Please Welcome Sophie Bryeans (13 years old) to 600 Yard Benchrest!

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by BartsBullets, May 14, 2019.

1. BartsBullets

BartsBullets Gold $$ Contributor

Please Welcome Sophie Bryeans (13 years old) to 600 Yard Benchrest

AEEE9A5C-E8E4-41CB-883F-FABD60F62ACA.jpeg

Sophie shot her first registered 600 yard match at the St Louis Benchrest rifle club this past weekend. Sophie is the daughter of Gaylon Bryeans 2017 600 yard Shooter of The Year! Both Father and Daughter doubled up on Gaylons 6BR with Gaylon preforming coaching duties for Sophie as needed. The amazing thing is right out of the gate Sophie placed 4Th in Heavy Gun Score against a field of seasoned shooters, picking up her first Shooter of the Year Point! Words cannot describe how happy and proud we are that Sophie got off to a fantastic start.

Match Director Steve Wilson had a ring-side seat to watch the interaction between father and daughter and he summed it up much better then I can,

" Sophie shared a bench with her dad, Gaylon. They were next to the bench I shared with my nephew, Scott Knight. Sophie and Scott were on the same relay. I was fortunate to stand behind the firing line and witness the interaction between Sophie and Gaylon as he coached her during the sighter and record fire periods.

Gaylon was standing next to her, looking through a spotting scope as she took her sighters. He would give her instructions on where to aim at the sighter plate and how to adjust the scope for her follow up shots after a bullet strike. Things like, "2 clicks clockwise on the top knob." He also assisted her timing of shooting, as the sighter periods progressed. For instance, say there was about 40 seconds left, she would pick up a round, hold it near the loading port and turn to look at her dad for guidance. He shook his head NO. When the tape announced "30 Seconds" he would nod at her. She grabbed another round, in preparation for her last sighter. Again turning to look at him for guidance. And again another head shake NO. "15 Seconds," A head nod YES.

There was one particular record fire period where she didn't pull the bolt back fast enough and the empty case spun around in the action but didn't eject. She took a loaded round and poked it out of the ejection port, after a few attempts. Gaylon looked through the spotting scope and saw that she had too much horizontal on her record target. The following conversation ensued. Gaylon: "You shot too slow that time, the wind changed and you got horizontal." Sophie responded with exasperation: "Well, you saw that my bullet got stuck."

It was priceless and heart warming to watch the interaction between father and daughter during her very first match. It was a privilege to witness it.

Congratulations to Miss Sophie for her performance. She has a future in 600 Yard competition. And my praises to Gaylon for his tender guidance to his lovely daughter. They made quite the team!

Sophie in action

As you can see Sophie is quite a young lady, she loves sports such as volleyball and basketball. She also enjoys traveling and SHOOTING with her dad and is an avid deer hunter. Sophie has already bagged two bucks (4 pointer and the other an 8). If we roll the clock back to Friday night, Robby Miles brought Sophie a surprise from Memphis to ensure her continued hunting success. Robby and Mike Moses put together a Custom built 6x47 Tac-driver for Sophie that fits her perfectly!
    BC03043D-611D-49D6-98EE-51B03074BBC7.jpeg

So Congratulations Miss Sophie Bryeans! We are very much looking forward to following your shooting career! There are no limits to what you can achieve!

Bart

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    bkluke, Nature Boy, OmegaRed and 40 others like this.
  2. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

Congrats to Sophie and Dad , looks like you two will make a great team. Funny to hear the story of dad and daughter having a serious conversation in the heat of battle...priceless.

3. Steve Wilson

Steve Wilson

Another excellent feature by my friend Bart.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    BartsBullets and Davisduckcalls like this.
  4. gambleone

gambleone Silver $$ Contributor

That's one happy little girl. Good for her.:cool:

mikeinct and BartsBullets like this.
  5. miles13

miles13

She is gonna break some hearts at the shooting matches for sure. I'm proud to call her and Gaylon my friend. Fine job Bart.

Stan Taylor and BartsBullets like this.
  6. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

Great write up Bart,
    Looks like Uncle Bart” better make more Hammers for that young Lady!
    Best Regards
    J

BartsBullets and Stan Taylor like this.
  7. 1shot

1shot Site $$ Sponsor

The phrase "a picture is worth a thousand words" come to mind. The smiles on Sophie's face says it all. A job well done by all,

Lloyd

Termite I, mikeinct and BartsBullets like this.
  8. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor Gold $$ Contributor

Welcome aboard young lady an congrats on your shooting love seeing the young getting into our humble sport.

9. theallcineyes

theallcineyes

Congrats Sophie, Welcome to the shooting world.

10. fultonbig9

fultonbig9 Gold $$ Contributor

Congratulations, that was a great read, you both done outstanding!!

11. rebs

rebs Silver $$ Contributor

Congratulations Sophie, I wish you all the success in the world in your shooting

12. BartsBullets

Here is a pic of Gaylon watching Sophie shoot her group. I tried to get it in the original post but was unable to. However, Gaylon is a great friend, a hell of a competitor, and one fine Father!

Bart

upload_2019-5-15_7-45-3.jpeg

miles13, swd, Termite I and 8 others like this.
  13. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

That is a wonderful report with write-up, stills, video and appropriate advertising for Barts' Bullets in the first picture. Most all posters could learn a lot from your hard work to post all this.

Must have been superb conditions to actually see the horizontal on a record target. Man I near never get anything like that here in Florida. Good reason right there to travel around to other ranges and experience their conditions.

Sure appreciate the posting.

14. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

All you Comp. shooters are in so much trouble.

15. BartsBullets

Sophie and her dad set-up that picture. It was very nice of them to include my logo and bullet box. As long as Sophie is shooting she won’t have to worry about bullets!
    upload_2019-5-15_17-20-48.jpeg

miles13, Bc'z, Nick Caprinolo and 9 others like this.
  16. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

Yep
    I can hear her now,
    Uncle Bart I need more Bullets please :)
    She’s awesome
    J

Nature Boy, Bc'z and BartsBullets like this.
  17. pirate ammo

I've said this before"It's Hammer Time",,at this rate we may as well just go to the range to watch.I need to get me some of them MAGIC bullets.It's a family thing.

BartsBullets, SPJ and 6MMsteve like this.
  18. pirate ammo

Capt.Dan has a plan.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

19. Dub

Dub Silver $$ Contributor

this is beyond spectacular. My congrats to the young lady and respect to her father and family.

BartsBullets and pirate ammo like this.
  20. pirate ammo

Dub,,she has MAGIC bullets

Dub likes this.