Please any advantages to straightline BR .22 rimfire stock? Vs one like this?

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by tothemax, Nov 3, 2018.

1. tothemax

tothemax

Please any advantages to straightline BR .22 rimfire stock? Vs one like this?

I am using a one piece benchrest and a stock with a pretty steep angle on the underside as show below. When the gun free recoils, the muzzle and scope starts moving in an upwardly direction and points up a the rifle moves back.

I cannot imaging this movement does not affect accuracy? Maybe the bullet is already out before noticeable movement upwards?

Would a straightline stock like the KSS McMillan Straightline Edge Solid Fill Stock or other similar design with a flat straight line in the
    underside be more stable as the bullet is leaving the barrel and provide more accuracy?

Thank you

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tim s

Tim s

That is not a straight line stock, in either pic.
    The bottom of the buttstock would be parallel to the bottom of the forend.

NorCalMikie likes this.
  3. Tim s

Tim s

F7C3F789-007F-458A-9D31-D9776CADB02C.png

perry42 and NorCalMikie like this.
  4. tothemax

tothemax

Yes, Thank you.. This is the kind of stock I am considering instead of the one I currently have shown above in the red and black..

My question is will this kind of stock with bottom of the buttstock would be parallel to the bottom of the forend improve my accuracy?

tnx

5. USMCDOC

USMCDOC Silver $$ Contributor

It seems to me to that the "straight line" McMillan stock style is used by quite a few shooters.

daleboy likes this.
  6. 1911mag

1911mag Silver $$ Contributor

98F57F88-FCE3-4073-8C73-31D2319FE2B1.jpeg
    In my opinion changing to a straight line stock will not improve your accuracy from your current stock. My stock is not a straight line and I use a cord to control recoil on a 1pc rest. There are more gains by ammo testing and sorting that lot and rifle tunning in my opinion.

zeke06 likes this.
  7. Rsadams

Rsadams

+1 on this in my opinion.... Your not dealing with recoil in Rimfire and you would probably get better results from your dollars by ammo testing , wind reading skills and trigger time... If you have the extra money just to try it I guess go for it , if you don't like it you can sell it or use it to build something else... But using a 1 PC rest I personally don't see the advantages being huge... But there's so many different things to take into account such as shooting styles and confidence it's hard to say , sometimes something that may give you more confidence will help even though in reality it shouldn't... Just by looking at your pictures you seem to be well past just beginning , so you already know how funny Rimfire can be to changes...

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    perry42 and NorCalMikie like this.
  8. mongo chicago

mongo chicago

The reason shooters have a straight line bottom stock is that it is easier to have it sit on a rear sand bag and during recoil (with more powerful cartridges) it slides straight rearward without falling off.

Rsadams likes this.
  9. Tim s

Tim s

You’re stock may be replaced IF.
    The bigger issue, IMHO, is that modern stocks now incorporate a 1/2” flat surface along the bottom of the butt.
    If you are shooting off a 2piece rest with bags, you want that flat section right on the bottom of a bag with properly spaced ears.
    If a one piece rest that surface is way ahead of the constant radius of your older stock.
    Several use the Straightline.....far from conclusive as to whether it is any better.
    You pays your money, you takes your chances.
    Were it I, I’d give Tom Meredith a call and have him put your metal in one of his TMBR stocks, none better in the USA . I use three of them.
    Gordon Eck would use nothing, nobody else over the last several years.

10. tothemax

tothemax

Thank you everyone ... much appreciate the great advice... all the best and happy shooting .. P

11. JMayo

JMayo

Plenty of those stocks used in ara on a one piece rest and on two piece/rear sand. There are some that are even more aggressive of a slanted stock ...
    Mine is not a straight line but it's close.

Kinda one of those "if ya want it get it"
    That's a beautiful stock you have btw.
    Here is mine and a friends straight line in the back ground Concrete rifle bench at LA.jpg

12. tothemax

tothemax

Thank you for your response.... Looks like we have the same benchrest... Cliff Arnold's ? I upgraded my two pce for that one.... At least I got the right benchrest :)

Beautiful rifle BTW

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    JMayo likes this.
  13. JMayo

JMayo

Yep Cliffs rest are a great rest !
    I met him & his wife in VA a few years ago. He's a great guy, great ppl.
    He shoots good too.
    My friend here and I spent the day trying to get some eley to shoot ... Terrible lott ...I may be getting out. Just not competitive with any ammo I can get a hold of.

14. USMCDOC

Just sold my 10X rest, now i am on the list for a new PQP rest

15. JMayo

JMayo

I don't know what either of those are :/
    Oh I see it's one of Dans new rest. Pqp

USMCDOC likes this.
  16. USMCDOC

Jerry Stiller is making them

The one that i sold was a Shotmaster 10X, which i believe Dan used to sell as well.. for the tune of 1100.00 according to Paul T.

JMayo likes this.
  17. Tim s

Tim s

FWIW, I got one about a month ago(and I don’t even shoot ARA)and it is an absolute marvel, Stiller did a magnificent job.
    To be able to control the joystick windage as well as the vertices knob all without moving your hand is some damn slick engineering, just a beautifully machined piece of equipment.

JMayo likes this.
  18. JMayo

JMayo

I'm trying to sell 6 bricks eley 1018 0537.
    It's not ARA competeable. I think it would score good on a round target at distance. Hits inside a quarter every time, a dime most the time.
    If y'all know anyone that wants some really good hunting ammo send them my way.
    11.oo a box.