Poaching in western NC is alive and well

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by rebel, Nov 29, 2019.

1. rebel

rebel Gold $$ Contributor

Man came into the shop today livid. Mad as hell. Wanted to know if I could check to see if poaching had been reported on a certain road. Come to find out, a mile from my house in one of my ground hog fields. I called my contacts in Enforcement and they all said "Oh Yeah, we heard about that"
    That's great, glad you heard about it. Spotlight is a huge problem here, I know they are understaffed but if less concern would be applied to a certain lake system where rich Nascar boys go to play.......just sayin'
    5 dead bucks. No meat harvested, all decapitated. Some laid out in plain view of the road.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It disgusts me. 5 bucks, it will take some years to recover from this and these boys ain't gonna quit. Matter of time before lights are shined in my field - all I can do is keep the cable up and locked.

DirtySteve likes this.
  2. Tommie

Tommie Gold $$ Contributor

WTF?!

rebel likes this.
  3. rebel

Yeah exact
    Yeah exactly Tommie. I could say more, but I'm mad, disgusted and frankly dishearten. I don't want to disparage our wardens, fine people - but dammit catch these a-holes!

4. Tommie

Tommie Gold $$ Contributor

Indeed. This jerk (or jerks) make Atilla the Hun look like a rank amateur. Disgusting.

rebel likes this.
  5. jmkasza

jmkasza

Makes me sick. Last year there was a massive mule deer shot (at night) just a few miles from me and barely outside the city limits. The poacher(s) were scared off by a passerby and reported to the sheriff, but as far as I know were not caught.

6. Pheasanthunter

Pheasanthunter Gold $$ Contributor

Disgusting

rebel likes this.
  7. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Put up trail cameras and catch them sumbitch's!!

46and2, JayHHI6818, Jalen and 6 others like this.
  8. rebel

Our ( ashamed to say this but true ) own breed of 8th grade educated, semi retarded, meth fueled breed of redneck seems uncannily clever. They tend take the whole deer and sell it, then you have the high end boys with thermals that thrill kill. In some ways I'd rather see the latter busted first. This seems just brazen killing for horns. Trust me, on a Saturday evening in the summer maybe 3 cars go by in an hour - so you can imagine 2 a.m. Wondering if they are suppressed or using a 22 mag, low noise, can't hear it inside your home. IDK.

9. rebel

Hope they have. It's not my property but it does affect me. At 3 bucks per sq. mile on average, what do y'all think this has done here? Answer - devastating.

10. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

I would have no problem administering the death penalty for such scum! And if somebody took it upon themselves to do that "administration" themselves, I would pin a medal on their chest!

boltfluter, Bc'z and rebel like this.
  11. rebel

Would you bring a shovel and some lime?

12. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

I would gladly supply that!

rebel likes this.
  13. rebel

Be careful what you offer and PM your number and how long it would take to get here. It's a timely matter.

14. stacy

stacy 2 TIMOTHY 2 VERUS 15 Silver $$ Contributor

YEA THOSE LO LIFES ARE EVERY WHERE REBEL I LIVE 2 COUNTIES NORTH EAST OF YOU THE LO LIFE SHOT ONE OF MY UNCLES CALFS LAST WEEK STANDING IN THE PASTURE

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  15. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie Gold $$ Contributor

That makes me sick. Obviously, these Azzholes need to be castrated to prevent any further spread of their genes.

16. bluealtered

bluealtered Silver $$ Contributor

This is a nation wide problem, not local. Here in Oregon a few years back myself and three hunting buddy's while out elk hunting watched while five cowboys rounded up about twenty five head of good looking elk and drove them onto a fee hunting ranch from off of public land. I went to the Oregon state police office the next morning and reported it and told them that there were four of us who witnessed this and would say so in court.

I got the dead fish eye look from the officer i was talking to and was told they wouldn't do anything unless i had taped it, ... Darn! Dumb me, I had taken my rifle hunting instead of my camera.
    I saw this play out again at another ranch about fifty miles away a few years later and nothing was done there either. It's one of the reasons i don't elk hunt any more, why should i give the state money for tags when every year it keeps stacking more and more things against the hunters who are trying to do their hunt honestly?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    Bocephus and Bc'z like this.
  17. ckaberna

ckaberna Gold $$ Contributor

DNR issues so many permits for “crop destruction “ around here there is no wonder they don’t care about spotlights. Apparently helps them out. 15 years ago I could ride around the “block” about 5-6 miles and see 80-100 deer. Now if I ride the same area I am lucky to see 2 or 3. It’s sad to sit on the porch in the spring and hear shots being fired over and over with that tell-tell “thump” I know the farmers around here and they need to make a living too, but this seems to be an uncontrolled mass killing. Nothing we can do about it that I know of.

18. Toddmack

Toddmack

Were there any laws broken? While this would piss me off if I was hunting public ground and this happened. That's the nature of hunting Public ground. I'm not trying to start an argument. Where I live, KS, there pretty much is NO public land. So, if I had a ranch in Elk Land that was surrounded by BLM I would definitely send my hands out to round up the closest elk. If there were no laws against it. The place has to make a profit. And after saying that, public land is what it is. YOU GET WHAT YOU GET.

Edit: Sorry OP, I'm in agreement with you but I somehow helped to to de-rail your post.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  19. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Not being argumentative either.

It's called molesting the wildlife.
    If the elk enter your property on their own is 1 thing, hearding them onto your property for personal gain is something else entirely.
    If a rancher wants to provide "canned hunts"
    They can purchase elk for this purpose not rob from our resources.
    It's bad enough our deer and elk numbers are shrinking due to the reintroduction of wolves.
    The wolves introduced in Oregon are a Apex predator from Canada that was never native to our region.
    So here's a scenario
    Say your hunting and you have an elk in your sights....
    And you see a wolf on the hunt for the same elk..
    Where will your shot land?
    Keep in mind it's about the hunt.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  20. Monte F

Monte F Silver $$ Contributor

I may have to shoot twice!:D