Postal rates to Hornady for modified cases

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by dbduff, Feb 10, 2018.

1. dbduff

dbduff Gold $$ Contributor

sent 2, 6 br, fired, unsized cases to Hornady for modification and $15 check in small package via ups per instructions. $12 shipping charge, with nys tax to ship from nys to Nebraska total cost was a few cents shy of $20.00. Wtf, any body else have this happen? Think it has to do with ups recognizing Hornady as being in the firearms business and hence the higher shipping cost. I find this unconscionable, bordering on robbery. Anybody else have this experience, or am I just lucky?
    David Duff

2. cdhbrad

cdhbrad Gold $$ Contributor

Was UPS the only shipper? USPS Priority Mail would have been only about $7.

3. Just Say Moe

Just Say Moe

Wouldn't they fit in a padded envelope?

4. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

I just sent 9 cases in a small padded envelope 1st class with the USPS for a touch over $3.

5. 370bc

370bc Silver $$ Contributor

I ordered a dope card from Bison Tactical that did not weigh anymore than the envelope they sent it in. $18 shipping! From now on, I will be picking small light packages such as this at my local UPS distribution center, or a business very close to it. That was a total ripoff!!

6. MGYSGT

MGYSGT Silver $$ Contributor

They used to call it "shipping and handling". People didn't like that, so they dropped the handling phrase. Drink the Kool-Aid.

nmkid likes this.
  7. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

8. Shawnba67

Shawnba67

Threads are 5/16x36 tap is $15 make your own.

joshb, nmkid and LA50SHOOTER like this.
  9. BP1

BP1 Team Texas F-TR Gold $$ Contributor

I always look at it this way can I drive them there myself cheaper...then that usually settles me down

10. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

USPS is your friend. When I saw UPS to Hornady, I just dropped mine in the mail.;)

11. Charlie-NY

Charlie-NY

Hornady sells a modified case for some really obscure cartridges but for some reason there don't make one for 30Nosler. Hmmmmm

12. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

Not all the time. But, sometimes I will drive to a supplier just to enjoy the ride!

13. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

You have to just look at the total price. It really matters not how they split out the charges. If they had charged $20 with "free shipping" you would have said "OK" or "Too Much". either way, you would have just evaluated the cost vs what you were willing to pay and acted or moved on.

As a long time internet businessman, selling on ebay, I can tell you for sure that there is no such thing as free shipping. Ebay wants sellers to offer "free shipping" but I've contacted USPS, UPS, Fedex, and others and none were willing to give me free shipping.

So I generally absorb the time I spend shipping just something I do, hornady has to pay someone to ship. They may have asked their shipping clerk if they will work for free, but probably got a negative answer....

So the better run a business is, the better they can control their costs, and the less overhead they will add.

I just look at the total cost and don't worry about how it is split up.

When selling I generally quote shipped $ so that it is clear to the buyer what the total will be. If I see something for sale + shipping and Insurance, I either pass or say "I'll pay $x total". Shipping can vary a lot. I once bought a rifle and offered $20 for shipping. The seller agreed. After he shipped it he complained he had paid $50 for shipping. Turns out he walked into a retail 3rd party shipper and paid them to box it. I'm glad I didn't agree to his terms of + shipping and insurance.

14. dbduff

dbduff Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks all for the responses. The kicker in all of this is that Hornady reccomends you send ups as usps may kick it back as undeliverable. Generally I don't follow directions well, now I'm to beginning to understand why. This was all for a 6brdx modified case. Think added cost was for contents of package and nothing to do with size or weight. Will roll my own in the future.

15. NWnewguy

NWnewguy

I don't fully understand the UPS addiction by most companies. I know that they pick up and that's a huge plus to waiting in line at the PO, but USPS will pick up as well. I don't think most companies understand this. Unless UPS gives a huge distinct to corporate customers, this is a big financial mistake. The prices for USPS are cheaper and generally shipping is faster. I just shipped a barreled action via USPS Saturday. It cost $24 plus insurance. It will be delivered Monday. That's from New Mexico to North Carolina. UPS would allow it to sit in a warehouse rather than deliver it sooner than the 7 day standard.

I bought a Ohaus/RCBS dial-a-grain scale the other day and it was missing the end loop to attach the powder stand to the beam. It's a small aluminum part that doesn't weigh an ounce. Everywhere I looked shipping was $15 via UPS. Finally found someone that shipped USPS and it was $6.95. Still a little crazy, but it's not $15.

Additionally UPS refuses to find my house. I continually complain to my relatives that work for UPS that they suck (they don't have an answer and I remind them they could make a lot more money if they had happier customers) and why do they refuse to deliver to my house even when they claim that when my address pops up it will print an additional slip with turn by turn directions on it. Google maps goes right to my house, so it's not that tough. Yet everytime, without fail, I end up getting the "could not find house notice" and I have to call and then wait for a call back, just so I can hear how it should have worked and that it should be delivered tomorrow or the next day, depending on whether or not they have already loaded the truck.

Don't get me started on making an insurance claim with UPS. Better be shipped in a bullet proof box or it wasn't their fault someone put a fork lift tine through the package!

I had a great UPS guy in Washington state when I lived there and he delivered consistently. It still took 7 days, but he always found the house. The drivers here keep changing and I can't even give the guy a Christmas bonus because it's a different dude every other time. Sorry for the rant. It was therapeutic and I feel better now.

16. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

I just bought the tap and make my own. One time $15 and done.:D

17. drover

drover

If I am reading this correctly your complaint about the charges should be - UPS RATES TO HORNADY FOR MODIFIED CASES.

I understand that it easy to mix up UPS and USPS - just wondering which you meant. If you meant UPS then you should change the thread title.

As mentioned in another reply using the postal service and a flat padded envelope would only be about $3.00, or a small Priority Mail box (which comes with $50.00 insurance would have only been $7.00

drover

joshb likes this.
  18. dsinfour

dsinfour Silver $$ Contributor

There is a reason usps is known as snailmail...10 days from Maryland to Florida...So stop crying and pay the price..Enjoy

19. kris bassett

kris bassett

I use USPS over UPS whenever I can. UPS is slow and expensive! USPS first class is always my first choice. FedEx is my second choice and then UPS.

20. dickn52

dickn52 Gold $$ Contributor

Small flat rate box at USPS is $7.50 in 2 days. If it fits it ships.