Pointed some bullets

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by bench, Nov 14, 2017.

1. bench

bench Silver $$ Contributor

Thought as I had a ton of time on my hands so I decided I would prep some 90gr VLD for my 223 FTR rig.
    Pointed a batch of 1000
    Weight sorted
    Base to ogive sorted
    Even weighed all the primers
    weight sorted brass
    And now my targets look like I shot at them with a shotgun
    WTH just happened
    Took some of my old loads to compare at the same time and the non pointed loads shot great just like they always do.

2. Stumpy1

Stumpy1

3. Jet

Jet Rich Jette Gold $$ Contributor

It's been my experience that not all bullet designs respond the same to pointing. Treat pointing as part of your tuning process. Do all your standard load development first. Once you have a good tune, conduct a pointing test similar to running a seating depth test. Start with a slight point and increase slightly for each test group fired and see where that takes you.

Test at the distance you compete at if possible.

Good shooting.

Rich

BartsBullets, Northridge and dmoran like this.
  4. Richard Coody

Richard Coody Silver $$ Contributor

5. USMCDOC

USMCDOC Silver $$ Contributor

In my experience with all of the 90's that i have shot, i didn't really see the need to point them up. Yes, i saw a difference in elevation, but i don't think that there was that much of an improvement in the wind to warrant the effort. So i stopped pointing them up. On a lot of the larger caliber bullets, pointing works, i just don't see the point (pun intended!) in doing so with the 224 caliber 90 grain pills.

6. bench

Thanks fellas
    Well I got a pile of pointed bullets and sure dont want to throw them away.
    Do you think I should revisit my seating depth now that they have been pointed??????

7. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

It doesn't take much pressure when pushing down on the bullet when pointing to deform the boat-tail and/or bearing diameter. Any deformation of the boat-tail will greatly effect the way the bullet flies. It's very easy to "over point" bullets causing deformation, that typically can be felt in the amount of force applied in the press handle's stroke.

Personally when I point bullets I am only after uniforming the tips, not after the increase to BC. When I adjust the pointing die down I want very minimal to no force to be felt in the press handle stroke (at the bottom). I also always test the amount that I point and let the target tell me how much to point, and if to point at all. A 0.010" closing to the meplat/tip is typically about the most I ever point my bullets.

My 2-cents
    Donovan

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    BartsBullets and Northridge like this.
  8. jsthntn247

jsthntn247 Silver $$ Contributor

I screwed up a bunch of 90's in the past. What was your pointing procedure?

9. bench

I feel that I pointed correctly and still have the hollow point left open about half of what is was when I started pointing.
    I do not feel that I deformed the bullet in any way I just wanted to uniform the point.
    Now I have a pile of bullets that shoot like hell and will try some seating depth changes to see if I can salvage these bullets.
    I also have a box of sierra (500) which I see are also pointed from the factory and may give them a try.

10. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

@bench -

If your sure you did not deform them, another option you could try/test trimming them, letting the target tell you if it improves there accuracy and by how much to trim.

Good Luck
    Donovan

USMCDOC likes this.
  11. johara1

johara1

Over all length has a lot to do with it I have seen some so called bullet makers with .050+ difference in length. Measure the shank and at the heal of the boat tail before you point and after, if it changes it is junk. I try to hold a couple of thousands in length and run them and set again if the length changes much. You are sitting on the boat tail and the bullet is not supported so be gentle ...... Jim

dmoran likes this.
  12. XTR

XTR

I'm going to be the odd man out here and say you did something else that messed up your load, not pointing the bullets. If you didn't try to close them to a needle point and just closed up all the tips a little it's something else.

I've never shot 90VLDs past 300 yards that were not pointed. I've screwed up my load before, but I've never felt the pointing hurt them. Compare your seating depth to your working load.