Portable gongs with stands

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by muleman69, Jan 6, 2018.

1. muleman69

muleman69 Silver $$ Contributor

Wanting to set up a course out to maybe 1000 yards,unfortunatelly we will have to remove the targets each day. Looking for some ideas on making targets and portable stands?

2. AlloyTargets

AlloyTargets Site $$ Sponsor

GSPV, Mark W and Immike like this.
  3. AlloyTargets

AlloyTargets Site $$ Sponsor

Enter promo code 6MMBR15 to get 15% off everything except scope checkers.

GSPV, muleman69 and Immike like this.
  4. Timgunner

Timgunner Silver $$ Contributor

Here is a possible option that uses rebar. If you have access to a welder you can make something that resembles a 4way canvas tent elbow and pass the rebar through it to make an A-frame. If you live in hay country I’d make friends at the feed store and try to get your hands on some free worn out baker belt, it make excellent target hanging material that dormant break with a bullet impact.

https://jcsteeltargets.configio.com...stand-kit?source=search&returncom=productlist

https://www.ptmtarps.com/1-3-way-lo...MI76z9q-7D2AIVyLbACh0AlQCREAQYAyABEgJhlvD_BwE

5. Timgunner

Timgunner Silver $$ Contributor

By the way if you go solid rebar route, you could just bring a bag of rebar ties and tie a couple frames together and tie a cross piece over the top. On uneven ground I have used a post driver and drive two upright pieces of rebar and then set a pipe T fitting on top then run rebar through that. This way you don’t have to worry about the whole stand tipping over if the ground is less than level. We used that set up at Wy- Shot last year and had over 50 shooters banging steel from 100-1,000 for two solid days and never had a target go down.

6. damoncali

damoncali Gold $$ Contributor

7. JayHHI6818

JayHHI6818

I have 5 from hang fast and love them. They hang on a "T" post so very portable and ring louder when hit. Last summer they took a pounding from 223 25-06 243 6.5-284 and no marks on them.

https://hangfasttargets.com/

swd likes this.
  8. 4xforfun

4xforfun Gold $$ Contributor

20180106_164202.jpg 20180106_164208.jpg Doesn't get any easier than this. All you need is a big hammer and pound them into the ground to taste. Now, obviously I have it leaning against the overhead door...in use they would be straight up and down. And, attaching the chains this way angles the bullet splash down a touch.

Tod

9. Sekora

Sekora

I have the stand and a few targets from field and cave. Very nice portable stand.

10. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

I have a set of these. They work really well and ring like a bell. I would buy them all over again.

11. muleman69

muleman69 Silver $$ Contributor

Wow this is great, lots of good stuff. Great ideas

12. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

Tod, did you build these or purchase them somewhere?

13. 4xforfun

4xforfun Gold $$ Contributor

I am a sneaky bastard......I have a shooting friend who LOVES to come out and shoot with me. He works at a fab shop making hopper bottom bins. I had about 10 sets of these already built by my brother-in-law who I paid about $50.00 a set. I "hinted" to my friend that is sure would be nice to have a bunch more...and POOF...had a bunch more a couple days later. He also got a 5 foot by 10 foot sheet of 3/8ths AR500 for me also and cut them to order, but I had to pay for that.....about $12 a square foot.

They are super simple to make. I also made a carrier for them out of a 1 foot in dia by 3 foot long pipe welded to a 2" OD square tube that plugs into the class III hitch on my 4 wheeler.

Good stuff....BIG FUN,

Tod

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    boltfluter and JBT like this.
  14. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks for sharing!

15. 243winxb

243winxb

8" x 1" pipe cap. Coat hangers. 5/8" steel pipe. Wood. With pock marks in metal , shoot no closer then 100 yards. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  16. powderbrake

powderbrake Gold $$ Contributor

Try these;

Full disclosure, this is my son's company.

The bar, legs and mounting plates disassemble without tools and can fit back into the heavy cardboard shipping box. Chains are placed on hooks on the cross bar

https://custommetalprod.com/shooting-targets/gong-targets click on the pics for more info. You can get any target shape you desire.

If you are going to the SHOT show, see him in Booth 1308, (lower level, near the front)

Gong Frame with 16 in Target copy.jpg

17. Dos XX

Dos XX Gold $$ Contributor

18. Gonzos

Gonzos Gold $$ Contributor

Go on Ebay and take a look. There are numerous steel targets and stands and if nothing else they will give you more ideas.

19. FatOldMIHunter

FatOldMIHunter

I plan to do something like this with T-posts and baling wire to hold the top rail to the side posts.

20. fa38

fa38 Silver $$ Contributor

At my range we had concerns about edge hits going out of the property and built a sort of box around the gong to contain ricochets.