Polished Barrel Removal/Installation

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by kvd, Jun 4, 2017.

1. kvd

kvd Silver $$ Contributor

What is the recommended way to remove/install polished barrels without marring them? I have a Brownells barrel vise with aluminum bushings but have never used it and have never seen a polished barrel removed or installed.

Also, what is the recommended torque for re-installation? This will be in a Borden Rimrock BRMXD action.

TIA

Ken

2. ridgeway

ridgeway Silver $$ Contributor

Toilet paper cardboard after you finish a roll, lol

3. kvd

Considered that but thought it would do a crappy job.

kenickie22 likes this.
  4. hammerjack

hammerjack Gold $$ Contributor

I don't know about a Brownell but a Farrell works good.

5. kvd

Not so much worried about the Brownells vise holding the barrel secure. Just don't want to dent or scratch the polished barrel. Since aluminum is softer than steel or stainless steel, is that all I need? - or is something like leather wrapped around the barrel required?

Ken

6. pat fulghum

pat fulghum ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Gold $$ Contributor

Seriously. Use the cardboard toilet paper roll. Slice it long ways to make it fit so it does not overlap and then make sure vice is tight ...real tight, and then a quick motion with action wrench and it should break free

7. RWO

RWO

I make my barrel vise jaws out of glued up, stacked 3/4" plywood sheets to make a 3" cube. I drill through the face grain for the largest barrel dia. and then epoxy bed the barrel to the block. After epoxy cure, knock the block off the barrel and saw in two on the hole dia. Paint the epoxy surface with a rosin lacquer made from powdered rosin dissolved in alcohol or lacquer thinner. After it dries you are ready to remove any barrel without marring. The laminated plywood block is very strong and will not split or crush with reasonable pressure ( under 3 tons) I have removed many barrels, factory and custom and have never damaged the finish. It doesn't require a lot of vice pressure because the fit is perfect.

RWO

8. mikegaiz

mikegaiz Stay frosty, my friend. Silver $$ Contributor

I use an piece of oak that fits my vice 2 x 4 x X, drill a hole the same diameter as the barrel, cut a 1/8 in. slot through the center making 2 haves, Put a heavy coating of Brownells powdered rosin, and clamp solid. This has worked for me. clean resin off with WD40.

9. Someoldguy

Someoldguy Guest

I do the same, except I substitute powdered sugar for the rosin.

10. DaveTooley

DaveTooley Silver $$ Contributor

I use paper from 600 Yd targets and rosin. The rosin is what makes it not slip. Easy clean up.

jdh47 likes this.
  11. savagedasher

savagedasher

I use a barel nut wrench never a problem.
    Larry

12. Kings X

Kings X

Regular paper wrapped around barrel works for me.
    I torque to 100 foot pounds.

swd likes this.
  13. swd

swd Silver $$ Contributor

Regular paper works fine for me too.

14. jkohler

jkohler

Sheetrock paper works good also

jdh47 likes this.
  15. kvd

Thanks all for the good suggestions. It will be awhile before I need to swap out barrels but now I have some ideas to work with. Glad I didn't just blindly clamp the polished barrel up in the aluminum bushings and twist away. Always pays to ask people that have done it before if you don't know.

Ken

16. Rustystud

Rustystud Site $$ Sponsor

Up

17. LarryDScott

LarryDScott Site $$ Sponsor

If its a 700 remington or a custom clone, my barrel
    vise will separate the action from the barrel w/o it being
    marred, and you dont have to use paper, cardboard, rosin
    or leather. It work so simply a cave man can do it. LDS
    www.greatscottshooters.com

alintx likes this.
  18. Rustystud

Rustystud Site $$ Sponsor

One wrap of copy paper and your Brownells barrel vice. Tighten all four vice screws down tight, I use a 1 foot cheater pipe on the Allen wrench.

19. kvd

Man - when you say tighten it down, you're not kidding! Good tip

I'll be using a PMA Action Wrench for Remington 700 and clones (mine is a Borden BRMDX). As I understand it, the best technique is to clamp the barrel up nice and tight and insert the action wrench into the action as far as it will go. Next, put a 5/8 inch socket on the protruding end of the action wrench attached to a reasonable long cheater bar and give the the cheater bar a shape hit in the counterclockwise direction to spin the action loose on the barrel threads.

There is a slight amount of play when the action wrench is inserted into the action. Is this normal?

Ken

20. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Silver $$ Contributor

I prefer Captain Crunch Cereal boxes over Toilet paper rolls. Sprinkle some Brownell's rosin on, tighten nuts up with cheater bar.

bullseyeshooter likes this.