogdude and dave@aDave like this.
  20. brokeasajoke

brokeasajoke

This thread reminds me I've got a Panamax around here some where. I'll have to dig it out.