possible causes of horizontal stringing

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Willoughby, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Willoughby

Willoughby Silver $$ Contributor

I bought my then young sons identical R700 SS Mtn rifles in 3006 with pencil barrels and Leopould vxiii scopes in 1988? ish
    they both shot well for all these years , and one still does print 3 shot moa groups -good enough for hunting , the other one recently started horizontal stinging, first cold shot may hit a inch or so from center , next 2 shots will be 2 inches left and 4 inches left of 1st shot , but perfect horizontal line , Ive checked scope mounts, and bedding all seems to be in order, I bedded both rifles some years ago with devcon and steel pillars - Im out of ideas . Im thinking swapping scopes , but Ive never had a Leopould fail, any ideas appreciated , thanks in advance

2. JEFFPPC

JEFFPPC Silver $$ Contributor

Very easy, switch the scopes gun to gun after checking bases are still tight. I have often found bases loose when checking similar problems for people. And any brand scope can and do fail.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  3. SSL

SSL Gold $$ Contributor

Is this from a clean barrel each time? If so, what happens with subsequent shots as the barrel fouls? If the group settles down, obviously the barrel requires a certain amount of fouling to group. I had a Weatherby .257 Magnum that did exactly that. It had to have at least 5 shots fired before it would group...and it too had one of those buggy whip barrels.

On the other hand, I also had the same thing happen on a different rifle and it turned out to be a weak tensioning spring (for want of a more technical description) on the horizontal adjustment. Each shot jarred it just enough to move the crosshair an additional 3 clicks right (group left). Scope had previously been flawless. As to scopes failing; it isn't a matter of if, it's a matter of when. Some just take longer to fail.

Good luck and keep us posted as to what you find.

4. RWO

RWO

It's LEUPOLD! dammit. NOT "Leopould"

mike a, ckaberna, kendog and 3 others like this.
  5. garandman

garandman Bolt Gun Bodacious Gold $$ Contributor

I've given up on the butchery being done to Lou O. Pold's name. :)

6. JEFFPPC

JEFFPPC Silver $$ Contributor

Dont forget Knight Force scopes, lol.

garandman likes this.
  7. garandman

garandman Bolt Gun Bodacious Gold $$ Contributor

Your recommendation to simply switch scopes (put the good scope on the offending rifle) and check the rings and bases was a tiny bit of genius. :)

My experiences with pencil barrels have never been good. They heat up fast and walk long distances.... for me, anyway.

Big_Daddy likes this.
  8. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Moving as it heats up could be differential heating, especially on a light barrel. I'd make sure I have good clearance around the barrel, and that the bedding is still seated well, and the action screws are tight. --Jerry

SPJ and garandman like this.
  9. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Nite Force
    Anyway I think your barrel’s bent

10. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Yes, a bent barrel can move as it heats up.

11. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Forester

kendog likes this.
  12. Willoughby

Willoughby Silver $$ Contributor

my apologies fine sir but- my scope boxes from 88 are all in the attic, I think...

13. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Rotate the scope in the rings 90 degrees and see if it starts vertical stringing.

14. Shawnba67

Shawnba67 Silver $$ Contributor

Genius!

Willoughby likes this.
  15. BIG D

BIG D Gold $$ Contributor

Replace firing pin spring

16. mike a

mike a 6BR Rocks Gold $$ Contributor

How it on its side. Gangster style.